Secret Cycles, Closed?

Sept. 26, 2015, 9:19 p.m.

Thank You
Secret Cycles is now closed. We thank you all for your support over the past 8 years. Enjoy the ride.

When did Secret close?

Sept. 26, 2015, 10:41 p.m.

A few weeks ago. It was a sad sight when they were closing down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Sept. 27, 2015, 4:25 p.m.

That's sad to hear. Great road bike store. Thank goodness Kinetik Cycles opened up near Burquitlam Plaza. Awesome service and stocked with a ton-0-stuff. Candy store of Mtn Bikes. Yum.

Sept. 27, 2015, 7:35 p.m.

That's sad to hear. Great road bike store. Thank goodness Kinetik Cycles opened up near Burquitlam Plaza. Awesome service and stocked with a ton-0-stuff. Candy store of Mtn Bikes. Yum.

Was in there this weekend … place is pretty hopping with ppl looking for the good stuff. The guys looked at my bike while I waited and fixed my minor problem no charge. Got me back out on the trails while the sun was still shining.

:canada: :england:

Sept. 28, 2015, 9:40 a.m.

Yes, sad to see it go, as I always wanted to love it given how close it is to my house. The guys were always friendly and I know they did bike check days for bike carnivals at my kids' school.

That said, they always seemed to miss the mark in the basics. Given their friendly nature and walkable distance from my house, I went by there several times for small and basic parts and only once was able to get what I needed. Once for a headset spacer, once for chainring bolts, and once for a shock pump. They always kindly offered to order one in, but in the day of online shopping, i'm going to my LBS for convenience.

It just seemed like whoever was stocking the store, was missing the basics… even though it's a primarily road bike store.

Unlike Kinetik, on Clarke, who has really seemed to dial in exactly where an LBS should focus these days - a high level of available parts for immediate repairs and a big selection of the "touch and feel" kinda' stuff that people like to see before they buy and then walk away feeling immediately gratified. Anyone that's not visited Fabian at Kinetik should do so. They also have a nicely curated selection of bikes and frames - grabbed my Transition Patrol frame there at the start of the year for a very competitive price. Hopefully they will continue to fair well against the interwebz.

Sept. 28, 2015, 10:32 a.m.

One more for Kinetik. Been dealing with Fabien for about a year now and have been nothing but pleased with the service and price. Helped me out of a jam two days before I was heading to Silverstar this July.

Sept. 28, 2015, 7:19 p.m.

Yes, sad to see it go, as I always wanted to love it given how close it is to my house. The guys were always friendly and I know they did bike check days for bike carnivals at my kids' school.

That said, they always seemed to miss the mark in the basics. Given their friendly nature and walkable distance from my house, I went by there several times for small and basic parts and only once was able to get what I needed. Once for a headset spacer, once for chainring bolts, and once for a shock pump. They always kindly offered to order one in, but in the day of online shopping, i'm going to my LBS for convenience.

It just seemed like whoever was stocking the store, was missing the basics… even though it's a primarily road bike store.

Unlike Kinetik, on Clarke, who has really seemed to dial in exactly where an LBS should focus these days - a high level of available parts for immediate repairs and a big selection of the "touch and feel" kinda' stuff that people like to see before they buy and then walk away feeling immediately gratified. Anyone that's not visited Fabian at Kinetik should do so. They also have a nicely curated selection of bikes and frames - grabbed my Transition Patrol frame there at the start of the year for a very competitive price. Hopefully they will continue to fair well against the interwebz.

similar experience with Secret Cycle , willing to bring it in was the response i got every time i stopped in on the hunt for something in need.

as for Kinetik , dealt with Fabian on several occasions and 90% of the time he had what i needed . his stock of Shimano and SRAM stuff is equal to the old COVE days when they 1st got into the bike market with the Hummer .

Kinetik is a candy store with all the parts and colors , reminds me of Steed back when he 1st opened , lots of color coded anodized parts and blingy parts and frames . at times you get lost with all the selection he stocks and had in that little shop.

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 28, 2015, 8:33 p.m.

If it's not something I need absolutely immediately and the price is close to that online, I will let my LBS order items they don't have and take some profit. Having a LBS is useful and I want them to survive.

Sept. 28, 2015, 10:47 p.m.

The owner of secret cycles was incredibly rude to me.
Like off the charts, screaming purple insanity over nothing.
I don't want to rehash the whole thing. Posted a thread about it at the time, but deleted it since.

Serves you right you pompous blowhard.
I'm glad to see them gone.

I'm a gearbox-bike nut.

Sept. 29, 2015, 9:51 a.m.

I like Scott. They'll be missed. That said, I liked the shop much better when it was over by the Milestones. The new location was too small and I think that was a big factor in their not carrying as many items as we'd hoped.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 3, 2015, 7 p.m.

The owner of secret cycles was incredibly rude to me.
Like off the charts, screaming purple insanity over nothing.
I don't want to rehash the whole thing. Posted a thread about it at the time, but deleted it since.

Serves you right you pompous blowhard.
I'm glad to see them gone.

Yeah I'm honestly surprised they lasted as long as they did. Especially in the heart of the evil empires territory. Scott really does not have a great deal of peace love and understanding.
I think 30 years ago, he'd have done ok.

Oct. 4, 2015, 6:26 a.m.

^^are you talking about Caps? 'Cause they're the ones that I wish would have shut down instead. I'd rather an empty Secret Cycles than an overstocked Caps any day of the week. I know it's harsh to wish a bike shop ill will but seriously, they deserve it.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Oct. 5, 2015, 6:57 p.m.

I thought the Evil Empire was Specialized … I'm confused :D

:canada: :england:

Oct. 6, 2015, 5:42 p.m.

So what are the good shops to go to in the tri-citys now?

Oct. 6, 2015, 6:30 p.m.

So what are the good shops to go to in the tri-citys now?

While not specifically in the Tri-Cities, across the street from the Tri-Cities should count… so basically it's Kinetik, Kinetik… or if Kinetik's closed, wait for Kinetik to open.

Barring that, Sport Chek?

If there's anywhere in the Lower Mainland that is close to tons of amazing riding, great trail stewardship, and a growing network of riding, it's the Tri-Cities. Similarly, if there's anywhere in the Lower Mainland that could actually see a new service-oriented mid-upper end bike shop be viable, it's the Tri-Cities. Especially more east. Kinetik can handle the west (Burnaby, Eagle) and a new shop could service the Burke world and the growth in PoCo and Eastern Coquitlam.