Rubber(s)

June 11, 2013, 10:45 a.m.

After a long hiatus I'm back riding - and I'm feeling a little out of the loop. So I thought I'd get some feedback from those of you who have been riding. And who love to geek out on gear.

I've got two rides on my new machine (2013 Enduro frame - 26") and I'm looking for some rubber feedback. I've got Specialized Purgatory controls on there (the 2.2 version - which are similar to a 2.5 Maxxis in width it seems) and my first step will likely be to take them tubeless on Easton Haven Carbons.

I've been a Maxxis guy for a long time and I'm a fan of the 2.35 minions on an AM bike. I am one of the few who likes the rear on the rear as well but I'm looking to branch out.

So I'd like something around the volume and width of the 2.35 minions, good in the wet, easy to set up tubeless and to keep running well, aggressive tread that digs into corners and actual weight under 700 grams. Most of my riding is here on the Shore and this will be my one bike for the season (aside from testers etc.).

What do you have for me gear gurus?

June 11, 2013, 10:57 a.m.

Sounds like it is time to get your hands on some Maxxis HR2s and DHR2s! Both are much incredible tires and are available in different compounds to handle anything from dry to wet weather as well as different casings (including the sweet tubeless ready casing).

The HR2 is a faster rolling tire with slightly less grip when things get really rough (smaller knobs fold a bit easier) but clears mud really well and is, IMO, the best tire out there for mixed conditions. Recommended front and rear or with a DHF up front.

The DHR2 excels when pushed really hard down steep chutes or at high speed. The bigger knobs hold on for dear life when pushed hard. Recommended front and rear or with a DHF up front.

After a long hiatus I'm back riding - and I'm feeling a little out of the loop. So I thought I'd get some feedback from those of you who have been riding. And who love to geek out on gear.

I've got two rides on my new machine (2013 Enduro frame - 26") and I'm looking for some rubber feedback. I've got Specialized Purgatory controls on there (the 2.2 version - which are similar to a 2.5 Maxxis in width it seems) and my first step will likely be to take them tubeless on Easton Haven Carbons.

I've been a Maxxis guy for a long time and I'm a fan of the 2.35 minions on an AM bike. I am one of the few who likes the rear on the rear as well but I'm looking to branch out.

So I'd like something around the volume and width of the 2.35 minions, good in the wet, easy to set up tubeless and to keep running well, aggressive tread that digs into corners and actual weight under 700 grams. Most of my riding is here on the Shore and this will be my one bike for the season (aside from testers etc.).

What do you have for me gear gurus?

June 11, 2013, 11:11 a.m.

^ what he said.

I'm running DHR2 both front and rear (3C front and 60 rear) on my Dh bike and am very happy with the combo. Better braking than DHF and better all round than a DHR which I was also one of the few to still run in the rear. Never liked the squirelly nature of the DHF in the rear and the DHR2 also feels more solid in the front and brakes better. Not what you're looking for, but Bogey brought it up.

I tried a DHR2 3C on the back of my trail bike, and it was grippy as fly paper, but it wore too quick and weighed too much, so I went to a HR2 3C Exo in the back and DHF ST Exo in the front and am very happy with the lifespan and traction. The day they make a DHR2 Exo I'm sold for the trail bike as well. The 'trail' version of 3C for rear and ST for the front please Mr Maxxis product manager. (Edit: They make them now. Sweet!)

Exo 2.4/2.5 doesn't quite meet your 700g, but pretty close and it's hard to deny the traction. You may find the extra weight worth it. I run mine tubeless with Stan's.

June 11, 2013, 11:12 a.m.

^ Are either of the HR2 or DHR2 available in a [HTML_REMOVED]700g version?

flickr

June 11, 2013, 11:26 a.m.

^ Are either of the HR2 or DHR2 available in a [HTML_REMOVED]700g version?

Just went to the Maxxis site and I thought the weight was a bit less than they are. And also just found out they are making DHR2 in exo now, which is awesome.

You can get a DHR2 2.3 3C at 755g and run them front and rear.

June 11, 2013, 11:43 a.m.

That's definitely more reasonable than the 850-880g 2.5 EXO DHF, which I still really enjoy despite the heft. Now, when will we see them…

flickr

June 11, 2013, 11:56 a.m.

Just mounted up a DHR II Exo 2.3 Tubeless ready last night!

Super stoked to finally have a rear tire to handle everything - I'll let you know how it performs but it mounted tubeless really easily - my first go at it and I had everything dialed in about 30 minutes.

Still running a 2.5 dhf exo up front but really thinking of doing the DHR II up there as well.

Cam, for sub 700 gram I think you'd be hard pressed to do better than the Purgatory for an all arounder.

June 11, 2013, 12:34 p.m.

Front Butcher Control 2.3

It's basically the same tread pattern as the DHF but you don't have to go all the way up to a 2.5 900g tire to get it.

Rear The Captain 2.2

It's got a fast rolling centre section of knobs with an open channel to to good sized side knobs. Don't toss a boat anchor slow rolling DH tire on the back. You don't need all that rear braking traction on a trail bike unless you are surfing endless scree and dust chutes.

Last year I ran a 2.5 DHF Exo on the front and a Kenda BBG on the rear. The BBG is a strange looking tire when you first look at it but it rails, lean the bike over and it digs in. The Captain is the same concept. The new Rock Razor tire from Schwalbe is also the same. The big guns in Euro enduro racing have been running either a 2.35 HR Dh casing with the centre knobs shaved or a DHF 2.35 DH with cut down centre knobs for faster rolling.

June 11, 2013, 12:37 p.m.

For my all mountain rig I've been enjoying the Specialized Clutch Control tire (single ply and around 800 grams). They have lots of tread with big side knobs which are great on wet roots. Great traction all around. I use the sx version (1.5 ply) on my dh rig (about 950 grams). If you want a faster rolling tire the Specialized Butcher is very similar to a Minion DHF. Nice tire but the side knobs are whimpy and squitrm a little under my old man weight!

June 11, 2013, 12:39 p.m.

… oh yeah, forgot to say all 2.3 width( equivalent to Maxxis 2.5). The Specialized2.5's are huge (like a Maxxis 2.7)

June 11, 2013, 1:44 p.m.

So I'd like something around the volume and width of the 2.35 minions, good in the wet, easy to set up tubeless and to keep running well, aggressive tread that digs into corners and actual weight under 700 grams. Most of my riding is here on the Shore and this will be my one bike for the season (aside from testers etc.)

How about a 2.35 Minion DHF? If it aint broke…

Or the 2.3 Butcher control

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 11, 2013, 2:41 p.m.

How about a 2.35 Minion DHF? If it aint broke…

Or the 2.3 Butcher control

Weight for both of those methinks. Lots of good feedback here. I knew I came to the right place!

June 11, 2013, 2:45 p.m.

Im still rocking my Michelin 2.8 up front, also known as mr plow.

June 11, 2013, 2:47 p.m.

I've been riding both the Purgatory Control 2.3 and Butcher Control 2.3 in 29" flavour recently and have yet to find a tire that comes in as light, works well tubeless, and provides the same grip while not being super slow.

People really like Schwalbe for their light snakeskin casings and relatively good grip, but I think there's a big gap between the Nobby Nic and the Hans Dampf in terms of grip/rolling resistance and the tire I would want is in between there.

flickr

June 11, 2013, 2:47 p.m.

I heard good things about the Hans Dampf and Trail Kings. Can anyone comment on these two tires