Scratches on lens

Jan. 15, 2021, 11:38 a.m.

I havent seen (literaly ) any glasses that don't fog, glasses and ski gogs I would tip the bottom of ski gogs up to catch some air which unfogs the glasses or gogs . Smith turbo fan gogs work for skiing but I've kacked 2 battery packs so they are shit & don't last, fortunatley its a pretty good goggle anyway

WW kayaking in colder temps I would spit on the glasses and splash water on my head to unfog but that won't work in this app

Jan. 15, 2021, 2:05 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Posted by: Ouch

Those that use riding glasses, any issue with fogging?

This thread is good timing. Did a night ride last night and had to fish a tiny fragment of glass out of my eyelid this morning. Needless to say my eye is a bloodshot mess, but clearing up. I want to wear riding glasses but haven't found a pair that don't fog up. I'm 190 pounds so when in full cardio mode needless to say I'm steaming.

How'd you get glass in your eye?

Jan. 15, 2021, 2:09 p.m.

I'll see if I can track down a pair of Oakley Jawbreaker and see how the fit. I think I can get them with a prescription. Just got my prescription glasses the other day, I wore them biking today, it's easier to ride when things are clear and crisp! 

Legally I can drive without glasses, but I didn't realize how my vision had slowly deteriorated......damn 50's!

Jan. 15, 2021, 2:36 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Those that use riding glasses, any issue with fogging?

This thread is good timing. Did a night ride last night and had to fish a tiny fragment of glass out of my eyelid this morning. Needless to say my eye is a bloodshot mess, but clearing up. I want to wear riding glasses but haven't found a pair that don't fog up. I'm 190 pounds so when in full cardio mode needless to say I'm steaming.

How'd you get glass in your eye?

Probably flicked up when riding home last night from Fromme,... Hard to say. I do really need to start wearing eye protection when riding.

Jan. 15, 2021, 2:47 p.m.

Legally I can drive without glasses, but I didn't realize how my vision had slowly deteriorated......damn 50's!

They say you are supposed to look down the trail and not right in front of your tire. I have no problem with that. I can't focus on anything closer than 5' away these days. ;-)

I'm probably going to get Rx glasses at some point or contacts for riding. My eye doc didn't think a second round of laser surgery was worth it for me given my eye sight is not bad...just not as great when as when I first got lasered 20+ years ago.

Jan. 15, 2021, 3:03 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

They say you are supposed to look down the trail and not right in front of your tire. I have no problem with that. I can't focus on anything closer than 5' away these days. ;-)

I'm probably going to get Rx glasses at some point or contacts for riding. My eye doc didn't think a second round of laser surgery was worth it for me given my eye sight is not bad...just not as great when as when I first got lasered 20+ years ago.

Hahaha......when I look too far down the trail it's a bit blurry, so I started looking 5-10 ft away too! With glasses today I was able to look way down the trail.

Apparently my vision isn't bad enough for touch up laser eye surgery either, and contact are not an option either.

Jan. 15, 2021, 4:12 p.m.

Hahaha......when I look too far down the trail it's a bit blurry, so I started looking 5-10 ft away too! With glasses today I was able to look way down the trail.

Apparently my vision isn't bad enough for touch up laser eye surgery either, and contact are not an option either.

If you go the Oakley Rx route I'd like to hear the details.

Jan. 24, 2021, 7:49 a.m.

Hey Vikb and RAHrider, what lens type did you guys get? Photochromic? Prizm?

Jan. 24, 2021, 8:11 a.m.

Hey Vikb and RAHrider, what lens type did you guys get? Photochromic? Prizm?

I got the photochromatic. They are clear enough in low light [photo above] I can use them all year round including deep in the winter. They are dark enough at max brightness [photo below] I can use them for riding in open areas in full sunlight. That said we are normally riding in the trees here on the south island and if I was going to spend the whole ride in bright light [SW desert] I'd grab a pair really dark sunglasses. The optical quality is amazing with these lenses. Going from mid/low cost sunglasses to these ones I was blown away by how well I could see details on the trail even with my old man vision.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 25, 2021, 6:15 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 24, 2021, 6 p.m.

I don't look as good as Vic in them, but I have the same lenses. For coastal region riding, they are pretty well universal.

I have a darker lens I throw in for road rides in bright sun.

I have the prism trail lens that I never use - it's a bit to dark in our rainforest. If I moved to the okanagan where the trees are wider spaced and more light gets through, the trail lens might be a good option - it does have really great contrast and clarity.

Jan. 24, 2021, 9:34 p.m.

Thanks guys, that's helpful.

Jan. 30, 2021, 8:16 a.m.

I

What are those?

Can you get a reader lense at the bottom and no prescription for the rest of it?

Jan. 30, 2021, 9:17 a.m.

Posted by: taprider

What are those?

Can you get a reader lense at the bottom and no prescription for the rest of it?

Oakley Jawbreaker. I have no info on Rx options. Mine are just normal uncorrected lenses. My laser vision is still pretty good for riding, but I imagine Rx lenses will be in my future. 

https://www.oakley.com/en-ca/product/W0OO9290?variant=888392143587

Jan. 30, 2021, 5:20 p.m.

I have some surgeon friends who have oakleys made into loupes. 

Jan. 30, 2021, 7:30 p.m.

To get a prescription Oakley Jawbreakers, it'll be a little shy of $700!! And they look a bit different.

Going a difference direction for eyewear...