Rocky Mountain Instinct

Jan. 19, 2018, 9:05 a.m.

I got some great feedback in the 'Looking for input' thread. I still haven't pulled the trigger on a new bike yet. I've been analyzing details between bikes. Another bike I'm thinking of throwing into the mix, is the Rocky Mountain Instinct A70, I wish I could afford the BC Edition. Looking at the geo,  it looks like it falls in between the Norco Range and Sight. Head angle is 66° on slack setting, reach and wheelbase closer to the Range. It has 140mm front/rear. 

Anyone have any feedback of the Instinct? How does it descend?  Is the Fox 34 Performance Elite fork, good for everything on the Shore? 

I think I'm going with either the Range 29 or the Instinct. Which would you choose and why?

Thanks, really I'm getting closer, I'll be getting something next week.

Jan. 19, 2018, 12:10 p.m.

Too noodles if you're heavy/hard charger swap for 36 or Pike.

Or just concurrent your cc's and buy the BC ed.

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 19, 2018, 12:13 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 19, 2018, 9:37 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Too noodles if you're heavy/hard charger swap for 36 or Pike.

Or just concurrent your cc's and buy the BC ed.

Why does RM go with the Fox 34 on the Instinct and Pipeline, when similar bikes from other companies use Fox 36 Lyrik/Yaris or Pikes?

The BC Edition is $7500! With no other options, such as aluminum for a cheaper ride! The don't seem to be getting the greatest reviews.

Last edited by: Ouch on Jan. 19, 2018, 9:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 20, 2018, 2:53 a.m.

The other way to look at it is that if you're not heavy or a hard charger, the 34 is sufficiently stiff and a 36 of Lyrik would only add weight. So it depends on your riding style.

Jan. 20, 2018, 1:22 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

The other way to look at it is that if you're not heavy or a hard charger, the 34 is sufficiently stiff and a 36 of Lyrik would only add weight. So it depends on your riding style.

True enough.

Jan. 20, 2018, 11:41 p.m.

So true but everytime guys like you review a bike w/a 34 you say nice bike but could use a 36 so now I psychologically conditioned to have an adverse reaction everytime I see a bike w/a 34.

hashtaghowmanyothers?   (because if I use the number sign it capitalizes and drops the number sign, eh?)

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 20, 2018, 11:44 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 21, 2018, 5:20 a.m.

So true but everytime guys like you review a bike w/a 34 you say nice bike but could use a 36 so now I psychologically conditioned to have an adverse reaction everytime I see a bike w/a 34.

hashtaghowmanyothers? (because if I use the number sign it capitalizes and drops the number sign, eh?)

Good point. I had a discussion with Pete about this a while ago. Most (all?) reviewers are hard chargers and that's good to test stuff to the limit, but how much of it translates to the average rider?

To be clear, I don't review bikes and I'm a pretty average rider myself (not slow, not fast, just average). I have a 34 on a personal bike and although that bike is not used for the hardest rides, I feel that the 34 would be adequate for me in most trail riding scenarios. Best to try and demo different options to see what works for you.

Jan. 21, 2018, 8:42 a.m.

I am 220lb+ rider, average joe rider (riding for almost 20 years) and I find the 34 plenty stiff. I came to it from an old school 36 with a 20mm axle and a straight 1 1/8 steer tube. The 34 is noticeably stiffer due to the tapered headtube. Mine is on a 650B bike but I really don't find myself wishing for a stiffer fork. I am a bigger dude and I like to have fun.

Jan. 21, 2018, 10:20 a.m.

hashtaghowmanyothers? (because if I use the number sign it capitalizes and drops the number sign, eh?)

Good point. I had a discussion with Pete about this a while ago. Most (all?) reviewers are hard chargers and that's good to test stuff to the limit, but how much of it translates to the average rider?

To be clear, I don't review bikes and I'm a pretty average rider myself (not slow, not fast, just average). I have a 34 on a personal bike and although that bike is not used for the hardest rides, I feel that the 34 would be adequate for me in most trail riding scenarios. Best to try and demo different options to see what works for you.

What do you consider 'the hardest rides'? What trails for example?

Thanks

Last edited by: Ouch on Jan. 21, 2018, 10:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 21, 2018, 10:23 a.m.

Posted by: barefootmeshback

I am 220lb+ rider, average joe rider (riding for almost 20 years) and I find the 34 plenty stiff. I came to it from an old school 36 with a 20mm axle and a straight 1 1/8 steer tube. The 34 is noticeably stiffer due to the tapered headtube. Mine is on a 650B bike but I really don't find myself wishing for a stiffer fork. I am a bigger dude and I like to have fun.

Well you have 40+ lbs on me. So sounds like 34's would be fine, for a good portion of the Shore & Squamish?

Jan. 21, 2018, 12:42 p.m.

The Pike is my "red line".

Jan. 21, 2018, 10:11 p.m.

Posted by: Ouch

What do you consider 'the hardest rides'? What trails for example?

Thanks

What I meant is that that bike (the one with a 34) lives in a different location and has never seen Shore / Sea 2 sky trails, although I think it would be totally fine on most of them (the ones I ride anyway). I rode it in some Italian bike parks last summer and never noticed it being flexy.

Jan. 23, 2018, 7:09 a.m.

I think so.

Jan. 23, 2018, 8:30 a.m.

Posted by: Ouch

Thanks, really I'm getting closer, I'll be getting something next week.

If you want something next week, you best check the Instinct is actually available.

I considered an Instinct when I was looking for another bike but Comor (nearest Rocky dealer to me) told me they wouldn't have Instincts available until Spring. 

I can't remember whether that was specifically my size or the model I was interested in or all Instincts..

Jan. 23, 2018, 9:42 a.m.

Another heavy (210lbs) average joe here who doesn't think the current 34 is a wet noodle. My current trail bike has a 2017 Pike, my friend has an identical bike with the current Fox 34 Performance Elite which I've ridden a few times and my old bike had a 180mm Fox 36 VAN RC2 (coil). Wife's bike has a Fox 32 which I have ridden a few times. My old 36 definitely felt a bit stiffer than the Pike/34 but not a world of difference for my riding. I find the Pike and 34 feel roughly in the same ballpark. The 32 is a total noodle and scary to ride on rough terrain for me. Caveat is I am not a hard charger like the guys in the reviews, I ride blacks at a decent pace but on double blacks I am slow.