sag

Feb. 10, 2018, 6:42 p.m.

Do offset bushings change the way sag is achieved?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 10, 2018, 6:49 p.m.

Maybe, but it doesn’t matter in the context it’s measured.

Feb. 13, 2018, 8:16 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

No because the i2i and stroke remain the same.

Feb. 14, 2018, 8:25 a.m.

Posted by: T-mack

By definition, an offset bushing, well.....ummm.....offsets the eyelet.  So the stroke will stay the same, but the i2i is definitely changed.  How would one expect any difference in geometry if neither the stroke or i2i were changed?

Feb. 14, 2018, 8:32 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

By definition, an offset bushing, well.....ummm.....offsets the eyelet.  So the stroke will stay the same, but the i2i is definitely changed.  How would one expect any difference in geometry if neither the stroke or i2i were changed?

Because its the orientation of the frame on the shock that you're changing. The i2i of the actual shock doesnt change thus the travel amount and sag dont change. Think of any frame with a flip chip system (spartan for example). When you go to slack youre just essentially moving the seatstay up the shock body changing the frame orientation. This doesnt change the actual shock whatsoever.

Feb. 14, 2018, 8:56 a.m.

By definition, an offset bushing, well.....ummm.....offsets the eyelet. So the stroke will stay the same, but the i2i is definitely changed. How would one expect any difference in geometry if neither the stroke or i2i were changed?

Because its the orientation of the frame on the shock that you're changing. The i2i of the actual shock doesnt change thus the travel amount and sag dont change. Think of any frame with a flip chip system (spartan for example). When you go to slack youre just essentially moving the seatstay up the shock body changing the frame orientation. This doesnt change the actual shock whatsoever.

Flip chip system is different than an offset bushing. An offset bushing definitely changes the effective i2i of the shock.

https://www.offsetbushings.com/pages/how-they-work

Last edited by: shoreboy on Feb. 14, 2018, 9 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 14, 2018, 9:06 a.m.

By definition, an offset bushing, well.....ummm.....offsets the eyelet. So the stroke will stay the same, but the i2i is definitely changed. How would one expect any difference in geometry if neither the stroke or i2i were changed?

Flip chip system is different than an offset bushing. An offset bushing definitely changes the effective i2i of the shock.

Omg ok all the offset reducer does is change the location of the mounting hardware relative to the shock eye thats machined into the shock body. The only way to change the i2i would be to change the stroke or what have you of the shock. Sag is based on travel of the bike correct? Travel doesnt change when you install offset reducers so you dont have to change the sag. All that changes is the geo of the bike. The offset reducers are just glorified flip chips doing essentially the same thing.

Edit: I guess if you were to say the 'i2i' of the hardware changes then yes I would agree but that still wouldnt change the fact that the travel/sag dont change.

Last edited by: T-mack on Feb. 14, 2018, 9:09 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 14, 2018, 9:13 a.m.

Omg ok all the offset reducer does is change the location of the mounting hardware relative to the shock eye thats machined into the shock body. The only way to change the i2i would be to change the stroke or what have you of the shock. Sag is based on travel of the bike correct? Travel doesnt change when you install offset reducers so you dont have to change the sag. All that changes is the geo of the bike. The offset reducers are just glorified flip chips doing essentially the same thing.

I wasnt actually addressing the sag question. I was merely pointing out that offset bushings change the effective i2i of the shock.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Feb. 14, 2018, 9:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 14, 2018, 10:36 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

I wasnt actually addressing the sag question. I was merely pointing out that offset bushings change the effective i2i of the shock.

sag = gas

Just quoting this to see how big the quote chain can get

Feb. 14, 2018, 11:11 a.m.

sag = gas

LolOlOL

Feb. 14, 2018, 1 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

sag = gas

LolOlOL

Thanks for the help!

Feb. 14, 2018, 1:22 p.m.

Good stuff.

Feb. 26, 2018, 11:01 a.m.

The LR on my bike is progressive to linear in the last 10mm of travel and adding an offset bushing pushed the travel up 3mm by eliminating that last bit of linearity and gaining a bit more progression to the beginning of the stroke so it can effect the sag to a degree.