Selling into the US

July 17, 2013, 8:14 a.m.

I have a buyer lined up for a bike I have, he lives in the States and he's going to get his bro who lives Blaine to pay me for it. I would have to take the bike down to him.

Anyone sold a bike over the border like this before? Will I have any issues with Border services? I'm not a fan of them so I'd like to know before hand if I will face potential problems…

July 17, 2013, 8:19 a.m.

does Washington have a Stand Your Ground law?

July 17, 2013, 8:34 a.m.

I have a buyer lined up for a bike I have, he lives in the States and he's going to get his bro who lives Blaine to pay me for it. I would have to take the bike down to him.

Anyone sold a bike over the border like this before? Will I have any issues with Border services? I'm not a fan of them so I'd like to know before hand if I will face potential problems…

I made the mistake of declaring my intentions to the border guard at the booth and ended up being told to go into Customs. Once there I was told that I wasn't allowed to enter the US to sell the bike without a valid work permit. Fortunately, the buyer was at the Duty Free across the street, he came over to where we were and Customs turned the other way while we conducted our transaction since technically we were not in the US yet.

The moral of the story, as said by the border guard: "I really wish you hadn't told me that."

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

July 17, 2013, 8:49 a.m.

Just say your going riding at some of the spots in Bellingham, do not say your crossing to sell your bike to an American.
If you declare this…You will get sent in and probably put on "the list" which will cause you to get called into customs eveytime your leaving the country via road or Airport.

Just cross like many CDN's do for a bike ride in Bellingham …then go about your business and return to Canada

July 17, 2013, 8:50 a.m.

I sold a bike in Blaine a couple months ago. I decided to ride Bellingham during the same trip, so I had 2 bikes on top. They asked me why I had 2 bikes and I told them I was dropping one off for service. As mentioned by others, I’d wear a cycling jersey and tell them you’re going for a ride.

One thing that was less than ideal was that the buyer paid me in small bills. The stack of cash was ridiculous. In hindsight, I would have told the guy to pay me in big bills.

July 17, 2013, 8:57 a.m.

Why not just have the purchaser cross the border and meet you in Canada. Then it's his problem.

July 17, 2013, 9:14 a.m.

Cross border. Sell bike. Fill up with gas. Grab a case of cheap beer. Hit up costco. Get new car tires and return home.

The trick with the border guards is to believe your own lies.

July 17, 2013, 10:56 a.m.

Obama is watching so maybe be honest at the line

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 17, 2013, 12:26 p.m.

The moral of the story, as said by the border guard: "I really wish you hadn't told me that."

In this case, I'd go with this. Tell customs you're crossing to gas up and buy some cheap groceries while you're in the area. Or maybe pick up some packages at Hagens.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 17, 2013, 12:53 p.m.

This is all fine and dandy, but I'm sure they're going to question why I came down with a bike and didn't come back with one…. Which is my biggest concern.

July 17, 2013, 1:10 p.m.

"Stupid America - It was stolen right off my roof while I was in Costco/paying for gas/getting an Arbys roast beast - I hate America let me back in please!"

That is if they ask, or even notice, which is unlikely.

July 17, 2013, 1:44 p.m.

This is all fine and dandy, but I'm sure they're going to question why I came down with a bike and didn't come back with one…. Which is my biggest concern.

how would the Can customs know you had a bike when you went thru US customs?

July 17, 2013, 6:19 p.m.

just don't sell it for more than $10K. then you're really in trouble.

July 17, 2013, 7:34 p.m.

how would the Can customs know you had a bike when you went thru US customs?

If its outside the car or truck they can see a photo of when you went across. Considering the person in question has a truck it would be quite obvious.

July 17, 2013, 8:11 p.m.

If its outside the car or truck they can see a photo of when you went across. Considering the person in question has a truck it would be quite obvious.

Canada Customs only cares about what you're bringing home.