serious tubeless blues summer 2018

Aug. 24, 2018, 9:08 p.m.

I suppose the first question is what Tire, what rim? Also, were all the tires "tubless ready"? What kind of flat did you get that a tube couldn't fix? 

Type of sealant doesn't matter that much in my experience. I am not an expert on Tire beads and rims but I know there are some combos that shouldn't be used as there is risk of having the Tire blow off the rim like your wife had happen. 

As for fixing flats on the trail, you need to get a plug kit. I have used two different ones and the only hole you wouldn't be able to fix would be a fairly large tear, which a tube would likely not fix well either. You would need a boot. Check out dynaplug or get a one up kit with a Tire plugging attachment. Lastly, I use a heavier Tire than I would with a tube. Although the tube is not by definition part of the structural integrity of the Tire it does do more than you think so to make up for the loss of the tube I use a more robust Tire.

Aug. 25, 2018, 12:26 a.m.

Half cup? 

As in the kitchen measurement or a half cup of the red cup supplied with Stan’s bottles? 

Are you using off the shelf product or some home brew?

Maybe try adding glitter to your tubeless ¯\(ツ)/¯ 

New tyres or old ones?

Aug. 25, 2018, 9:38 p.m.

I think I use about 200ml of Stan's in 27.5x2.5WT Maxxis TR and Schwalbe 27.5x2.35 TLEasy tires... knock on wood only rear flatted the Schwalbe twice (DH bike, cased hard running too low pressure and burped it, sealed up fine after).

I assume you checked the rim to make sure no major dents or issues that could impair sealing?

Aug. 26, 2018, 5:19 a.m.

Spank rims , Maxxis tires , and Stans Race is my combo . Only one flat and it was the valve stem . I have punched holes in the tire and had them self seal. I do top the fluid up every few months if I get leaks . Rear tire typically has more issues than front if a problem pops up.

Aug. 28, 2018, 8 a.m.

I had a tire that got a hole and wouldn't seal, so I used a tube for the rest of the tires life and guess what, it wasn't the end of the world

Aug. 28, 2018, 12:09 p.m.

I feel like if in years past it worked and now it doesn't, maybe your tape is a contributing factor. The adhesive weakens o er time and taking tires on and off speeds it's demise.

100ml sealant (2 scoops) minimum is what everyone I know is running.

If your current tubeless plugs aren't doing it, maybe packing a car tire repair kit is an option. Doesn't take up much more space and the plugs are godzilla size.

Aug. 28, 2018, 12:09 p.m.

I feel like if in years past it worked and now it doesn't, maybe your tape is a contributing factor. The adhesive weakens o er time and taking tires on and off speeds it's demise.

100ml sealant (2 scoops) minimum is what everyone I know is running.

If your current tubeless plugs aren't doing it, maybe packing a car tire repair kit is an option. Doesn't take up much more space and the plugs are godzilla size.

Aug. 29, 2018, 1:41 p.m.

+1 to what Hepcat said.  IME mystery tubeless problems are generally due to the tape or the valve, and they can crop up on previously reliable setups right after messing with a tire or the valve in some way.  If everything doesn't go back on first try I start from scratch.  At least, that's what I should do.

Gorilla tape in a 1" width works for me.

Aug. 29, 2018, 9:13 p.m.

I still go with tubes. The heavy dh ones. I also line my rims with a 1 inch strip of gorilla tape. I don't get many flats. Call me old school, but it seems to me going tubeless is alot of trouble & mess.

Thread killer

Aug. 30, 2018, 9:38 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

+1 to what Hepcat said.  IME mystery tubeless problems are generally due to the tape or the valve, and they can crop up on previously reliable setups right after messing with a tire or the valve in some way.  If everything doesn't go back on first try I start from scratch.  At least, that's what I should do.

Yup yup yup , all my issues have been related mostly too the stem , or poor tape seal. The right prep helps , Mike from Spank told me to make sure the alcohol you use to wipe the rim is pure .

Some brands have a percentage of silicone and it can cause issues with the tape sticking poorly. Another issue causing poor tape seal is the oil in your hands . I noticed that using my fingers to fit the tape to the rim caused issues on the 2nd layer .

For tape I use the Spank tape , valve stems I use Orange.

Aug. 30, 2018, 9:56 a.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Posted by: tashi

Yup yup yup , all my issues have been related mostly too the stem , or poor tape seal. The right prep helps , Mike from Spank told me to make sure the alcohol you use to wipe the rim is pure .

Some brands have a percentage of silicone and it can cause issues with the tape sticking poorly. Another issue causing poor tape seal is the oil in your hands . I noticed that using my fingers to fit the tape to the rim caused issues on the 2nd layer .

For tape I use the Spank tape , valve stems I use Orange.

I don't use alcohol for cleaning much because of the different make-up and additives ... I would try tolulene or acetone

Aug. 30, 2018, 2:31 p.m.

Uhhhhh....yucko. Tyre sealent so messy, I just run mine dry.

Aug. 31, 2018, 8:56 p.m.

^No.

IMO Gorilla Tape is the worst thing to use on rims.  It's not waterproof. It's a sticky mess to remove.  It's not cheap. It's thick AF. ENVE used to supply it with their tubeless kits...

If I run tubes on wheel; I'll line the rim with electrical tape.  If I run tubeless I now use tubeless tape.  

Pro Tip: WAO sell tubeless tape for cheap

Sept. 1, 2018, 10:03 a.m.

My dt swiss wheels came taped. Changed 10+ tires on the rear in 2 years, never had to retape. Way better than Gorilla Tape which I would need to fix constantly.

Sept. 4, 2018, 6:40 a.m.

I have been using Gorilla tape for years without much issue.  Yes, it will break down over time and need to be replaced and become a bit of a cleaning mess.  Never really bothered much.  

My last set of wheels came pre-taped for tubeless. Might need to re-tape them pretty soon, starting to loose air every other ride.  Might get some tubeless tape this time. 

What is WAO?