schwalbe pro core tires

July 11, 2014, 5:06 p.m.

So with this low pressure tyre system, what will stop the tyre rolling and flopping from side to side under lateral force?

The freedom to design side wall, tire, and tread profiles that work at very low pressures, without having to also consider it outter tire as the foundational structural component.

July 11, 2014, 5:56 p.m.

I think the potential is awesome…especially if it all works out and pricing drops to Joe Blows price range….and as mentioned, if it works at least as good as the current set up…Pro Racer would be a fool not to use it. You only get one run:)

July 11, 2014, 6:02 p.m.

The super gravity side walls are already pretty beefy.

July 11, 2014, 7:55 p.m.

No it won't prevent those types of flats but if you had been on that system, you could have ridden out the damaged tire on the higher pressure, rigid inner tube, and not worried about rim damage or your tire coming right off. Wonder how that could've helped Gwin if he had been on such a system?

I'm interested in it because it seems as though you could run the pro core tube with any brand tire, not just Schwalbe.

I run Stan's rims though, and they've got a max pressure rating of 45-ish psi. Wonder if the pro core would work seeing as it's 55-85 psi recommend pressure…?

I had the same system on my moto. I faced the same issues, but riding out was possible.

In a DH race run though, even with the pro core set up, your run is just as much over as if you are riding on a rim. Not much you're going to do riding a floppy tire. For racing, I don't see this as anything beneficial, but for JRA it would be ok I guess. It still wouldn't be as good as just bringing a tube, so I'm not sure where the actual benefit of this system will be over a regular tubeless set up (strictly talking about pinch flats and punctures, not burping air).

July 11, 2014, 7:56 p.m.

heyzeus, you must have some gnar rocks out there. I've never sliced a sidewall. Try a supergravity schwalbe? They're burly.

I just happened to find the only sharp rocks on the trail. Probably shale or something. In the Kelowna race, there were about a dozen other guys stopped on the trail in the same spot fixing flats. Too funny.

btw, its not the sidewall, its the space between the knobs.

July 11, 2014, 8:08 p.m.

It sucks to train hard all season leading up to a race only to have flatted.

speaking from experience.

July 11, 2014, 8:09 p.m.

Why have we not seen tire balls attempted yet in mtb?

July 11, 2014, 9:08 p.m.

googles "tire balls"…woah!….looks over at the pool noodle

July 11, 2014, 9:18 p.m.

…and there's Tire Mousse! (= to ~13psi it says)

July 11, 2014, 11:29 p.m.

Tire balls are heavy, more of a downside on bike than moto.
I'm keen to try this, be nice to be able to run slightly lower pressure and get longer life out of a rim.

July 12, 2014, 8:07 a.m.

A tire mouse (err, foam insert) are insanely heavy, even for moto applications. Tire balls would add a significant amount of weight as well. If a race course was all fall line with virtually no pedaling then it would work I suppose.

July 14, 2014, 3:57 a.m.

It still wouldn't be as good as just bringing a tube, so I'm not sure where the actual benefit of this system will be over a regular tubeless set up (strictly talking about pinch flats and punctures, not burping air).

The point seems to be that you can run super low pressures in the outer tire for massive grip (esp. in slow techy stuff) without danger of denting the rim or pinching the sidewall between rim and rocks.