Shimano brakes

Feb. 11, 2020, 11:22 a.m.

This thread inspired me to take a second look at my XT 8020s that have a wandering bite when cold. 

I ran about three bleed funnels through each brake, using a syringe at the caliper for a vacuum. The old fluid was filthy! I also extended the pistons a little and lubed them before resetting, and rigged up a fork mount on my garage wall to hold the bike vertically for the back brake. 

They feel a lot better, and I hope will work a lot better.

Feb. 12, 2020, 6:14 a.m.

ReductiMat.

I use that method from Santa cruz mechanic  every time and never have any issues with my shiminao brakes. His bleeding method makes so much sense to just let gravity do the job. I like my bite point close to the bar. I suggest others try this way and see what happens.

Feb. 12, 2020, 11:08 p.m.

If I recall right, Shimano did recommend the gravity bleed in their manuals even way back. (My 755 XT´s manual stated this way back). Of course they didn't recommend it WITHOUT the bleed nipple, but with a hose attached. And without spilling oil all over the procedure is even simpler. Dirt gets flushed out anyway? 

Or are there any other advantages without the bleed nipple?

Feb. 13, 2020, 2:12 p.m.

Posted by: Znarf

If I recall right, Shimano did recommend the gravity bleed in their manuals even way back. (My 755 XT´s manual stated this way back). Of course they didn't recommend it WITHOUT the bleed nipple, but with a hose attached. And without spilling oil all over the procedure is even simpler. Dirt gets flushed out anyway? 

Or are there any other advantages without the bleed nipple?

I definitely had to use some vacuum to get fluid through in any reasonable quantity. I don't know how "one way bleeding" functions, but removing the nipple may make it easier at the cost of some cleanup.

I left it in.

Feb. 13, 2020, 9:31 p.m.

I have had numerous sets of XT, xtr, and slx brakes on various bikes. Most of them suffered to some degree from inconsistent bite point. Performing a good bleed usually helped, but did not eliminate the problem. I have recently switched to Zee's, and They seem much more consistent and solid. Great brakes if you like Shimano.

Feb. 26, 2020, 2:52 p.m.

I've been on Zee's all last year and had no issues. I rode 2 piston SLX for a few years with no issues either. Maybe I just adapted to/didn't notice the wandering bite point....Building a new bike now with the new SLX 4 piston so hope all stays good!

Feb. 27, 2020, 1:41 a.m.

My new 8120 XT 4piston brakes work great so far. They are a bit stronger and modulation is a tad more predictable compared to my 8020s (which are good, except for the flexy lever clamps).

I really like the wider lever blades. Bitepoint is pretty consistent so far.

Annoying: I-Spec EV might be a great thing, but with adapters and some fettling to fit Ispec II (which works) ergonomics are not ideal. My matchmaker compatible wolftooth remote is angled too far away, my ispecII-XT-trigger sits too close to the bars. It works, but not great.

Last edited by: Znarf on Feb. 27, 2020, 1:42 a.m., edited 1 time in total.