Saint/Zee vs. Magura MT7/MT5 : mini review

March 10, 2015, 5:40 p.m.

Yet - after riding both Magura MT 4pots I bought a set of Shimano Saints. The lever just fits my hand better, power is plenty and I got the bling Saints much cheaper than the MT7s - also I have several pads, bleeding kit etc. from my Zees and other Shimanos.

seems your not alone in the lever fit. Allot of reviewers also noted not fitting the MT7s lever style.

I do like the feel of the new guide lever. Time will tell how they stand up though.

March 10, 2015, 7:57 p.m.

The calipers look great on both brakes, but the MT5 levers have really a utilitarian look to them. They seem to be the AK47 of brake levers. They look super shonky and cheap, but they work.

The MT7 lever is a piece of engineering/manufacturing art though. Feels smoother and sturdier, looks much sexier.
The BAT isn´t really a bitepoint adjust though, it rather influences where the lever throw starts. Not a big difference.

If I'm honest part of the reason I'm still thinking about/trying to justify the MT7s to myself is that they would look blingier on the Nomad that I'm building up, I'm just not sure that its enough to get over the price difference for me. What do mean by the BAT changes where the lever throw starts? That sounds the same as a reach adjust to me…

March 10, 2015, 8:43 p.m.

I test rode the MT5s against the MT7s at my friends shop test fleet on the weekend. Both versions have really good power and are easy to modulate. The MT7 was OEM-specced with the reach adjust screw from the MT5 (you´ll need a T25 to adjust reach, but can put the lever much closer to the bars).

The calipers look great on both brakes, but the MT5 levers have really a utilitarian look to them. They seem to be the AK47 of brake levers. They look super shonky and cheap, but they work.

The MT7 lever is a piece of engineering/manufacturing art though. Feels smoother and sturdier, looks much sexier.

Goes to show how different ergonomics are for different riders -- the new Magura levers feel awesome to me where as I find the Shimano (pivot point) feel like the hook isn't bike enough as you get close to the bar.

The MT7 is definitely a much higher end looking MC (same as Saint/XTR vs. Zee/SLX). I would love to see the picture of the brake your friend has with the reach adjuster from the MT5. I have tried the MT6, which does not have tool free reach adjust, but it is just a set screw driving the same hammer mechanism as the MT7 and the reach is not any closer (again, I have small hands).

It makes sense how the MT7 will deliver identical leverage on the MC piston at any lever throw (because of the hammer), but I didn't notice a difference in power from the MT7.

Definitely the MT7 is SEXIER though.

If I'm honest part of the reason I'm still thinking about/trying to justify the MT7s to myself is that they would look blingier on the Nomad that I'm building up, I'm just not sure that its enough to get over the price difference for me. What do mean by the BAT changes where the lever throw starts? That sounds the same as a reach adjust to me…

Reach adjust affects where the lever blade sits (static). BAT, like Servo Wave adjuster from Shimano, affects the lever throw vs. pad engagement point.

Like the Servo Wave adjuster from Shimano I think most people find BAT has a relatively minimal affect or lever feel and probably leave it in the firmest setting. Having tried the MT5 and MT7 I can almost justify the price of the MT7 (for you large handed folks) for the sex appeal, but BAT wouldn't have me opening my wallet.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

March 10, 2015, 9:28 p.m.

So what do these MT7 stoppers retail for locally? Looks like around $800+ from CRC.

March 11, 2015, 8:57 a.m.

Thanks for the detailed replies. I'm really curious to give these brakes a go. Its sounding like they should be worlds better than my suddenly disappearing 2010 Avid Codes! With the modulation they are supposed to have I won't have any excuses left for not learning proper nose wheelies ;-)

March 11, 2015, 12:13 p.m.

Reach adjust affects where the lever blade sits (static). BAT, like Servo Wave adjuster from Shimano, affects the lever throw vs. pad engagement point.

Like the Servo Wave adjuster from Shimano I think most people find BAT has a relatively minimal affect or lever feel and probably leave it in the firmest setting. Having tried the MT5 and MT7 I can almost justify the price of the MT7 (for you large handed folks) for the sex appeal, but BAT wouldn't have me opening my wallet.

You mean the free stroke adjust? The servo wave is the leverage change deelio that intialy moves the master cylinder piston quicker at a low leverage and less quick at a higher leverage when the pads contact the rotor or a little after for some modulation control i suppose. I'll have to play with the free stroke to see if it changes when the servo wave mechanism comes on. Never thought of it that way. I think a lot of folks screw out that free stroke screw and feel no difference because they failed to see that the lever reach goes out as the screw is backed off. Adjust the reach back where it was and you'll find that the screw does offer adjustment.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 11, 2015, 12:32 p.m.

I´ll snap a pic when I´m at the shop next time.
They did have the hammer, but the thread on the little screw is longer, so you can put the lever closer to the bar.

Magura even said supposedly, that they´ll alter the toolless screw to offer more adjustability in the near future. Read that somewhere in a German mag.

I think it´s funny - I remmember this complaint with the Magura brakes since the early days. Don´t really know why they don´t remember that?

I received my Saints today and the neat Trickstuff Matshi - adaptor for Sram shifters on I-spec brakes. Like the mismatch, but thinner profile.

I´ll post some pics once they´re on there…

March 12, 2015, 11:23 p.m.

I'll most likely get the MT5s. The link to the KingBarcelona site that was posted a few pages back is pretty over the top. The $115 price includes a 180mm rotor and I believe an adaptor as well… Kinda hard to argue with that price! Just gotta get in touch and figure out the shipping. Even if it $40 they'd still be a pretty smoking deal.

I'm looking a purchasing a spine lightweight spine protector for the upcoming race season so I'll most likely put the price difference between the MT5s and the MT7s towards that. I'm still curious though, does the BAT adjustment on the MT7s make a significant difference in the contact point of the brakes?

Just to let you know, real world exchange on your credit card bill as of late last week is about 1.438, so factor that in. That being said prices over there are very good. I've never done an order from Europe before last week, but I couldn't resist 50Euro each for the new ex471 rims (squorx nipples included:)

This thread has me curious, perhaps I need to have squeeze on Andrew's levers. I love my xtr's (especially with the trick looking Freeza rotors), and won't likely change them, but I will admit I find them a touch grabby at times.

Edit: Cripes, if I processed through paypal I may have got a more favourable rate. I ran an item through a checkout and it's closer to 1.38. YMMV I guess.

July 29, 2015, 10:54 a.m.

I drank the cool aid and got a pair of the MT5 and they rock. Replaced a set of SLX and it's a big upgrade in power and modulation.

Did anyone find a clean solution for mounting Shimano i-spec shifter? It kinda hurt pulling off the nice semi new i-spec shifter and digging into my parts bin and putting on and older shifter with a bent lever to match up with shiny new brakes.

July 29, 2015, 3:04 p.m.

Did anyone find a clean solution for mounting Shimano i-spec shifter?

The solution is clean and simple, but not what I'd call cheap:

1) Buy the Magura Matchmaker clamps.

2) Buy the Problem Solvers Matchmaker-to-ISpec adapters you need (ISpec 1 // ISpec 2).

I haven't run this setup myself (prefer no shifters) but have seen it in photos and it's good.

July 29, 2015, 5:06 p.m.

I have done some more Google work and found that the Hope ispec mounts work. They use the same bolt spacing on the lever clamp.

July 29, 2015, 5:28 p.m.

I have done some more Google work and found that the Hope ispec mounts work. They use the same bolt spacing on the lever clamp.

Good find!

July 30, 2015, 1:41 a.m.

Is that Shimano Ispec A, B, or the new 2? Hope website does not say. Also, the Magura bleed videos show blue oil, can we use Shimano's red mineral oil with MT7, I've got 2 liters.

If the Ispec is easy to sort, I'm probably keen for these. I guess $320 a side including rotor is pretty good for high end stoppers.

July 30, 2015, 9:35 a.m.

Is that Shimano Ispec A, B, or the new 2? Hope website does not say. Also, the Magura bleed videos show blue oil, can we use Shimano's red mineral oil with MT7, I've got 2 liters.

If the Ispec is easy to sort, I'm probably keen for these. I guess $320 a side including rotor is pretty good for high end stoppers.

They bypass A and B by mounting with the allen bolt on top.

Don't think there is an option yet for the newest II mounts.

July 30, 2015, 12:14 p.m.

Still using mine on a few bikes. The MT5s on my DH bike have seen 3 pad changes without bleeding and still perform consistently.