Santa Cruz v10.5c vs. Devinci Wilson

Nov. 16, 2013, 10:30 a.m.

So you would buy the Wilson over the V10 because the Wilson is slower??

Sounds like the Wilson is a more comfortable ride (both physically and mentally) to him. Unless you are riding solely for the purpose of winning races, this is key. It is more difficult to to push your abilities on a bike (as with a car) when you are not comfortable with its handling.

Nov. 16, 2013, 1:22 p.m.

I've swapped between the 8.5 and 10 inch modes on the V10 quite a bit this year and have settled on the 8.5. It's faster hands down. The syndicate has been on 8.5 the last couple of years at all the races. I almost think the leverage curve was optimized around the 8.5.

What I notice is I feel more in control in the 10, but running back to back to back on the same trail between the two modes, the Strava doesn't lie, and the 8.5 is faster every time. I believe the lower bb in the 8.5 helps with this quite a bit. The wheel base also extends and the ha gets slacker in 8.5. For those that haven't tried it, I would suggest just trying it in 8.5 with the same spring and ride faster and hit things harder. Put a couple of clicks of rebound comp on and let it fly and reap the rewards.

10 inch mode plows for sure, but just feels dead and not nearly as fun.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Nov. 16, 2013, 4:53 p.m.

Thanks Tdiddy. The SuspensWerx guys recommended the 8.5" as well - especially for racing. I tried it without changing my spring rate though and it wasn't good so need to try again.

Duncan: I would still argue that a DH bike can't feel "too fast". If it feels fast that is because the bike is working well and carrying speed where you are not use to carrying speed. That is exactly what you want. It happened to me a few yrs ago when I switched from the Demo 8 (earlier versions) to the V10. I couldn't believe how much speed I was carrying into the corners. A little dicey until I got used to it/learned to ride it etc. If it is feeling too fast then you can use your brakes…

Nov. 18, 2013, 5:12 p.m.

I started riding my v10c in 10" mode, and found it too steep and tall….and the rear would jack as the front would dive when hitting the brakes on steeps….such as slow and controlled rock rolls for example. Albeit that was bike park stuff. In 8.5, it feels more stable without needing tonnes of LSC in the front.

I found the 8.5 inch mode still plenty plush, and a better balance to the world cup on the front. All in all its such a fun bike.

I just got a drop crown for it, and upped the stack height a bit and i like that too. I think the syndicate guys are doing that too, not like that has any relevance to me.

With a monster bike like the V10c, i found i had to get my suspension dialed to get the most out of it, and was rewarded when i did…..I say this because you get into a realm of riding mega fast, so you want to make sure your suspension is set up to handle this.

The vivid air is a fantastic shock for this bike. It feels just so controlled and plush. My nomad has a rear kick/feedback that is common on VPP….and cant feel a thing on the V10. It is a plow machine, but still playful. Love it so far.

Nov. 19, 2013, 9:43 a.m.

[ATTACH]9511[/ATTACH]
This arrived the other day.

Will be placing the bike in 8.5" soon

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 19, 2013, 10:02 a.m.

and my day ended with a concussion on Dirt Merchant from a crash I don't remember.

I remember it!
:damn:

That particular V10c was like a wild stallion. It definitely needed to be ridden hard, but I think that could have been tuned out. The bars were far too wide, the suspension wasn't set up properly, and the overall feel of the bike was off.

S'maj makes a good point about the V10c. If it's the OP's only bike, then I think the Wilson is a better choice. But if he is looking for a DH steed for Whistler/squamish/Mission, the V10c is a good choice. Either way, with all the tuning options you have now from angled headsets to 10/11 speed drivelines, either choice will make you happy.

That said, I ride Knolly for a reason. The Podium felt better than any bike I've ever been on and still challenges me to try and outride it.

Jan. 21, 2014, 8:27 a.m.

Rode both bikes and I will buy a Wilson now :) But I just could ride am XL Wilson. I am 183cm and i am not shure if a large one would be even better. Sure, at rough terrain the XL will be faster but probably I would have more fun with the large one on jumpy trails. Anybody here riding a Wilson at this height ?

Jan. 21, 2014, 9 a.m.

I ride a large at 177cm. I could probably ride an XL, but I for sure wouldn't be comfortable on an M.

It is a great park bike amoungst other things.

Jan. 21, 2014, 9:44 a.m.

Like in the other thread, I'm 179cm, and I think the large Wilson is perfect.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 21, 2014, 2:03 p.m.

190cm and I ride a large wilson haha, I tried the xl too and was just having more fun on the large. Great bike!

australia was actually founded by criminals and its original purpose was for england to send over its criminals so the brits wouldnt have to deal with them in England, minding this was over 100 yrs ago.

Jan. 21, 2014, 3:44 p.m.

I'm 185-186cm and ride Large Wilson. I'd rather have the XL myself, the L cockpit feels a bit short and tight to me to be really comfortable.

Jan. 21, 2014, 5:04 p.m.

6'1 and ride a large willy. the xl is really awesome fun too but is less shreddy in the steep and deep which is where i really get my rox off

Jan. 21, 2014, 11:32 p.m.

Has anyone a comparison to a Medium or Large Demo ? They are very similar as a L and XL Wilson. Does the Large Wilson feel as the Medium Demo ? Than I would probably stick to a XL :)

Feb. 4, 2014, 10:38 p.m.

So I have a couple days now on Cypress with the V10 in 8.5" mode.
Definitely feels good on the fast and twisty stuff. 1 deg slacker and 1/2 inch lower BB.
Smacked my pedals hard a couple times as not use to the lower BB.
On the rough stuff there is more 'trail feedback' which doesn't feel great after 4 years in 10" mode.
Question is which mode can be ridden faster. Might not figure that out until WBP opens….