seized bb in a steel frame

May 4, 2016, 12:14 p.m.

^man, an impact gun will change your life. can also easily pop off cassettes without using a chainwhip. and spin off half a dozen rotor bolts in seconds. etc. love mine.

ugh, really? i've always avoided power tools on bikes; worried about stripping bolts, etc.

generally if i can't get something unthreaded with a hand tool, there's a problem, and simply applying more torque isn't the solution

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 4, 2016, 12:28 p.m.

^primarily for expediency, more than anything. i never have stuff seize on me. i could pull everything out by hand, but power tools rule. brrraaaap!

May 4, 2016, 1:06 p.m.

We need updates man.

May 4, 2016, 1:11 p.m.

this thread is why I do all my own maintenance. does anyone use a crowbar and sledge hammer?? I've seen shop guys do scary stuff.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 4, 2016, 1:17 p.m.

Needs more torque.

This will fix it.

May 4, 2016, 7:36 p.m.

I'd like to know how that got seized so badly.

Oh, and a torch works good on something that's seized. You don't really care about how strong your VB will be after, right?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 4, 2016, 8:07 p.m.

I'd like to know how that got seized so badly.

If I was a betting man I'd guess Bogey nailed the answer above.

Any luck yet Boom?

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

May 4, 2016, 9:17 p.m.

Needs more torque.

This will fix it.

I've got a hydraulic wrench here that will do 4000 ft/lbs….hook that up to the 13:1 multiplier and you're golden.

I recently had a drive side cup come out of a frame with no threads left on the cup…OEM build.

Coppercoat ftw.

Pastor of Muppets

May 4, 2016, 10:28 p.m.

I just recently got one of these at my shop, different brand but same idea. The coil come in different sizes. Would be perfect for a bb. Find someone who has one. Or come to my shop and well give it a try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyZEaPQinO0

http://carcraftautorepair.ca/

Follow Us On FaceBook

May 5, 2016, 9:55 a.m.

We need updates man.

Any luck yet Boom?

sorry, i've been busy riding, watching basketball, going to the park with the little guy, etc.

shit's seized; it isn't going anywhere ;)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 5, 2016, 12:36 p.m.

Do what I do in these sorts of situations. Give up and take it to the lbs.
:pizza:

Really? You trust your local shop rat that much? Not me. Nobody else ever works on my bike. (Speaking as the father of a local shop rat).

May 5, 2016, 1:16 p.m.

Really? You trust your local shop rat that much?

dude,

May 5, 2016, 6:07 p.m.

dude,

In this case Skooks is the troll. There are plenty of very skilled and experienced professional bike mechanics in greater Vancouver that could easily sort a less mechanically able rider out in this situation.

I guess it's great if he does all his own work -- few people do/can -- otherwise if his local shop doesn't have one he should consider a switch, whether his kid works there or not.

Hope it's coming along Boom. If you are feeling over your head and want a recommendation for some help don't be shy.

May 5, 2016, 6:40 p.m.

In this case Skooks is the troll. There are plenty of very skilled and experienced professional bike mechanics in greater Vancouver that could easily sort a less mechanically able rider out in this situation.

i go back and forth on this. i feel like I know as many competent home mechanics as I do riders who feel like they have access to a competent mechanic working in a local shop - and that Venn diagram has a lot of overlap going on. no, we can't all do our own repairs - but neither are we all lucky enough to have access to good service from our local bike store. we're spoiled in Vancouver and on the north shore - but in my experience, if you've got an issue that can't be solved by "throwing the old one out and replacing it with a new one" you're as likely as not to be SOL at your LBS :(

May 5, 2016, 9:01 p.m.

i go back and forth on this. i feel like I know as many competent home mechanics as I do riders who feel like they have access to a competent mechanic working in a local shop - and that Venn diagram has a lot of overlap going on. no, we can't all do our own repairs - but neither are we all lucky enough to have access to good service from our local bike store. we're spoiled in Vancouver and on the north shore - but in my experience, if you've got an issue that can't be solved by "throwing the old one out and replacing it with a new one" you're as likely as not to be SOL at your LBS :(

Just last week one of my buddies was complaining about the service he gets at a local coffee shop. I mean really F***ing douchebag grumpy attitude bad service. Not even a proper acknowledgement. "What do you want?". Still don't know his order even though he gets exactly the same thing every day.

Coffee's good. Food's good. Service sucks.

And I sort of listened along nodding my head, but the thing is I frequent this coffee shop maybe ~50% of the amount of time he does (maybe less) and I think the staff are a total riot. Super nice. Polite. Great stories. Smiles when I come in. Know my name. Comp me a drink every once in a while.

Coffee's good. Food's good. Service is amazing.

He spends at least 4x the money in the place a year that I do. Probably much more as I generally just get a coffee.

There are two morals to the story:

1) With relationships you usually get out what you put in, and I'm not just talking about spending X number of dollars to get some special bro-crap treatment. I'm talking about recognizing that while there are lots of seasonal staff working in the bike industry there are also some real professionals that deserve to be treated as such.

2) Even if the level of service you get from a local shop isn't great that doesn't mean that the coffee isn't excellent. And in this case, if you want someone to get that bottom bracket out for you without f'ing your frame up there are lots of professionals in Greater Vancouver who would be happy to charge you a fair labour rate to do it.