RS Monarch or Cane Creek DBInline for Enduro

July 9, 2014, 4:30 p.m.

An industry friend said the Monarch Plus RT3 is the better shock for the E29 than the CCDB (non-inline). He also said the stock Fox Float was better than the Cane Creek on the E29.

Did he say why? My Float RP2 is not a great shock.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 9, 2014, 4:49 p.m.

You try talking to SuspensionWerx? They might be able to rebuild your current shock to better suit your riding, otherwise I know they had a much better deal on the CCDB Air than anywhere else I could find.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

July 9, 2014, 9:39 p.m.

Did he say why? My Float RP2 is not a great shock.

The CCDB doesn't have the initial to mid support apparently. Quite surprised to be honest but he knows his stuff.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

July 10, 2014, 12:15 a.m.

I rode several 26 and 29er Specialized Enduros last year, back to back with the Float and DB Air and DB Air CS.

I have to say, that except for descending, I didn´t love the DBs on the Enduro.
They ramped up at the end, but used the first 50% of stroke really quick.
I am not used to super plush rearends though.

I do feel that the Enduro is rather soft in the first half of it´s travel anyhow. Not bad for a gravity oriented bike, just different to my Stumpjumper EVO.

Probably some picky volume tuning with the provided spacers would result in a great feeling combo though…

July 14, 2014, 4:16 p.m.

Well I pulled the trigger on the monarch from universal cycles.

FYI there is an ebay vendor selling for $50 less that UC matched so if anyone here is thinking of getting one from them, use the price match tool.

July 14, 2014, 11:54 p.m.

Cool,

I´d be very interested in a review!

I´ve spent the last couple of weeks on my bigger bike with a Vivid Air R2C.
But I got my PIKE back from warranty and now am back on my Stumpjumper Evo with Kashima RP23.
And MAN that bike handles so much better. I really love the snappy rear and the light weight.

I grew much more confident riding my bigger bike on the local trails and now jump all the bigger stuff - however I also seem to have the balls back on board the Stumpjumper.

And now the RP23 in the back starts to show it´s limits. If I bottom out after a big jump (landing in the flat :rocker:) it kicks me a bit, almost going over the bars. Slowing the rebound down too much is a compromise though in other riding scenarios…

The Monarch RC3 has the dual flow rebound, only the beginning stroke seems to be adjustable though. Could be good. Could be too fast still…

The CCDB Inline has seperate high and low speed rebound adjustmens, might be what I am looking for?

Although the CC site doesn´t list the shock for the 14 Stumpjumper EVO 26er yet, only the shorter stroke non-EVO-version…

Greetings
Znarf

July 16, 2014, 3:26 p.m.

Not on a Specialized, but I experienced some limitations of the CCDB's Twin Tube design on my Spitfire - I was getting a ton of high speed compression spiking on square edged bumps. I talked to Craig from Avalanche Suspension and he explained that the CCDB's valving results in a series of oil-restricting blowoff valves. It works fine on linear suspension designs, but bikes with funky rates (many dual link bikes, for example) can overwhelm the compression circuit and get a "spiking" feeling.

I found a Fox CTD Factory for $200 and shipped it off to Avy, where he gutted the Boost Valve and replaced all the valving with a new shim-based setup for less than $200 shipped. Shock should be arriving any day, but all reviews that I've seen say that the custom setup is a game changer. I would have sent in a Float X for the rebuild, but it's a damn expensive shock paired with a $300 price tag on the rebuild due to the new adjuster knobs, etc. Hoping that I don't overheat the CTD too easily (Craig said it's unlikely…), but I really enjoyed the conversation around the application of the CCDB for different suspension designs.

July 17, 2014, 8:15 a.m.

The Monarch RC3 has the dual flow rebound, only the beginning stroke seems to be adjustable though. Could be good. Could be too fast still…

Actually the monarch plus has low speed rebound adjustment, with the high-speed bring preset by the tune (DIfferent than beginning/end stroke). The monarch is user-rebuildable [HTML_REMOVED] the shim stack can be altered if you want to fine tune from there.

Super happy with my monarch. No interest in shocks that require tools for basic adjustments, having owned an avalanche previously… great shock otherwise though.

July 17, 2014, 11:04 p.m.

Not on a Specialized, but I experienced some limitations of the CCDB's Twin Tube design on my Spitfire - I was getting a ton of high speed compression spiking on square edged bumps. I talked to Craig from Avalanche Suspension and he explained that the CCDB's valving results in a series of oil-restricting blowoff valves. It works fine on linear suspension designs, but bikes with funky rates (many dual link bikes, for example) can overwhelm the compression circuit and get a "spiking" feeling.

I found a Fox CTD Factory for $200 and shipped it off to Avy, where he gutted the Boost Valve and replaced all the valving with a new shim-based setup for less than $200 shipped. Shock should be arriving any day, but all reviews that I've seen say that the custom setup is a game changer. I would have sent in a Float X for the rebuild, but it's a damn expensive shock paired with a $300 price tag on the rebuild due to the new adjuster knobs, etc. Hoping that I don't overheat the CTD too easily (Craig said it's unlikely…), but I really enjoyed the conversation around the application of the CCDB for different suspension designs.

Hmmm…I have an inline coming in August for my Prime….I guess we'll see how it behaves.

July 18, 2014, 10:14 a.m.

Hmmm…I have an inline coming in August for my Prime….I guess we'll see how it behaves.

I have almost pulled the trigger on the DBInline for my Trance SX a couple of times, but have held out so far. Would like to see/hear more on DBInline but that won't happen until the shock is made available in mid/lat August. I am also looking at the Float X CTD or the Debonair RC3 as both appear to be loads better than the Evolution version of the Float CTD.

Not certain on which way I will go as yet, but want something better as I really don't like the Evo CTD.

July 18, 2014, 10:21 a.m.

I had the impression that the CCDBA could do no wrong. Interesting to hear that this isn't universally the case. I became a Rock Shox convert because of the Pike so I'm totally willing to consider the Monarch. It will be interesting to see how these shocks do.

July 18, 2014, 12:06 p.m.

craw, where do you feel the fox falls short? I would consider this upgrade too. I am smitten with the pike, like almost every one else.Not just for descending, but climbing and steering stiffness as well. If the monarch hangs with it performancewise i can see no better option.

WTF, Over?

July 18, 2014, 1:03 p.m.

craw, where do you feel the fox falls short? I would consider this upgrade too. I am smitten with the pike, like almost every one else.Not just for descending, but climbing and steering stiffness as well. If the monarch hangs with it performancewise i can see no better option.

I'd basically killed the damping circuit. So I've since had it rebuilt and had a Boost Valve added to give some extra mid-stroke support it's been working a lot better. I'm now running a few psi lower and generally it's performing quite well. I do get a few harsh spikes on every ride but I'm not sure it's enough to justify the cost of a new shock. I think I'm going to sit back and wait and see which of these new shocks will prove out. Then I'll roll that new shock cost into a new bike with the desired shock when the time comes.

Aug. 20, 2014, 8:29 a.m.

Well I pulled the trigger on the monarch from universal cycles.

FYI there is an ebay vendor selling for $50 less that UC matched so if anyone here is thinking of getting one from them, use the price match tool.

I have a few rides on my Monarch now and after one or two rides I got a Pike installed as well.
I was on a 34- TALAS/CTD and a Float/BV/CTD. Now on a Monarch Plus Debonair and Pike RCT3.

The biggest improvement is the fork. The Pike has so much more support, better damping, smoother travel and overall better performance than the Fox. Finding a good set up was pretty simple with very little tinkering needed(one token, recommended psi from the chart=20% sag a few clicks of compression and fiddle with rebound). Comfort, bike handling and overall enjoyment has improved with this fork. I have read that some people like to run the fork with fairly fast rebound, I like it slow and am at about 5 clicks back from full slow.

The shock is a definite improvement but I am still tweaking it to get what I want. I have found that I need to run more static sag than the fox (30% vs 35-40%) to get the bump performance and smoothness I want. Even with more static sag I find the shock rides higher in it's travel with less pedal strikes on rocks and such and it still ramps up fairly well. I have not come close to using full travel on the shore, in the bike park I did add a bit more pressure as I seemed to blow through the travel a the same psi.

Aug. 20, 2014, 1:08 p.m.

Hey Craw,

Im curious why you'd want to go with the DB Inline over the DBA?

As far as I've looked into the Inline, it was created for bikes that can't fit a DBA, like a Sight, or for bikes that won't see as much downs.

I'd suggest talking to the good people at Suspension Werx before you shell out the cash.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.