Secret Cycles, Closed?

Oct. 6, 2015, 7:02 p.m.

What about Dandy Horse?!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 6, 2015, 7:34 p.m.

^^are you talking about Caps.

Yeah I was. Pretty tough to go head to head with a chain of 4 shops.

Westwood Caps has some good individual staff. But is certainly not based around catering to the sort of cyclists that frequent NSMB.

Oct. 7, 2015, 1:07 p.m.

While not specifically in the Tri-Cities, across the street from the Tri-Cities should count… so basically it's Kinetik, Kinetik… or if Kinetik's closed, wait for Kinetik to open.

Barring that, Sport Chek?

If there's anywhere in the Lower Mainland that is close to tons of amazing riding, great trail stewardship, and a growing network of riding, it's the Tri-Cities. Similarly, if there's anywhere in the Lower Mainland that could actually see a new service-oriented mid-upper end bike shop be viable, it's the Tri-Cities. Especially more east. Kinetik can handle the west (Burnaby, Eagle) and a new shop could service the Burke world and the growth in PoCo and Eastern Coquitlam.

The problem is that once you opened and started competing with Caps they would just tell distributors to not serve you or else they'll stop placing orders. Caps has the tri-cities on lock.

Oct. 8, 2015, 9:30 a.m.

What about Dandy Horse?!

the mechanic there ( Jason ) is a killer dude to deal with he worked at the Caps in MR for a while as was the only reason i bought from that store .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 8, 2015, 9:35 a.m.

The problem is that once you opened and started competing with Caps they would just tell distributors to not serve you or else they'll stop placing orders. Caps has the tri-cities on lock.

it,s not just Caps , Norco threw the screws too alot of dealers a couple years back . they wanted more then most smaller shops where willing to put on the line . Caps stepped in and met Norco,s needs .

the 3 most successful shops that where in the tri-cites are now all defunct , The Ridge , AKA , and the old Cyclepath when Kam owned it .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 8, 2015, 10:27 a.m.

Overtime in Coquitlam closed down too.

I've had good experience with the Caps in New West. They are my go to LBS since I live just across the river from them. (The manager of the store used to post on NSMB, not sure if she still does or not. She is has been heavily involved in women's mtn biking over the years.)

Oct. 8, 2015, 2:33 p.m.

Overtime in Coquitlam closed down too.

I've had good experience with the Caps in New West. They are my go to LBS since I live just across the river from them. (The manager of the store used to post on NSMB, not sure if she still does or not. She is has been heavily involved in women's mtn biking over the years.)

It should be noted that the Caps in New West is actually a standalone store, and is actually not affiliated with any of the other Caps stores. They are in fact in the process of rebranding their name to "The Original Bike Shop" so people won't keep getting them confused with the chain of Caps stores.

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

Oct. 8, 2015, 5:11 p.m.

it,s not just Caps , Norco threw the screws too alot of dealers a couple years back . they wanted more then most smaller shops where willing to put on the line . Caps stepped in and met Norco,s needs .

the 3 most successful shops that where in the tri-cites are now all defunct , The Ridge , AKA , and the old Cyclepath when Kam owned it .

AKA will always hold a fond place in my heart. I lived with Ian, his girlfriend and best friend for about a year. Probably one of the most fun times of my life.

Oct. 8, 2015, 8:58 p.m.

AKA will always hold a fond place in my heart. I lived with Ian, his girlfriend and best friend for about a year. Probably one of the most fun times of my life.

Ian was pretty much everything that is needed in the LBS world. Exceptional, over the top service. AKA was the first bike shop I ever visited, bought all my first gear there.

Oct. 9, 2015, 1:13 a.m.

My first Brodie came from AKA, I remember falling in love with a olive green demo 8 when it first came out there

Oct. 9, 2015, 6:36 p.m.

Bought many a bike from AKA.

I still have one of their jerseys.

Ian airbrushed my first MTB full face, and I still have it on my helmet display shelf as Skulls and Flames are awesome! It's too bad I ride like a powder puff…

Oct. 10, 2015, 9:49 a.m.

Ian's old partner Dave is still in MR area , have seen him around but never really chatted with him .

Another dude i pump into from time to time is the old owner of Krankin and Karvin , Shawn .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 10, 2015, 5:36 p.m.

Ian's old partner Dave is still in MR area , have seen him around but never really chatted with him .

Another dude i pump into from time to time is the old owner of Krankin and Karvin , Shawn .

That was another awesome shop! I met my wife to be there!

I heard Shawn was working at a glass company.

Oct. 11, 2015, 9:06 a.m.

Bought many a bike from AKA.

I still have one of their jerseys.

Ian airbrushed my first MTB full face, and I still have it on my helmet display shelf as Skulls and Flames are awesome! It's too bad I ride like a powder puff…

That would have been Matt that painted your helmet. He now owns NRC Hobby Shop in Nanaimo. Ian owns Tacos Del Norte in Penticton now, crazy good eats!

Oct. 11, 2015, 9:37 a.m.

yesh Matt did some decent airbrush work , i still remember when he busted his ankle at Bear in the parking lot after a race , freaking nasty .

#northsidetrailbuilders