school me on DH cranks

July 5, 2012, 8:17 a.m.

Go against the populist vote, what about these:

http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5949/263260/0/0

DS

LOL. Those are OLD school. 110 BCD and Octalink BB! Heavy as all hell too. You'd be way better off with old Saint or Diabolus.

July 5, 2012, 8:44 a.m.

Well, it might be time for a new set of cranks. My trusty saints have served me well, but it may be time to move on.

So what should I be considering in my hunt for strong, light and stiff? Stiff is actually a key point as I'm pretty heavy and can really feel the flex when I hammer. I don't like that. Sizing isn't an issue as I assume that all DH cranks are going to come in 83mm.

What do people think of the Descendants? Or how about the e*thirteen?

If you're a bigger/heavier guy you should not ride Descendants or Gravity Lites. They're race cranks designed for a different demographic.
I'd say go with the new Saints or new Atlas.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 5, 2012, 12:37 p.m.

I can vouch for the Race Face Six cranks.

The lightest cranks, and they are stiff and strong. Been on mine since the spring with multiple trips to the interior, whistler, shore, etc. Not a single complaint. Also the BB is as new after all that use in mud and spraying the bike off after almost every ride.

Very stoked.

Did I mention they are light?

July 5, 2012, 1:17 p.m.

I'd love to run a pair of Sixc but with the price of XTs on CRC it's hard to justify the huge price increase.

Aside from the steel pedal inserts and 83mm bb any differences between the AM version? I've read about a few spiders cracking on mtbr

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 5, 2012, 6:19 p.m.

I ran descendant cranks,for about a month,before the drive side snapped on the little drop on Shleyer.Bought new Saints and all is good.By the way I'm a bit of a meater to:)

July 5, 2012, 6:51 p.m.

Needs m0ar Samhillium!!!!!!!

RF Sixc 83mm out yet or did I just imagine them?

CRC is showing them in stock

I'd love to run a pair of Sixc but with the price of XTs on CRC it's hard to justify the huge price increase.

Aside from the steel pedal inserts and 83mm bb any differences between the AM version? I've read about a few spiders cracking on mtbr

I've heard heard of spiders cracking too.

If you like CRC's price on the XT's, Jenson is having a sale on last years model xt for $149(170mm only)

July 5, 2012, 8:10 p.m.

Just thought I'd chime in about the SIXC cranks. There have been a few cracking chain ring tabs (very few) but those were mostly guys running them single speed without a bash or the recommended aluminum "shims" that come with the cranks (meant to sandwich the tabs for strength). All were promptly warrantied. The 2012 SIXC cranks (there is no specific AM or DH version) all have steel pedal inserts and thicker 4.5mm tabs to remedy the situation. The SIXC cranks test much stronger than XT/X9 in every regard (Turbine is our XT comparison) and are built to take a serious beating. They are the lightest cranks in their class and come with a 3 year warranty. Thanks for your interest in Race Face!

July 5, 2012, 8:41 p.m.

If my previous recommendation is shyte and too "old school", I'll pimp for the e*thirteen cranks.

There. :werd:

"I'm addicted to surfing."

July 5, 2012, 9:15 p.m.

I've had enough experience of E-Thirteen cranks not to want a set…..

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 6, 2012, 2:18 p.m.

I almost bought the RF Six cranks. Amazing looking cranks, super light weight too.

Ended up going with the new Shimano XT. Not quite as light, but substantially cheaper. I almost justified the extra coin for the RF Six, but the deal breaker was I didn't want to purchase a new taco style chainguide.

July 6, 2012, 2:37 p.m.

I almost bought the RF Six cranks. Amazing looking cranks, super light weight too.

Ended up going with the new Shimano XT. Not quite as light, but substantially cheaper. I almost justified the extra coin for the RF Six, but the deal breaker was I didn't want to purchase a new taco style chainguide.

You don't have to run a taco style chainguide with new SIXC. RF offers an offset bash to fit the new thicker tabs and the new offset bash is Straitline Silent Guide compatible. I'd imagine the bash fits SRS+ style guides as well, but cannot confirm that.

Just Ride.

July 10, 2012, 2:40 a.m.

I ran descendant cranks,for about a month,before the drive side snapped on the little drop on Shleyer.Bought new Saints and all is good.By the way I'm a bit of a meater to:)

Loose the beer gut

gerewh0re

i've tried sticking it in her butt and peeing, she feels that is more a gift for me than her.

July 10, 2012, 5:43 a.m.

Thanks for the advice:fu:

July 10, 2012, 7:37 a.m.

Loose the beer gut

Does this advice hold if you're a lean 220? Then what?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.