Running Inserts

Nov. 25, 2019, 11:46 a.m.

I've ordered a Christmas present for myself - Nukeproof ARD (similar to Cushcore).

I have a stupid question. If/when I get a flat (sidewall or puncture), I am assuming I pull out the sealant drenched insert, wrap it around my body and toss in a tube...alternatively, leave the insert in place and use a bacon-strip. If the latter, I don't need to carry a backup tube any longer. Am I missing something? Is there some other form of black-magic that I could leverage here?

Nov. 25, 2019, 1:27 p.m.

Posted by: Taz123

I've ordered a Christmas present for myself - Nukeproof ARD (similar to Cushcore).

I have a stupid question. If/when I get a flat (sidewall or puncture), I am assuming I pull out the sealant drenched insert, wrap it around my body and toss in a tube...alternatively, leave the insert in place and use a bacon-strip. If the latter, I don't need to carry a backup tube any longer. Am I missing something? Is there some other form of black-magic that I could leverage here?

If you slice a sidewall then a bacon strip wont help and the insert couldn't of helped you.

Nov. 25, 2019, 1:39 p.m.

I don't know much about the Nukeproof inserts, but CushCore allows you to ride out on a flat.

If you're running inserts front and back (that are substantial enough to ride out on flat), you could decide not to bring a tube. But a bit of redundancy doesn't hurt. Having a tube leaves you with a couple options.

Nov. 25, 2019, 2:44 p.m.

If you get a sidewall slice, the plugs wont help you as was mentioned. They really only work when you get a roundish puncture.  Get yourself a couple of tire boots and a tube for backup.  If you want to keep the weight down, get one of those fancy Tubolito tubes as a backup.

Nov. 25, 2019, 3:24 p.m.

I'm running cush cores, and have resigned myself to the fact that I'm never going to be able to remove/install a tire trailside. It's hard enough to do with proper tools and a garbage can at home. I do carry a decent selection of bacon strips and tire patches, but I don't even bother carrying a tube anymore - no point. And I'm not going to jinx my record by stating the number of flats I've had while running said inserts!! ;)

Nov. 26, 2019, 1:50 p.m.

Posted by: Taz123

I had a couple side wall flats this fall [damn you Maxxis EXO! ;-)]. Both times I put larger motorcycle tubeless plugs in the hole and continued my ride. Once home I cut the plug off flush with the sidewall using a razor blade and applied a tube patch over the hole from the outside. So far so good. I don't use Cushcore, but for these smaller flats if you have enough plugs and fresh sealant you can seal the hole from the outside.

I was on a ride in Moab where someone cracked a carbon rim on the rear with Cushcore in it. Holy hell that was no fun to even watch him deal with that. Eventually he got the tire off, Cushcore off, wore it bandoleer style all covered in Stans, inserted a tube, applied a tire patch [energy bar wrapper] and limped back to camp.

Nov. 26, 2019, 5:08 p.m.

Remind me again why we don't all just run tubes.

Nov. 26, 2019, 5:13 p.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

Pinchflats.

Nov. 26, 2019, 6:11 p.m.

Could you tee that up any higher? 😂

Nov. 27, 2019, 12:14 a.m.

I find being wrong a good learning experience. 

And fair enough. I’ve had two pinch flats this year, and one tube in a tire explode in the sun in my car. All tubes had 40psi in them. I probably could have avoided all 3 with rim strips. Does sealant dry out in a hot car?

Nov. 27, 2019, 6:31 a.m.

Just speaking for myself...

- fewer flats [especially those pesky slow leak ones]

- lower rolling resistance

- higher traction

- ability to run lower pressures without pinch flatting [I run ~20psi +/-2 at 195lbs ready to ride weight]

- fast flat repairs with plugs [in most cases]

I've had an unusually high number of tubeless flats in 2019 at three [thanks Maxxis EXO! ;-)] and each one got fixed with tubeless plugs on the trail. The fix goes like this...#1 stick plug in from outside of tire, #2 pump up tire and #3 ride my bike. That's a lot faster and less hassles than when I was running tubes and flatted more often. 

I don't bother with tire inserts.

Nov. 27, 2019, 8:32 a.m.

For those that are "insert curious", chainreaction are selling them for just over $50CAD - I figure its worth an experiment for my clydesdaleness.

Nov. 27, 2019, 10:30 a.m.

I don't know how you can run 40psi on a mountain bike. You definitely can't get away with that kind of thing with the conditions here. Inserts are definitely a pain in the ass to install, but after you've done the process once, it's a lot easier the next time. I'm running carbon rims and I feel a lot better rallying down chunder with the cush cores in. I once accidentally did an entire ride with ~17psi in the tires, and it was fine.

I think if you ride aggressively on savage trails, inserts make sense. I've had them on for a few months, and am sticking with them. And yeah - zero flats so far (knocks on wood). The only real downside that I've found is that your tire pressures will fluctuate much more with temperature changes. I think it's because the inserts greatly reduce the actual air volume in the tire. Starting on a cold morning at around 22psi, I've seen my tires get noticeably stiffer as the temperature increases.

Nov. 27, 2019, 3:53 p.m.

Suspension Gurus, how should I modify my suspension settings to account for arguably stiffer tires?

Nov. 27, 2019, 6:06 p.m.

Convert to coil 😂