Rune with 40's

June 18, 2008, 1:02 p.m.

Would it work? A friend has needs a new frame, budget and time are limited. He'll be moving his 40's across from the old one.
There just so happens to be a Rune available and decently priced…

June 18, 2008, 1:39 p.m.

Would it work? A friend has needs a new frame, budget and time are limited. He'll be moving his 40's across from the old one.
There just so happens to be a Rune available and decently priced…

The 40 can easily be dropped to 7" or 6".

The 7" mode with a zero stack headset would probably fit a Rune perfectly.

It is a little portly compared to say running a 6.5" travel Fox 36 Vanilla but if weight is not your #1 concern then definitely go for it.

At sub-7 pounds the 40 is inline with most aggressive 7" single crowns weight wise.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

June 18, 2008, 3:26 p.m.

the Rune is a great setup with a Fox 36 or Rockshox Lyric

the 40 would certainly work on the 6" setting, but its heavier than the 36 or Lyric and kinda overkill on an all-mtn frame, and you may end up with a rig that gets mistaken for a Specialized Enduro SL…ha ha

the bike may feel less nimble with a dual crown fork, and less style potential in the air, but what the hell…it might look pretty rad with the 40 ;)

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

June 18, 2008, 7:41 p.m.

Thanks. Did think we could just whack the travel down, though the a-c for the 40 is 565mm, and a Lyrik would be 545mm, so knocking about 1 degree off the head angle could be good (67, in my opinion, is too steep for pointing a bike downwards).
I'd guess that the BB height increase wouldn't be too bad either. Too lazy to do the trig, but I assume not more than 1/2", which would leave a manageable 14.6(ish)" BB. I find I clip pedals fairly frequently on my Nomad with Totems on and the geo is pretty close.

Anything has got to be better than the 5" Brodie frame he's riding at the moment :)

June 19, 2008, 3:06 p.m.

Do not run the 40 in the 8" position, the Rune is only rated for a 7" fork. I would change the 40 out as soon as possible, there are lots of single crown forks that are much better suited to the Rune.

June 19, 2008, 11:03 p.m.

But my 7" Totem has the same axle to crown as the 8" 40. A '05 7" 66 is over and inch taller. Surely the a-c is what counts?

(and yes, I am that geeky).

June 20, 2008, 10:33 a.m.

I have a Rune with a Fox 36 Van RC2. It is simply a spectacular bike.

I also have a big bike with a Fox 40. I'm not going to try it any time soon, but I was thinking of trying out the exact set-up you are thinking of doing.

Lowering the travel on the 40 and slapping it on my Rune.

I'd need to measure the Axle to Crown to get the angles right, but it would make for a [HTML_REMOVED]#252;ber wicked mini DH bike.

So Tonestar……is it okay to put a DC on a RUNE?? Hate to put you on the spot, but does Banshee give it's blessing??

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

June 20, 2008, 10:50 a.m.

So Tonestar……is it okay to put a DC on a RUNE?? Hate to put you on the spot, but does Banshee give it's blessing??

I will ask Keith, I can't answer that for sure, all I know is we say it's rated for a 7" travel fork. I don't think anybody thought that a bike like the Rune would be used with a dual crown fork, especially with so many good options in the long travel single crown market.

June 20, 2008, 11:07 a.m.

Never underestimate the 'creativity' of the buying public :)

June 20, 2008, 12:43 p.m.

I don't think anybody thought that a bike like the Rune would be used with a dual crown fork,

Never underestimate the 'creativity' of the buying public

what about the "stupidity" of the Big S with their Enduro SL?

that range of bikes is so crying out for a nice Rockshox Lyric as standard spec…

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

June 21, 2008, 12:21 a.m.

The official Banshee word on the dealio is.
I don't want to encourage the use of a DC fork on the Rune.
So I would say for now put on the DH40 to get you riding but throw it up for sale ASAP and use the money for 6" fork… even the Domain 318 160mm comes at a pretty decent price and I've only ever heard good things about it.
Its like anything else, some guys will be ok with it… some will be complete hacks and in the end its your face.
Questions you need to ask are how heavy am i, what am i gonna be using this bike for with this setup, and am I a hack.

~22Pride~

I do private bike camps as well but they are for ladies only and usually involve a sleepover.

June 21, 2008, 8:31 a.m.

Yeah official word is… rune is not covered by warranty if used long term with a double crown fork.

however we are a small company and rider owned and operated, and we know and understand that our customers sometimes need to keep parts from old bike when switching frame. so by all means use the 40 for a bit, but I encourage you to switch across to a 7" single crown asap.

thanks,
Keith

Keith Scott
Banshee Bikes Designer
www.bansheebikes.com
http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com

June 21, 2008, 9:14 a.m.

So I would say for now put on the DH40 to get you riding but throw it up for sale ASAP and use the money for 6" fork… even the Domain 318 160mm comes at a pretty decent price and I've only ever heard good things about it.

I think, despite "only ever [hearing] good things," that you would have to admit there is a bit of a difference in the quality of workmanship and feel between a high end Fox 40 and a budget fork like a Domain.

Would you tell a guy to sell his Dorado and replace it with Marzocchi Dirt Jumper?

Yeah official word is… rune is not covered by warranty if used long term with a double crown fork.

Two thoughts Keith:

1) What is the issue with running a dual crown if the axle-to-crown on the fork is the same or actually shorter then the single crown you are recommending? A Fox 40 dropped to 180mm is approximately the same height as a Fox 36 at 160mm.

A 180mm Totem, Travis, or 66 all of which that bike is approved for use with are all taller then a Fox 40 dropped to 180mm (I believe the Nixon is actually taller then the 40 with the 40 set at 200mm of travel) and are, therefore, putting more leverage on the headtube.

Do the stresses of an dual crown and single crown of the same A-C height actually differ that greatly on a highly hydroformed frame with a huge headtube (huge weld surface) to violate a warranty? Or is it just the image of the dual crown?

2) What percentage (really) or your customers would bother running a 180mm dual crown when left, right, and center they are being told/marketed to buy single crowns for a variety of reasons (lighter: they can be but most aren't, more turning radius: who cares)? I am guessing it is going to be extremely small. What percentage of those customers are going to ride hard enough to do any damage to their frame with a dual crown (of the same or shorter A-C height) that would not have been done with a single crown?

I am guessing we are talking about 1-2[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of your customer base (1 or 2 out of every 100 frames sold) would think about putting on a dual crown and maybe 10% of those people are riding hard enough for it to matter?

Why then even bother to come out and make this point when really all you are asking is for the 0.1% of customers that may have an issue to lie if they do request a warranty and tell you they were running a single crown.

Furthermore, since we are talking about a warranty for manufacturers defects chances are if they are running a single-crown and tear their headtube off (unlikely) they are not going to receive a warranty replacement anyways.

I am REALLY curious as I had a similar discussion with another frame manufacturer lately and their reasons amounted to perceived usage of a dual crown vs. a 1.5 steer single crown of the same travel.

Cheers,

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

June 21, 2008, 2:46 p.m.

I think, despite "only ever [hearing] good things," that you would have to admit there is a bit of a difference in the quality of workmanship and feel between a high end Fox 40 and a budget fork like a Domain.

Would you tell a guy to sell his Dorado and replace it with Marzocchi Dirt Jumper?

Two thoughts Keith:

1) What is the issue with running a dual crown if the axle-to-crown on the fork is the same or actually shorter then the single crown you are recommending? A Fox 40 dropped to 180mm is approximately the same height as a Fox 36 at 160mm.

A 180mm Totem, Travis, or 66 all of which that bike is approved for use with are all taller then a Fox 40 dropped to 180mm (I believe the Nixon is actually taller then the 40 with the 40 set at 200mm of travel) and are, therefore, putting more leverage on the headtube.

Do the stresses of an dual crown and single crown of the same A-C height actually differ that greatly on a highly hydroformed frame with a huge headtube (huge weld surface) to violate a warranty? Or is it just the image of the dual crown?

2) What percentage (really) or your customers would bother running a 180mm dual crown when left, right, and center they are being told/marketed to buy single crowns for a variety of reasons (lighter: they can be but most aren't, more turning radius: who cares)? I am guessing it is going to be extremely small. What percentage of those customers are going to ride hard enough to do any damage to their frame with a dual crown (of the same or shorter A-C height) that would not have been done with a single crown?

I am guessing we are talking about 1-2[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of your customer base (1 or 2 out of every 100 frames sold) would think about putting on a dual crown and maybe 10% of those people are riding hard enough for it to matter?

Why then even bother to come out and make this point when really all you are asking is for the 0.1% of customers that may have an issue to lie if they do request a warranty and tell you they were running a single crown.

Furthermore, since we are talking about a warranty for manufacturers defects chances are if they are running a single-crown and tear their headtube off (unlikely) they are not going to receive a warranty replacement anyways.

I am REALLY curious as I had a similar discussion with another frame manufacturer lately and their reasons amounted to perceived usage of a dual crown vs. a 1.5 steer single crown of the same travel.

Cheers,

-D

The head tube area of the rune could take the forks no problem I am sure. But we do not want to encourage the use of the rune as a DH bike because it was not designed to be a DH bike. I know riders are finding that its good for the occasional race, and thats fine, but we don't want riders to use it for out and out DH racing all the time as it was not designed to take these kinda of forces and stresses. Hence only single crown forks up to a max of 180mm travel (160mm is recommended for geometry reasons). We don't want this to be thought of as a super lightweight DH rig like a socom, because like a socom the frames will fail after time with the abuse and we don't want to put our customers at risk. If you want fox preformance then I'd suggest a Fox 36 would be perfect for the bike.

Just to answer your question…Yes dual crown stresses are a lot higher than single crown stresses as the forks are less flexible for the same axle to crown height, hence put much higher shock loading on the head tube. But as I said thats not really the issue, as you pointed out, its image in the sense that we don't want people to start thinking that the rune is a DH / hardcore FR bike.

I believe that the first part of my answer really answers the second part of your question too. It comes down to the fact that the Rune is NOT a DH bike, and we do not want to encourage people to put tripple clamps on it and race DH all the time as the frame was not designed for that kind of abuse. and also the suspension linkage was designed to work with 150-160mm forks and I spent a lot of time tuning it this way.

I'm sure you can understand where I'm comming from. If our riders really want to run triple clamps, then they should get a Scythe or wait for the Legend, as they are designed for the type of riding that requires tripple clamps.

180-200mm forks are not designed for all mountain riding. The Rune is an all mountain bike.

Keith Scott
Banshee Bikes Designer
www.bansheebikes.com
http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com

June 23, 2008, 12:28 p.m.

Well said Keith, I think that really answers all the questions.