RS Totem.... too much for me?

Aug. 20, 2010, 9:57 a.m.

If you were in Van I'd say take your suspension bits to James at Suspension worx (or look into how much it would be to ship them to him [HTML_REMOVED] back).

The thing about suspension (low end, middle of the road, or high end parts) is that you don't really know what you got if it's not set up right. Know what I mean? You could upgrade to a Boxxer World Cup and be disappointed if it wasn't adjusted to work for you.

It will be cheaper and you'll probably be happier if you spend money on getting your fork/shock set for your weight/riding style. Any LBS should be able to get you rolling for pretty cheap. With the proper spring [HTML_REMOVED] oil you can get that domain dialled.

Aug. 20, 2010, 12:37 p.m.

the upgrade to a 318 would be worthwhile. the moco cartridge isn't just for pedalling, it adjusts your low-speed compression damping, which helps prevent the fork compressing like crazy when you hit the brakes, hit a g-out at speed, and generally makes the bike more stable. what that does mean is that it won't be as supple if you're going slow, but since you say you like to go fast, it will really help. buying and installing the damping cartridge would be a fair bit cheaper than a new fork, and you won't have to gamble with getting saddled with a piece of garbage that looks good on the outside, but is totally fucked on the inside.

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 20, 2010, 12:48 p.m.

How much is a MoCo cartridge though? sounds like a good idea. and for installation- is it just pulling old one out, putting new one in, then just screwing the top cap back on?

Aug. 20, 2010, 2:15 p.m.

How much is a MoCo cartridge though? sounds like a good idea. and for installation- is it just pulling old one out, putting new one in, then just screwing the top cap back on?

maybe $200 at most, I would take the opportunity to service the fork completely, but pretty much. actually, looking at the tech manual, the amount of oil in the damper leg is identical between 302 and 318, so yeah.

Here's the manual:
http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/tech_manuals.php

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 20, 2010, 7:02 p.m.

I would say don't bother. I've ridden both and if you're just doing light freeride stuff the domain is more than enough. Also, re: motion control.. if you don't find yourself messing with your adjustments very often, it's a little pointless. That being said I use the lockout on my totem all the time.

Aug. 20, 2010, 7:38 p.m.

meh I dont really fool around with adjustments to much. I'm more of a set it and forget it type of guy. I typically set up a fork/shock once, then after that never really touch it anymore. I never use lock out on any of my bikes either. Who is james at suspension works? Why james in particular? something special about him?

Aug. 20, 2010, 9:12 p.m.

Yeah, I would not bother with a new fork…send this one into suspension worx and let james work his magic…and be totaly happy.

James is a suspension god…and a heckuva nice guy too.
http://www.suspensionwerx.com/

Aug. 20, 2010, 9:38 p.m.

An older Boxxer and tune it.

Aug. 21, 2010, 8:32 a.m.

Yeah, I would not bother with a new fork…send this one into suspension worx and let james work his magic…and be totaly happy.

James is a suspension god…and a heckuva nice guy too.
http://www.suspensionwerx.com/

The website didnt say anything about taking orders shipped to them, and i dont really want to ship something off and not know how much its going to cost for what i want done to it…..

Aug. 21, 2010, 9:38 a.m.

The website didnt say anything about taking orders shipped to them, and i dont really want to ship something off and not know how much its going to cost for what i want done to it…..

Just get it PUSHed to be safe, they are definitely one of the more established mail order factory tuning services out there (not counting Avy/Elka, but I think they mostly tune their own stuff and then ship it to you). It is far and away the best money I've spent on any of my bikes, and I now wouldn't think to get a new bike without making that simple/cheap/incredibly effective upgrade.

Aug. 21, 2010, 3:38 p.m.

Do you know if they ship back to canada if I ship my shock to them? What tune do you recommend? is the factory tune worth the extra $75 over the factory rebuild? is either of those options truly worth the money you spend on them?

Aug. 21, 2010, 7:10 p.m.

meh I dont really fool around with adjustments to much. I'm more of a set it and forget it type of guy. I typically set up a fork/shock once, then after that never really touch it anymore. I never use lock out on any of my bikes either. Who is james at suspension works? Why james in particular? something special about him?

well, you need to figure out what you don't like about your current fork. if it's mainly the chassis stiffness, then no amount of tweaking the domain will improve that.

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 22, 2010, 12:01 p.m.

No I dont have any problems with the Domain at all. Its just that I went from a dart 3 to a domain and havent really ridden anything but those two forks so I was wondering how much better a totem would be and if it was a worthwhile upgrade for me.

Aug. 22, 2010, 9:50 p.m.

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask around to see which shop in your area has a good fork Mech and get your oil changed to + or - weight depending see which oil weight he recommends for you. If you are dropping 3-4 feet you don't need new fork you need more miles on the ones you have. For you to be spending fat loot on sending your forks to timbucktu and back is pointless. Like I said I rocked the domains for two years and I have dropped bigger than 3-4 feet, maybe even more than once.

I'm the best at being modest !

Aug. 22, 2010, 9:54 p.m.

http://www.suspensionwerx.com/Contact_Us.html

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein