Screwed again

July 1, 2006, 11:38 p.m.

I had my DHX 3.0 in for a warranty rebuild due to the thing breaking. I have had it back about a month and I tested the air pressure today, when I took the pump off it had filled with oil. I looked closer and oil is covering the piston and the sponge stopper.

I am off for a week of vacation and wanted to ride the bike, but now I am going to have to send it in for a rebuild again! :flame:

Man, I'm pissed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you had less than 75 PSI in the chamber, which is not supposed to happen because it floods the chamber, it says so in the manual.

So, not to rag on you or anything, but it doesn't sound like it is Fox's fault.

Buy my damn bike.

July 1, 2006, 11:59 p.m.

you BOTTOMED IT OUT so hard u blew out the cartage. that dont happen without BOTTOMING OUT. witch = wrong spring witch = riding fork not tuned correctly for what you were doing with it. you know it you PMED me asking me for springs… THen you blew your FOX 40!! how the hell do you do that! I dunno how the kingpin is holding up or is it blown now too?

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 2, 2006, 1:22 p.m.

My friend who is racing BC cup this year, and is a butter smooth rider
blew up both cartridges on his 40 recently. two weekends for me riding
whistler and beating and bottoming my 40 all year, I have had no probs.

so, I guess some get lemons who know's …. I think I may be going back
to a Marz product next year they have always been "bomber" and next year might actually be light.:agree:

In Session

July 2, 2006, 3:16 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you had less than 75 PSI in the chamber, which is not supposed to happen because it floods the chamber, it says so in the manual.

So, not to rag on you or anything, but it doesn't sound like it is Fox's fault.

Nope, 180 psi in the chamber and checked each ride before I left from home. I hooked up the pump yesterday and it read 150psi. I loose about 30psi everytime I hooke the pump up. I then pumped it back up to 180 and took off the pump. Oil spilled from the valve of the pump.

Certainly not my fault. I have read the manual.

July 2, 2006, 6:17 p.m.

just put a steel bar in place while its away and ride hardtail

WOAH!!! baaaaaad idea.

Riding a bike that was built to be suspended as a hardtail puts ALOT more stress on all of the suspension components than the bike was designed for. If you're lucky all you'll do is bend a pin or something.

thinkin bout bikes

July 2, 2006, 8:14 p.m.

you BOTTOMED IT OUT so hard u blew out the cartage. that dont happen without BOTTOMING OUT. witch = wrong spring witch = riding fork not tuned correctly for what you were doing with it. you know it you PMED me asking me for springs… THen you blew your FOX 40!! how the hell do you do that! I dunno how the kingpin is holding up or is it blown now too?

i sent the kingpin in yesterday. it broke the day after the day a whistler, it shot oil on to my disc rotor half way down cypress.

i'm only 150lbs, i think i'm going to get a hard tail so i can learn not to be such a super huck.

July 3, 2006, 2:52 a.m.

What is up with it now?

Problems like that are very annoying, I've been waiting to go to Whistler for a while but my Boxxer is slowly pissing out its oil and has to be sent in.

It's the heat - brings out the worst in a component.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 3, 2006, 9:20 p.m.

Oh, but of course, I don't know why I never realized that…

22 Pride

July 4, 2006, 1:23 a.m.

Oh, but of course, I don't know why I never realized that…

It's the heat…. :D

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 4, 2006, 12:35 p.m.

lol, every company has hits and misses. I've had shit equipment that lasted forever and expensive stuff that got worked in waaaay too short a time.

I guess the best companies are the ones that make consistent stuff, like its either shit always or really nice always.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 4, 2006, 12:47 p.m.

I too am in the recurring suspension problem boat. Just had my 04 888 serviced to perfection by Naz, and 5 days after the service the fork leg is covered in oil, must be one of those hairline cracks/pinhole things in the lowers. Damn! It felt so wicked after the service too I wish I could ride a fork that felt like that forever…

-m

July 4, 2006, 9:37 p.m.

lol, every company has hits and misses. I've had shit equipment that lasted forever and expensive stuff that got worked in waaaay too short a time.

I guess the best companies are the ones that make consistent stuff, like its either shit always or really nice always.

I agree fully, reading posts like this always make me kinda chuckle… DOn't get me wrong, I belive there are product flaws here and there, adn given the ammount of stress we put on these things, they break. That said, after having to go back to the stock POS Marzo wedge that came on my 4x4 (after a severly stupid incident that is fully my fault ;) ) it's holding up fine… It creaks, and it's not as plush as the Sherman that replaced it (not as stiff either) but it's a 4in travel bike/fork, and I'm 5"11 202lbs… I'm hard on things even if I'm being really smooth, it's physics. No problems…

Bottom line, Ross is spot on, unless there's a known tooling/casting defect, these stories imo are related to riding outside the reasonable expectations of these forks/shocks.

:scotland:

:trinity: RIP Charles Edward DelaForest…

Born: September 1978 - Murdered May 2005

Gone but not forgotten, I miss you brother. :trinity:

July 4, 2006, 9:46 p.m.

A quick comment:
On Fox shocks that are sent back for warranty work, they may just repair the specific problem relating to the warranty issue. For example, if you had a Vanilla R that came on your bike and you rode it for 10 months and then it starting leaking oil, maybe because the eyelet had unthreaded from the shaft, the Fox service center may just clean the shock and rebuild it with new oil. They may not (likely not…) replace the seals in the shock. The seals likely have some wear and tear but they are not the warranty issue it was the eyelet unthreading. If in this type of situation the shock has seen 10 months (or some number) of wear, it may be a good idea to ask that the seals, or whatever wear items, be replaced. This way it will only cost you a few extra dollars since they are already working on the shock and you will ideally get back a shock that is running in optimum condition.

July 4, 2006, 9:49 p.m.

that is also true. just cuz its old dont mean u get a new one.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 4, 2006, 9:55 p.m.

:scream: :scream: :scream:

Bottom line, Ross is spot on, unless there's a known tooling/casting defect, these stories imo are related to riding outside the reasonable expectations of these forks/shocks.

You sound like you work in the warranty department for some biking company - LOL

Yeah seriously, I agree that most people screw up MOST of the time, however we all have to realize that wear parts don't last forever. I have blew up 2 Manitou Swingers, and I could easily complain, but given that one was my fault (not checking SPV after a few months of not riding), and the other was not, I guess they cancel each other out?? Bottom line is that no rear shock will last forever ….. they will ALL break eventually. Usually attributed to lack of maintenance, pushing to the extreme, or in some cases like this one …. just a defective one. Every company has a few "lemons".

My advice ….. buy a cheap spare shock such as a used Fox vanilla to get you by until your shock is repaired. Use it, when you shock arrives, sell it again (you'll probably only lose $20 or so in the re-sale, but its worth it considering you don't have to give up riding).