Saint/Zee vs. Magura MT7/MT5 : mini review

Feb. 13, 2015, 12:31 p.m.

I ran both and prefer the solid pad due to the extra material and contact surface and felt they last longer than the individual pads. I also have a thing about replacing parts: my OCD would kick in if say one individual pad was worn and need replacement but the others didn't: I'd replace all the pads anyways….

Isn't that normal Ken? I too would replace all of them.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 13, 2015, 12:33 p.m.

That's the only way I store my bikes. Keeps the stanchion/bushing interfaces and seals well lubricated.

What am I reporting back about?

I think that is 6061's offhand way of saying he needs to bleed his brakes.

I have wanted to try Magura brakes for a long time but I don't see them in shops when I am in need. Been running XTR trail for a while now and they've been really good.

Feb. 13, 2015, 12:57 p.m.

Isn't that normal Ken? I too would replace all of them.

With the individual pad option on the 4 piston Maguras, there's a chance that one pad out of 4 wears prematurely, or the leading set of pads wear out before the trailing set, etc. 2 solid pads helps prevent this.

Feb. 13, 2015, 2:08 p.m.

Good advice. I cleaned the rotors with iso, and torched the pads until they stopped smoking. I have done any sanding yet. They are good, very good, and I don't think about them much anymore, but I wouldn't shy away from MORE power.

Maybe a proper bed-in procedure will help? I would make sure the rotors are de-greased and maybe lightly scuff them with some sandpaper prior to doing some hard stops… of course the pads may also have picked up some contaminants if they rotors weren't clean, so a light sand of the pads may also help.

Or, you may just need more power… BUT I am over 220 with gear and Saints work fine for me on my DH bike.

Feb. 13, 2015, 3:08 p.m.

I think that is 6061's offhand way of saying he needs to bleed his brakes..

Sort of…

I've been a long time fan of Magura brakes, having run several pairs of Louise and Louise FR brakes over the last 8+ years.

I got a pair of MT6 about 18 months ago and have been plagued air or tiny leaks in the system since. They were NOT part of recall batch affected by freezing temps but were replaced by Orange anyway.

Since then, they been bled more times than any other brake I've used (including some terrible Hope Minis).

Anyway, they were bled about six weeks ago and about three rides later the lever was back to the bars.
I usually store my bike as I described but this time I flipped it so its hanging by it's back wheel instead. And lo, no more pulling the lever back to the bar….

So, I'm curious to know if the problem affecting MT6s have been sorted with the 5's or 7's….

Feb. 13, 2015, 7:19 p.m.

Sort of…

I've been a long time fan of Magura brakes, having run several pairs of Louise and Louise FR brakes over the last 8+ years.

I got a pair of MT6 about 18 months ago and have been plagued air or tiny leaks in the system since. They were NOT part of recall batch affected by freezing temps but were replaced by Orange anyway.

Since then, they been bled more times than any other brake I've used (including some terrible Hope Minis).

Anyway, they were bled about six weeks ago and about three rides later the lever was back to the bars.
I usually store my bike as I described but this time I flipped it so its hanging by it's back wheel instead. And lo, no more pulling the lever back to the bar….

So, I'm curious to know if the problem affecting MT6s have been sorted with the 5's or 7's….

Well that ain't right. Did they sub contract out to SRAM or something. I get that sometimes with the XTR trail brakes I have but a quick top bleed (bleed bucket only) cures that right away. Where does the air go when the bike is hung from the rear wheel?

Feb. 13, 2015, 7:37 p.m.

Where does the air go when the bike is hung from the rear wheel?

No idea but its bloody annoyingly inconsistent and has ruined a couple of rides including having to limp off the very top of the Chilcotins with only one working brake :-(
Mine hasn't been a scientific test by any means but I'm gonna store the bike rear wheel up until I find a permanent fix….

Feb. 13, 2015, 8:32 p.m.

Sort of…

1) The one thing I know for certain is that with almost every fork you should go back to hanging your bike from the front wheel. The inconvenience of a brake bleed is not the frustration/cost of damaged stanchions/bushings.

2) The disclaimers: A) I am not, and certainly do not pretend to be a bike mechanic. B) I do not work for/with Magura in any capacity, C) I can only tell you what has worked for me and do not in any way claim that it is recommended by Magura or will work for you, D) I do not know who previously bled your brakes and this is not meant to question their knowledge or technic, and E) actually, I think I covered it all…

3) On the first few sets of Magura brakes I owned (back in the day) getting all the air out of the caliper with a basic (push from the bottom) bleed was inconsistent. I hypothesize (F: I'm not an engineer) that it has something to do with removing the bleed fitting, but who knows, and it doesn't matter because with my three step process it has never been a problem again:

Step 1: Bleed brake as normal (syringe at caliper, bleed hose - and now Shimano-esque tub/open syringe - at master cylinder.

Step 2: Remove hose/tub from Master and replace fitting. Remove syringe from caliper and replace fitting. Cycle brake a few times.

Step 3: Remove fitting from master and insert tub/hose (with a bit of fluid). Remove rear wheel. Assuming fresh-ish pads (you don't the pistons to pop out -- only a risk with worn out pads) cycle the brake until the pads are almost touching. Using a clean pad spreading tool push the pistons back in. Replace the wheel. Cycle the brake a few times. Remove the hose/tub and replace the fitting.

When you spread the pads you will likely see a bunch more air in the hose/tub.

It sounds like a lot of extra work? But it really isn't and it has worked every time for me.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Feb. 13, 2015, 9:03 p.m.

1) The one thing I know for certain is that with almost every fork you should go back to hanging your bike from the front wheel. The inconvenience of a brake bleed is not the frustration/cost of damaged stanchions/bushings.

Death from brake failure is somewhat more inconvenient than worn stanchions or bushings [HTML_REMOVED]#128518;

BTW: having sprayed brake fluid all over my block paved patio numerous times due to my own incompetence, I happily leave this messy job to the professionals at Steed…

Feb. 23, 2015, 2:38 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/solid-strike-review-2015.html

Positive reviews of MT 7 spec'd on this DH bike.

Shed head!

March 1, 2015, 6:33 p.m.

Available for about $115 a side from here (after VAT is removed):

http://www.kingbarcelona.com/en/magura-mt5-disc-brake-180mm-2015-p-28222.html

I've ordered from this site before and they are legit. And reasonable shipping.

March 2, 2015, 9:05 a.m.

Enduro the free online magazine did a test of a bunch of brakes this month. MT7 was their favourite. Surprise surprise, SRAM Guide was lowest of all six. XT was considered best value. Maura had great power, almost as strong as Saint but better modulation. And very light too.

March 2, 2015, 11:52 a.m.

Enduro the free online magazine did a test of a bunch of brakes this month. MT7 was their favourite. Surprise surprise, SRAM Guide was lowest of all six. XT was considered best value. Maura had great power, almost as strong as Saint but better modulation. And very light too.

Just read part of the review. So, if Saint had more absolute power than the Magura MT5s I am curious why Drew is claiming a RIDICULOUS increase in power for the MT5s over the Saints? Or is he talking more about modulation?

March 2, 2015, 11:59 a.m.

The modulation is where the MT brakes really shine.

March 2, 2015, 12:02 p.m.

Just read part of the review. So, if Saint had more absolute power than the Magura MT5s I am curious why Drew is claiming a RIDICULOUS increase in power for the MT5s over the Saints? Or is he talking more about modulation?

Better modulation; I noticed a notable increase in power as well (and that has been the feedback from others I know who have bought them).

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather