Scratches on lens

Jan. 14, 2021, 4:50 p.m.

A couple months ago I asked about goggles vs glasses, from the feedback I ended up getting some Ryder Tallcan goggles. I rinsed the lens off with water and tried my best to pat dry them with cloth provide after a ride. After 2-3 rides the lens have lots of little scratches, so I contacted Ryder, and they stated that was unusual and sent me a replacement lens. So with the second set I was even more careful, same results after a couple of rides. Ryder states it normal to get fine scratches (hard to prevent) and all goggles are like that.

Does everyone that have goggles experience scratches on their lenses? Is this "normal"? If your lenses don't scratch easily, what brand and type of lens do you have?

Last edited by: Ouch on Jan. 14, 2021, 6:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 14, 2021, 7:42 p.m.

IME plastic scrathes but glass does not, i always wear glasses

Jan. 14, 2021, 8:37 p.m.

No experience with goggles. My oakley glasses get no special treatment. I often use my jersey to wipe off grit mid ride. They aren't perfect but after 3 seasons, they are still very acceptable. I think they are a harder plastic and may even have a scratch proof coating?

Jan. 14, 2021, 8:51 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

No experience with goggles. My oakley glasses get no special treatment. I often use my jersey to wipe off grit mid ride. They aren't perfect but after 3 seasons, they are still very acceptable. I think they are a harder plastic and may even have a scratch proof coating?

Are those the Jawbreakers? Do you know off hand who carries these? I'd like to try them on to see if the fit and possibly get them in a prescription.

Jan. 14, 2021, 10:34 p.m.

Posted by: Ouch

A couple months ago I asked about goggles vs glasses, from the feedback I ended up getting some Ryder Tallcan goggles. I rinsed the lens off with water and tried my best to pat dry them with cloth provide after a ride. After 2-3 rides the lens have lots of little scratches, so I contacted Ryder, and they stated that was unusual and sent me a replacement lens. So with the second set I was even more careful, same results after a couple of rides. Ryder states it normal to get fine scratches (hard to prevent) and all goggles are like that.

Does everyone that have goggles experience scratches on their lenses? Is this "normal"? If your lenses don't scratch easily, what brand and type of lens do you have?

My ryders goggles did the same thing. Scratched all to hell even being super careful. They suck

Jan. 15, 2021, 7:45 a.m.

Are those the Jawbreakers? Do you know off hand who carries these? I'd like to try them on to see if the fit and possibly get them in a prescription.

Yes, jawbreaker. Got mine at simons downtown but I think any oakley dealer will have them. Sport check etc.

Jan. 15, 2021, 8 a.m.

I'll second the Oakley lens durability. I wear my Jawbreakers every ride and after 2 years there is no noticeable damage. I use the cloth they provide to do most of the cleaning, but on the trail I'll just my glove or jersey to get some mud off.

My current day to day sunglasses are a pair or Oakleys that are over 15 years old and look great. I'm sure I could find a scratch if I inspected them closely, but in actual use I can't perceive any damage.

Jan. 15, 2021, 8:06 a.m.

Have a pair of 100% riding glasses that were quite expensive, fit great, great optics. I keep them in their little hard case when not in use but I occasionally wipe them on my jersey mid-ride if they get muddy or to remove condensation and so far no scratches. I'm into my second season with these glasses and they still look great.

Jan. 15, 2021, 8:21 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

My ryders goggles did the same thing. Scratched all to hell even being super careful. They suck

Have you found goggles that don't scratch? Pretty disappointed with Ryder's, waste of money and soon as they get to the point were i can't use them anymore....... landfill...... another waste.

Jan. 15, 2021, 8:22 a.m.

Those that use riding glasses, any issue with fogging?

Jan. 15, 2021, 8:24 a.m.

I've had a couple of pairs of Ryders glasses over the years and find their lenses were prone to scratches...

As I now need prescription lenses, I've been using Oakley Frogskins frames but with cheap Clearly Contact lenses in and they haven't got scratched at all. 

Weird...

Jan. 15, 2021, 8:25 a.m.

Yes...sometimes it's really bad and I've had to remove the glasses to carry on riding (which can be fun, when you use prescription lenses!)

Jan. 15, 2021, 8:28 a.m.

With the Jawbreakers rarely. On the wettest days after a big climb if we stop for a break I'll get a little fogging. I just take the glasses off for the break and as soon as there is some airflow they clear up. While riding I've never had any fogging issues.

Jan. 15, 2021, 8:31 a.m.

I can fog anything. The Ryders anti fog is pretty good but I fog those when it’s really humid and cool and I’m going slow. They scratched easily. I found Smith also scratch easily. Oakley like others have found are more resistant to scratching. I have a couple pair of Oakleys with the switch thing on the nose bridge that puts the lens further forward and it works quite well. I’d recommend it.

Jan. 15, 2021, 9:21 a.m.

This thread is good timing. Did a night ride last night and had to fish a tiny fragment of glass out of my eyelid this morning. Needless to say my eye is a bloodshot mess, but clearing up. I want to wear riding glasses but haven't found a pair that don't fog up. I'm 190 pounds so when in full cardio mode needless to say I'm steaming.