serious tubeless blues summer 2018

Aug. 31, 2018, 8:56 p.m.

^No.

IMO Gorilla Tape is the worst thing to use on rims.  It's not waterproof. It's a sticky mess to remove.  It's not cheap. It's thick AF. ENVE used to supply it with their tubeless kits...

If I run tubes on wheel; I'll line the rim with electrical tape.  If I run tubeless I now use tubeless tape.  

Pro Tip: WAO sell tubeless tape for cheap

Sept. 1, 2018, 10:03 a.m.

My dt swiss wheels came taped. Changed 10+ tires on the rear in 2 years, never had to retape. Way better than Gorilla Tape which I would need to fix constantly.

Sept. 4, 2018, 6:40 a.m.

I have been using Gorilla tape for years without much issue.  Yes, it will break down over time and need to be replaced and become a bit of a cleaning mess.  Never really bothered much.  

My last set of wheels came pre-taped for tubeless. Might need to re-tape them pretty soon, starting to loose air every other ride.  Might get some tubeless tape this time. 

What is WAO?

Sept. 4, 2018, 11:02 a.m.

We Are One Composites.  Looks like they no longer sell it on their site though... :( 

mtbr has a massive tubeless tape thread.  Basically tubeless tape is Tessa #----

Sept. 4, 2018, 4:38 p.m.

Stans sells good tubless tape. No problems yet. As for with tubed setups, I would not use electrical tape unless you are doing multiple wraps. Its too thin and the tube pushes through as the tape is too thin and gets cut by the side of the spoke hole. Usually doesn't happen right away but it is a shifty way to get a flat.