Saddles with low stack height

Sept. 24, 2021, 8:02 p.m.

I upsized my latest bike, and I'm pretty happy, but currently stuck with a 160 mm dropper, which is a bit too short in my opinion.

I'm considering going for a oneup dropper on the seatpost side, but would also like to optimize my saddle to get the seat as far down as possible. Unfortunately its really hard to find any data about the stack height on saddles. 

From what I've found so far, some of the WTB saddles seem relatively low. Also the relatively recent Nukeproof Horizon Enduro saddle is marketed as being optimized for a low stack height, but they don't state any actual measurements.

If someone has some input on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Sept. 24, 2021, 8:55 p.m.

I would have to check for the numbers but my SQ Labs 611 seems low stack and profile. Bonus that I find it a great saddle. 

Personally the most important thing in a saddle for me is comfort.

Sept. 25, 2021, 8:52 a.m.

Careful with low stack seats on a Oneup. I resolved a clicking issue on mine caused by the seat shell contacting the top of the clamp head. That was with a Trek seat that came on my Remedy.

Sept. 25, 2021, 9:08 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Careful with low stack seats on a Oneup. I resolved a clicking issue on mine caused by the seat shell contacting the top of the clamp head. That was with a Trek seat that came on my Remedy.

Tend to agree with that, part of how one up get the length short if the offset rail clamps which put part of the head of the dropper "inside" the seat. 

That said wtb seats are reasonably short and generally comfortable.  

Just going one up will help at any rate. Probably worth 20mm.

Sept. 25, 2021, 10:42 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Cheers, that is some great advise. I wonder if the cutout on say the Nukeproof Horizon Enduro saddle might help with that issue?

Sept. 25, 2021, 10:50 a.m.

Posted by: Tadpoledancer

I upsized my latest bike, and I'm pretty happy, but currently stuck with a 160 mm dropper, which is a bit too short in my opinion.

I'm considering going for a oneup dropper on the seatpost side, but would also like to optimize my saddle to get the seat as far down as possible. Unfortunately its really hard to find any data about the stack height on saddles. 

From what I've found so far, some of the WTB saddles seem relatively low. Also the relatively recent Nukeproof Horizon Enduro saddle is marketed as being optimized for a low stack height, but they don't state any actual measurements.

Assuming a non-chamois rider?

Sept. 25, 2021, 10:55 p.m.

I swapped from a Speshy Phenom to a WTB volt and had to shim my Oneup down to 200mm - so the Phenom could give you a few mm if it suits your taint.

Sept. 26, 2021, 12:52 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Yep, no chamois here.

Sept. 26, 2021, 12:53 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

I swapped from a Speshy Phenom to a WTB volt and had to shim my Oneup down to 200mm - so the Phenom could give you a few mm if it suits your taint.

Cheers, thats a good tip.

Sept. 28, 2021, 1:25 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Yep, no chamois here.

Running chamoisless too. 

SQLab 60X has been pain free, low profile at 4cm center of rail to top. For reference my Chromag Trailmaster is nearly 6cm. 

One note on the SQ if you get one, be sure to run the swappable bumpers. I've seen it written that removing the bumpers makes the saddle "softer", the bumpers just provide back of the saddle support for climbing that's it. Remove it and the saddle is exactly as hard, just now it's without support at the back.

Also could check out Specialized Phenom  & Ergon SM Enduro.