Saint lever siezed

Dec. 14, 2016, 9:19 a.m.

I've actually had this happen before with an XT lever, warrantied that one, but it took a long time. Bought saints in the meantime.

Now it looks like the saints I bought have the same issue. Looks like I bought them 2014-05-04.

Temperature may exasperate this issue as I went for a ride last night. They felt a little odd, but were working ok. They only ended up locking up in my house once they had warmed up.

I found these instructions which I might try tonight to see if i can fix them.

http://www.bikehub.co.za/forum/topic/155987-fixworkaround-shimano-xt-m785-brake-lever/

Anybody come across this issue, I think it's fairly rare. Any suggestions?

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 14, 2016, 8:13 p.m.

Well I tried the method in the above link.

Everything went well until I wrecked on of the seals on the piston. Guess I'm buying a new one.

The piston itself is plastic. Does it swell up over time? I cleaned the piston up quite well, and tried to insert it back into the lever and the fit was way tight.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 15, 2016, 7:46 a.m.

I have had the same issue with XTR's. I had pulled them apart a couple of times to clean them thoroughly and have had them function for a little while. I think that the real problem is that over time(originally purchased in 2012) and use the seals actually swell and become just too big for the cylinder.

I ended up replacing them.

It was at times like this I really missed my old Hopes and having the ability to just replace the seals for a couple of bucks.

Dec. 15, 2016, 8 a.m.

Thing is, even with the seals removed, the piston was a really tight fit (had to hammer it in). Maybe both are swelling.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov