School me on racks

Aug. 9, 2013, 2:55 p.m.

Avoid the roof racks as all it takes is a combo of tired, hungry, and distracted coming home from a ride can cause great..$$$$$$

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 9, 2013, 3:49 p.m.

4 door fullsized pickup needs no rack.

Lol suv.

I've got an 11 foot camper on right now as well. 4 bikes, no rack.

Well aren't you speshal.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 9, 2013, 4:37 p.m.

As Switch mentioned, wheelmount is good.

Once you get the hitch mount installed or before, start checking Kijiji, Craigslist, and such. Might be able to find one that no one is using anymore.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 9, 2013, 5:05 p.m.

I've had a Softride, which you can get in a 1 1/4" four bike configuration. It was good but a hassle for full-suspension frames and resulted in a lot of bike-on bike contact. Many scratches and a dented chainstay have resulted over the years. I also had to rig up straps to stabilize it whenever I had more than two bikes on there. It's all yours for a case of decent beer!

Just got a new hitch so I could get a Kuat. It's amazing. Stupid expensive, but so easy to use, solid and easy on the bikes that's it's worth the $$$.

Aug. 9, 2013, 7:01 p.m.

4 door fullsized pickup needs no rack.

Lol suv.

I've got an 11 foot camper on right now as well. 4 bikes, no rack.

I put a rack on my full sized 4 door pickup every road trip.

Aug. 9, 2013, 7:39 p.m.

I put a rack on my mini sized 4 door pickup every road trip.

fixed.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 9, 2013, 9:28 p.m.

Whatever Box… Kids, dog, and other gear I have that I want secured make the choice pretty simple for me. Good for you though that you can do all you need with a pickup :-)

Aug. 9, 2013, 9:31 p.m.

Enduramil, hitch came installed on the ride, now doing just that in looking for deals, just wanted some tips on what to look for coming from the tried and true roof rack. Narrowed it down to NSR and a yakima / thule wheel based rack that has room for 2 bikes with ability to expand to 4, thanks…

Aug. 9, 2013, 9:54 p.m.

Whatever Box… Kids, dog, and other gear I have that I want secured make the choice pretty simple for me. Good for you though that you can do all you need with a pickup :-)

Just saying it works better than a suv and my rig cost me less than 10 grand. Have two dogs with us as well as the two boys.

Its a worthwhile option when you get to this stge in family/riding life.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 9, 2013, 10:26 p.m.

I thought these were cool most racks do not promote off road http://www.tufrack.com/racks/

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

Aug. 9, 2013, 10:53 p.m.

Just saying it works better than a suv and my rig cost me less than 10 grand. Have two dogs with us as well as the two boys.

Its a worthwhile option when you get to this stge in family/riding life.

yep selling a SUV and buying a truck is such an easier option than buying a rack……

Aug. 9, 2013, 11 p.m.

I thought these were cool most racks do not promote off road http://www.tufrack.com/racks/

I don't know if I've seen an uglier thing to bolt on to a vehicle, on top of that you still need to use a tie down strap to hold your bike on.

Aug. 9, 2013, 11:11 p.m.

Really like my 1up Rack. (http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilverdouble.html)

Road, mountain, kids bikes, no problems. The mounting system for the receiver makes for a very tight fit, so your rack isn't wobbling all over the place either.

Aug. 11, 2013, 9:29 a.m.

I don't know if I've seen an uglier thing to bolt on to a vehicle, on top of that you still need to use a tie down strap to hold your bike on.

Yeah I modelled mine loosely off of that design. My trays don't stick out so far though, plus mine folds up North Shore Rack style. I agree though the straps are lame, I need to figure out a cheap solution, but I probably won't lol.

Whoops this is Tmack btw, friends computer.

Aug. 12, 2013, 10:40 a.m.

I recall seeing roadbikes mounted by the handlebars with the wheels facing outwards. This may or may not be true.

I can confirm this works. One road bike hands by handlebars on two of prong sets (i.e. a NSR-4 can carry two road bikes). Use bungees to secure wheels to the rack (the included ropes won't work).