Shift from Marz to Boxxers

May 8, 2011, 11:53 p.m.

Hey,
iv been out of the bikin scene for a few years and am just getting back into it. I noticed that most companies (kona, norco…etc) are now all using boxxers on there DH/FR bikes. What happend to Mar? 888 use to be on most factory bikes.

(\ /)
(O.o) help bunny achieve world domination. sig him.
(> <)

May 9, 2011, 12:17 a.m.

It's all a weight game nowadays. Boxxers are light and the low end models are cheap.

May 9, 2011, 9:20 a.m.

Marzo tried to compete in the light weight game and got spanked a few years back.. their stuff either didnt work or was not as competitive..

so they went back to the older style full oil/coil cartridge forks…

but yea, they arent the player in the DH scene..

May 9, 2011, 9:48 a.m.

Marzocchi had a few tough years but it looks like their new product is doing well. The new 888s look awesome.

Boxxers are light and relatively cheap to spec on a bike compared to a Fox.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 9, 2011, 10:19 a.m.

I was loyal to Marzocchi up to '08 when it all went wrong with their air forks. Used Fox in '09 and liked it, used a Boxxer WC in '10 and hated every second of it (very inconsistent fork to fork performance) but my bike was light, back to Marz this year with a 888 RC3 EVO Ti and I'm in love. I want to buy ten so I can run them until I'm in the grave they're that good.

Sustainable will be around forever.

May 9, 2011, 10:23 a.m.

Marzo tried to compete in the light weight game and got spanked a few years back.. their stuff either didnt work or was not as competitive..

so they went back to the older style full oil/coil cartridge forks…

but yea, they arent the player in the DH scene..

???

the 888 is top notch

competitive weight
superior reliability
superior performance

the sram and fox marketing folks have obviously gotten to you too

888=2990g
Boxxer WC=2714g
40=3088g

no dorado mentioned as i have no first hand experience with it

May 9, 2011, 10:39 a.m.

???

the 888 is top notch
the sram and fox marketing folks have obviously gotten to you too

I read this to mean that while the forks are good again, their reputation still hasn't recovered. But actually, I don't remember them ever being a player in the WC DH scene?

Sustainable will be around forever.

May 9, 2011, 10:48 a.m.

I read this to mean that while the forks are good again, their reputation still hasn't recovered. But actually, I don't remember them ever being a player in the WC DH scene?

SRAM will presumably have a larger marketing budget. Plus, historically Marz aimed their marketing towards cliff jumpers.

Personally I couldn't care less what a WC DH racer runs, because their mechanic will be rebuilding it after every race.

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 9, 2011, 11:05 a.m.

Had a marzocchi 888 EVO last year, awesome fork.

now for some emotion:
:announce::fu:

:banana::orly::orly::orly::banana::germany::pizza::rave::):iceland:

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

May 9, 2011, 11:38 a.m.

When it comes to specing a mid range bike to keep it affordable and light the only option currently is a boxxer. The 888 Ti is a sick fork agreed but still expensive. Rock Shox has it figures out with the race. Light and cheap, perfect oem mid range price point fork.

May 9, 2011, 11:44 a.m.

If you can afford it, the 888 Evo Ti is a top contender in the suspension game.

May 9, 2011, 12:10 p.m.

Reliability issues pushed Marz out of favour in the OEM market in the first place.

Now that they got their shit back together the OEM DH scene is all about low cost and light weight which the Boxxer range deals with very well. You can say that the 888 evo ti is a better fork than the world cup boxxer and competitive in weight but the problem is that most companies like norco offer a cheaper build option as well. For this the boxxer race is much cheaper and lighter, add in the competitive middle ground of the team (R2C2) and from there its just easier for a company to stick the Boxxer range of forks on their varying valued builds.

I like the new Marz better but it's easy to see why SRAM is running the OEM show.