SC Tallboy build for my wife

May 11, 2020, 8:12 p.m.

A year ago, my wife wanted a smaller bike than the megatower to pedal on easy rides on the island. Instead of breaking the bank again, we picked up an end of season instinct c70. Simons in Vancouver hooked her up with a full XO1 build including the cassette, cranks etc and the bike came in at a respectable 26lbs. Despite a great build, she never jived with the bike. In the low positions, she found it shitty climbing. I could see her struggle on stuff that she cleans on her megatower. The high positions were better but she really never loved riding it. Today she took out a Tallboy S build demo and it was like she was a different rider. Cleaned everything effortlessly, pedaled like a demon, carved corners and rode a 30 foot rock face she had always struggled to find confidence to ride before. Long story short, she was smiling the entire ride - tough to argue with that. Also, she can't wait to ride again, which means more riding for me :)

Here are my questions - I am going to swap the parts over to the tallboy.

1) Her fork is 140mm, would you guys run it 140/120 or swap the airsprings to drop it to 130/120? I figure you could leave it in low position with the 140 and the bb would sit at the same height as in the high position and the STA would still be 76 deg.

2) Would any of you bother with the cc frame or stick with the c? I have heard the weight difference (especially in med) is really not a big deal. She is fine with the fox DPS performance shock the c frame comes with. She really doesn't make use of the compression damping options as they are always tuned way to firm for her 120lbs so I have to get the shocks custom valved for her anyways.

Everything else should swap over - except the stupid rockshox seatpost - I'm so angry they spec that one!

Final question - I have a spare set of XT single pot brakes, would you all keep the XT's for yourself or put them on the instinct when I sell it and keep the Guide R's off the tallboy?

Cheers,

May 12, 2020, 12:49 a.m.

Jordi from Fox is setting up his Tallboy with a 140mm in an episode of Dialled 

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/video-setting-up-the-new-fox-36-fork-with-jordi-cortes.html

May 12, 2020, 9:26 a.m.

Yes, this is the one that I've got my eye on!  Glad to hear such positive feedback on it so far. Another example IMO of geometry > design/material, just in this case the design and material are also fantastic. I'm hoping for some nice end of season demo/rental sales on one of these.

The weight difference between C and CC frame is ~200g, so about half a lb. Not really a great value in that upgrade for myself, but the C frame is not available on its own, so if you aren't happy with the OEM builds or have a lot of your own stuff to swap on, it's a bit of a different discussion.

Personally, I would run it at 140mm, because why not (and it's what I've got). I'm also partial to Shimano brakes because it's all we run on our various bikes, and we don't have any of the newer 4 digit series stuff that seem to have more wandering bite point issues. I've tried Guide R's and they've been adequate for my riding FWIW

May 12, 2020, 10:26 a.m.

Just to completely change the subject, why not try something like a Druid if you are looking for a smaller bike for her? Price is the same (I think) and you would be supporting a local Island company. I just built up one for my wife (after demoing one in Cumberland last fall), but we havent really had the chance to ride it yet over here in Vancouver. You even have the option of running it as a mullet now as well, which can be a bonus for the smaller riders. Its a smaller bike in terms of wheelbase, but does have slightly longer reach and stack.

You might just find she will be able to use it as her do it all bike as well....

Hope she enjoys whatever you get!

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/santa-cruz-tallboy-2020-high-m-low,forbidden-bike-company-druid-2019-m/

Last edited by: shoreboy on May 12, 2020, 10:26 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2020, 11:46 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Just to completely change the subject, why not try something like a Druid if you are looking for a smaller bike for her? Price is the same (I think) and you would be supporting a local Island company. I just built up one for my wife (after demoing one in Cumberland last fall), but we havent really had the chance to ride it yet over here in Vancouver. You even have the option of running it as a mullet now as well, which can be a bonus for the smaller riders. Its a smaller bike in terms of wheelbase, but does have slightly longer reach and stack.

You might just find she will be able to use it as her do it all bike as well....

Hope she enjoys whatever you get!

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/santa-cruz-tallboy-2020-high-m-low,forbidden-bike-company-druid-2019-m/

That bike was on the top of my short list but I don't have the money for it. Those things look awesome.

May 12, 2020, 8:22 p.m.

The druid is a bit of a pig. Even with top of the line everything it feels heavy. I believe it was designed with a hard riding heavy dude in mind, not a 120lb rider doing easier trails. She rides hard stuff too but that is what the megatower is for. She's definitely going tallboy. I think the cc is a bit of a rip off.  We are just going to buy a whole bike and swap over whatever makes sense from her instinct. 

I was leaning towards 140 for the fork for her so I'm glad you all agree. Looking forward to getting it all built up for her, she really liked riding it. I'll post a pic when it's done.

May 13, 2020, 9:08 a.m.

I guess calling it a 'pig' is all relative.  Hers is built up to sub 30lbs with a 150mm fork on a size small.  Id consider that on the lighter side of the spectrum for a trail bike these days.  Im also not sure why you think its designed for a 'hard riding heavy dude'. Of all the bikes out there, it is one of the few that tailors front and rear centres to each size of bike and hasnt gone to the extremes of the geometry spectrum.  It was by far her favorite after demoing several bikes in the similar category (though not a SC).

May 13, 2020, 11:05 a.m.

Ditch the anemic Guide R's, btw. I bought a bike that came with those, I really tried but only made it a week before I couldn't stand the lack of power anymore. Swapped in XT's from another bike and happily ran them for years.

Yeah, I'm learning that there's a wide range of short travel 29ers out there. Bikes like the Ripley and Trance are efficiency focused, while bikes like the Tallboy have a whole different approach. Banshee Prime looks an interesting option on the affordable end too if you're still shopping. As does the new Evil Following on the other end.

May 13, 2020, 2:53 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

I guess calling it a 'pig' is all relative.  Hers is built up to sub 30lbs with a 150mm fork on a size small.  Id consider that on the lighter side of the spectrum for a trail bike these days.  Im also not sure why you think its designed for a 'hard riding heavy dude'. Of all the bikes out there, it is one of the few that tailors front and rear centres to each size of bike and hasnt gone to the extremes of the geometry spectrum.  It was by far her favorite after demoing several bikes in the similar category (though not a SC).

I probably need to go try one. The guy who tried to sell me one  was trying to sell me one in place of a 150mm travel bike saying the high pivot and frame construction  allows it to hit well above its  weight. It also weighs about the same as her megatower frame, which is 160mm. That's what makes me think it's a burly bike.

I shot myself in the foot when I built up her megatower, it's 29 lbs with pedals. She wants something significantly lighter feeling. She tried the Hightower and it was too close to the megatower. I was worried the tallboy wouldn't allow her to ride the burlier bits but I think if we put the front up to 140 she will be fine. i feel like putting a 34 on the druid would be mismatched. Once we are all done with her bike I'm hoping it will come in around 26-27lbs.

Thanks for the advice and ideas everyone, I always get good/friendly advice here. They are currently building it up with her parts. The fork decals won't match but we will figure that out down the road. Hopefully the rain will continue to hold and she can be riding it by the weekend.

May 13, 2020, 3:53 p.m.

I hope she loves the new bike. Half the battle is starting off really stoked with the idea of the new bike and it sounds she's there.

May 14, 2020, 9 p.m.

Quick lap of the local trails on a sunny afternoon after work on her new bike. She loves it. Thanks again for all the advice. Kept the fork at 140. Gonna sell the guides on her old bike. Now all she wants to do is ride, what more could I ask for?

May 14, 2020, 9:16 p.m.

Sick :D That's awesome that your partner rides with you!

May 15, 2020, 1:10 p.m.

Love it, that's the one I want. I can't figure out if I need to be on a medium or large at 5'8" though.  

I screwed the sizing up for my Range and it took a lot to recover from that.

May 15, 2020, 9:17 p.m.

Very lucky to have a wife who rides. Better yet, she is fitter than me, better looking and smarter. Count my blessings every day. Today we took  her bike to ride blacks in Nanaimo.  Was a little undergunned but she was still smiling and only walked one scary rock!

As for the size, she's 5'6 and 3/4. The medium is perfect. At 5'8 you would definitely be on the cusp. She can easily fit a 175 dropper, probably couldn't on the large

June 2, 2020, 10:37 p.m.

This is what you need for her bike