Rocky Mountain Slayer 90 - advice for buying used

July 5, 2012, 11:09 a.m.

Dear NSMB,

a friend of mine is looking to buy an used RM slayer 90 (previous model-i am guessing it's an 2006). Since she is new to mountain biking she asked me to help out and I agreed to go check the bike out with her. Since RMs are quite rare around here and hence I have not seen a lot of them I would very much appreciate some advice on what to look out for (besides the usual things); I understand the frames are very solid, but are there some issues with them, common faults (bearings, certain points of fracture on the frame etc)?

here is a pic form the inter webs for reference:

The bike is well equipped imo:

bars, stem, seat tube and crank: race face deus

rear derailleur: sram x.o blackbox carbon with tune cogs

front derailleur: xtr

sram x.o trigger shifters

Brakes: avid code 5 205/185

Fork: fox talas 32 rl

Shock: fox rp3

Rims: zzyzx centerlock + 6 bolt adaptors

Don't know about the BB, hubs etc yet. The headset is a Chris King, so it can't be bad.

All in all, on paper the bike seems great, especially at 1500 EUR.

I would really appreciate any input on what to look out for, pros and cons, anything.
Thanks!

July 5, 2012, 12:53 p.m.

For someone new to mtn biking, that is quite a bike.

I was putting it into a classification I'd call it a light FR/AM bike.

Do they need that much of a bike if they are just starting out?

July 5, 2012, 1:03 p.m.

well, she is currently a roadie and quite good at it (whatever that means). I have seen her drive and ride the road bike and I think a burlier bike would suit her perfectly. She also prefers to buy something better that would last longer. "Not rich enough to buy cheap stuff" etc.

the alternative would be to buy a new Remedy 7 or 8, which is about 500 EUR more. Any thoughts on this?

July 5, 2012, 3:51 p.m.

If it were me I'd go a new remedy. Not as much bling but no chance of worn out parts denting the pocket. I have heard several female riders say they are happy with the fit of the Remedy too (where heard = read their posts). Actually I haven't seen a bad word spoken about it. (I have heard "looks like a trek" but I figure that's a compliment)

Cheers Ben

July 5, 2012, 7:35 p.m.

The rear triangle. Specifically, the yoke that joins the the "seatstays" to the "chainstays".

You need to clean that up real good and have a close look at it.
Preferably w/magnifying glass.

It might be an idea to have your favorite lbs who deals Rockies call RMB and see if replacement rear units can still be had.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 5, 2012, 8:42 p.m.

For someone new to mtn biking, that is quite a bike.

I was putting it into a classification I'd call it a light FR/AM bike.

Do they need that much of a bike if they are just starting out?

That's a gorgeous ride :damn:

Sure, sure…it's an older model and blah blah blah, but hands down, that's just sweet.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

July 5, 2012, 9:55 p.m.

1500€ for a 6 year old bike mtb is retarded

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 5, 2012, 10:10 p.m.

Agreed, seems like way too much for that bike.

www.FVMBA.com

July 6, 2012, 12:22 a.m.

what price wouldn't be retarded then? maybe the seller is willing to haggle.

thanks all for the advice. all is noted. further suggestions still welcome of course.

July 6, 2012, 12:59 a.m.

i don't know what the used bike market is in europe, but based on the exchange the asking price would have you paying ~$2000 cdn for a 6 year old bike. i'd say half that would be the ballpark: if the bike has been used consistently over the last few years you should be factoring in the cost of lots of small repairs and replacements. even if it's been sitting for a while, things like new fork seals and a brake bleed are probably in your near future

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 6, 2012, 4:16 a.m.

Yeh that is way too much for that bike in Europe. Rocky Mountains tend to have a premium 'bling' factor over here as they are quite rare. Bike is certainly not worth that price.

The rememdy new is worth 500 more than the RM i think, but…Check out the commencals, before buying a remedy: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=66775
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=86039

July 6, 2012, 4:20 a.m.

Not worth it, what country you in?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=66775

July 6, 2012, 10:34 a.m.

like others have said , 1500 EUR is ludicrous money for that that bike.7-800 EUR MAYBE but 1500 ??? No way that bike is worth that much.

Better, nicer, newer bike could easily be found for that kind of money…Beside, 2006 wasnt the best year for the Slayer to say the last.

I would highly recommend going with the Remedy instead . . . no matter what year it is ( pre-2010 was a killer AM bike )

July 6, 2012, 10:51 a.m.

i see. considering the prices of used bikes around here and based on your input this slayer is worth buying for 1100 EUR max. maybe my friend can stretch the budget to buy a new (2012) remedy, or get a used, pre 2010 one, but those are rarely sold around here.

just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the slayer of that vintage? design? craftsmanship?

thanks guys/gals/buster(?)! reps to all.

July 6, 2012, 12:51 p.m.

i see. considering the prices of used bikes around here and based on your input this slayer is worth buying for 1100 EUR max. maybe my friend can stretch the budget to buy a new (2012) remedy, or get a used, pre 2010 one, but those are rarely sold around here.

just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the slayer of that vintage? design? craftsmanship?

thanks guys/gals/buster(?)! reps to all.

Those slayers had a really weird leverage ratio. IIRC it was strongly falling rate, so you would either bottom out, or it would be a harsh ride.