Sample Brodie 29'er

Feb. 9, 2011, 10:40 a.m.

Billy Jaye and Andrew Summers took the sample 29'er for a test ride on Sticks N Stones over the weekend. So far, so good as the product manager (bruce spicer) likes the 29'er compared to his 26" wheeled bikes; a tough obstacle he had to overcome haha.

http://www.brodiebikes.com/blog/?p=1152#more-1152

Feb. 9, 2011, 10:52 a.m.

Too late in the process to switch to steel?

An aggressive steel 29er from Brodie would be cool.

Feb. 9, 2011, 10:56 a.m.

I'm sure you know how much we love steel, but the first one we wanted to make was for it to be light-weight and more versatile. I'm sure it might be something we'd consider in the near future!

You should check out Paul Brodie's frame building course and build a custom steel 29'er "Brodie". Pretty good for $2500!

Feb. 9, 2011, 12:21 p.m.

Lame that Brodie jumped on the 29" bandwagon.
Posted via Mobile Device

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Feb. 9, 2011, 12:49 p.m.

lame.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an awesome post! Informative and useful. I'm so glad the poster could provide such insight! So 29er bikes are lame right? Or is it that Brodie bikes are lame? Or that someone from Brodie posted a thread on Brodie testing out a new design is lame?

Actually the above post is lame. I'd love to understand why people post useless comments like this on a thread. Sorry to have reacted but threads get cluttered with these comments and it's tiring to read and scroll past to find the people who have something useful to contribute.

On a more useful note: are the benefits of a 29er (rolls better) worth the pitfalls (heavier wheels, not as strong wheels, taller bikes thus short riders can't use them, all the retooling that is now happening in the industry for the 29er)? I have never ridden one but people who have rave about them. It doesn't seem to add up.

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:33 p.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

edited

Posted via Mobile Device

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:37 p.m.

lol bandwagon.

Guess you failed physics.

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:38 p.m.

Pretty sure by not "jumping on the 29er bandwagon", Brodie would fall behind in a competitive market. It's a good thing you're not making executive decisions based on personal opinion for Brodie.

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:39 p.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

It seems like a bit more than a bandwagon at this point….though our small little pocket seems to be still holding out. Haven't ridden one yet so I can't comment but I'd love to take one out.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:58 p.m.

i've no problem w/ the 29'er-ness, but aarggghh - re: the gratuitous pregnant guppy droopy downtube! i'd go for a slack [HTML_REMOVED] low retro inspired straight tubed steel frame however… tig climbmax or fillet romax 29'ers: drool…

Feb. 9, 2011, 2:09 p.m.

i've no problem w/ the 29'er-ness, but aarggghh - re: the gratuitous pregnant guppy droopy downtube! i'd go for a slack [HTML_REMOVED] low retro inspired straight tubed steel frame however… tig climbmax or fillet romax 29'ers: drool…

Kinda agree on the down tube comment. Looks a bit exposed. Is there a structural benefit?

Other than that it looks like a really fun bike.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Feb. 9, 2011, 2:32 p.m.

On a more useful note: are the benefits of a 29er (rolls better) worth the pitfalls (heavier wheels, not as strong wheels, taller bikes thus short riders can't use them, all the retooling that is now happening in the industry for the 29er)? I have never ridden one but people who have rave about them. It doesn't seem to add up.

some misconceptions here… short people can ride 29ers with no issue. Willows Koeber who is 5'2 came 2nd overall in World Cup on 29er. The wheels don't take as much abuse as the force is spread out more and they take edge out of the square hits. Rims aren't much heavier. Benefits far outway the negatives from my time in the saddle.

http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes[HTML_REMOVED]technology=true[HTML_REMOVED]taxid=103

:canada:

Feb. 9, 2011, 2:43 p.m.

LOL pedals.

Feb. 9, 2011, 2:58 p.m.

Actually the above post is lame. I'd love to understand why people post useless comments like this on a thread. Sorry to have reacted but threads get cluttered with these comments and it's tiring to read and scroll past to find the people who have something useful to contribute.

Thank you Kayaker… not sure why some people feel the need to publicly insult other people or companies. We're seven guys within Brodie, we do the best we can.

I agree, the future will be interesting knowing all those answers, but you're right a lot of people who do ride them rave about them. I think it has a good potential to replace cross country bikes eventually.. but that's just my personal opinion haha. Funny enough our product manager always says you can't teach an old dog new tricks; but once he tried the 29'er, he seems to love it so far.

As for being bandwagon jumpers, it's not a fact of jumping on a bandwagon, it's us waiting til we had the product right before we jump onto it. We all knew it was coming and the likely hood of it sticking to be a part of bicycle history, but until we got the geometry, strength etc. we didn't want to wing it. To make it ride properly (how we wanted) you need the right fork offset, we wanted short chain stays and a fork that wasn't just a 26" fork that could fit a 29'er wheel… it had to have the right geometry.

Anyway, the reason for the shaped downtube is so the fork controls would have clearance. Without a bend to the downtube, the tube would have to be welded higher on the headtube which isn't as strong as if you had it lower on the headtube.

Feb. 9, 2011, 3:04 p.m.

Anyway, the reason for the shaped downtube is so the fork controls would have clearance. Without a bend to the downtube, the tube would have to be welded higher on the headtube which isn't as strong as if you had it lower on the headtube.

thanks for that explanation. Now I know why we have all these guppy bikes running around. :)