Rock Shox tuning guide fro Pike RC and Monarch RC3 Debonair

May 2, 2015, 4:47 p.m.

I've been on the website and looked at the user and service manuals, but they do not seem to have recommended settings based on rider weight. Where would I find these (yes I've been googling to no avail)?
Thanks!

May 2, 2015, 8:10 p.m.

I've been on the website and looked at the user and service manuals, but they do not seem to have recommended settings based on rider weight. Where would I find these (yes I've been googling to no avail)?
Thanks!

Here's the Pike
https://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen0000000004392_rev_a_rockshox_oil_air_and_coil_chart_2014_0.pdf

Rear shocks setting are too dependant on leverage ratios and i2i/stroke for Sram to give psi recommendations. Your best bet is to find your bike makers recommended rear sag for that particular bike/

May 3, 2015, 7:51 a.m.

I found the following link helpful for set up on the Pike:
http://jungleracing.com/how-to-setup-rockshox-pike-rc-in-5-steps/

The biggest issue I had was getting the initial air pressure right. The recommended air listed on the fork leg (step 1 in the link) was way off for me. I'm about 215lbs and am only running about 76lbs with a volume spacer in the chamber.

May 3, 2015, 10:10 a.m.

What bike are you on? Giant? If so setup info is nonexistent from them.

I have the same rear shock. I set the rear at the standard 30% on my Trance SX. After a few months of riding it at this setting, I'm thinking I may go with a tad more sag as the rear never bottoms discernibly. Maestro suspension pedals very well too. Although the rear shock doesn't have a very firm pedaling platform like Fox does, so we'll see.

The front fork has pretty good setup info printed on the side of it. I'm thinking of going slightly firmer than suggested on my Pike

Maybe somebody else here with your same bike will share their setup experience.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

May 3, 2015, 6:24 p.m.

^ keep in mind to set rear sag for 2" stroke. exposed shaft length is 2.25" but actual stroke is 2" on trance

May 4, 2015, 9:59 a.m.

I'm on a Reign and basically did the same thing for set up.

May 4, 2015, 10:55 a.m.

Thanks for the responses. I just bought a new Giant Trance SX size large. I'm 185 lbs and all of my riding is North Shore. So if anyone has the settings dialed I would be much appreciated. (oh and i never thought to read the fork leg…)

If anyone has any other ideas on things to improve on the bike I would be interested. In particular I`m thinking of changing the tires (schwalbes came with it) and that some sort of lower guide or bash guard would be a good addition.

May 4, 2015, 9:14 p.m.

I'm on a reign in the same weight range. Add two or three tokens to the Pike. Put four reducer bands in the Monarch. I replaced it with a Fox RP23 but I had a monarch RT that was having issues so I don't know if the Fox is better than a working Monarch Plus. The Schwalbes were pretty shit on my friends Reign, put a 3C Minion on the front and a hard compound High Roller on the back.

May 4, 2015, 9:22 p.m.

I'm 180-185lbs, size large 2014 Trance SX. Upgraded to 160mm Pike RCT3 and Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair.

Pike 75psi, 2 tokens and 3 clicks of LSC
Monarch 230psi and 2 volume spacers

I forget the rebound settings. These numbers give me 30% rear, 25% front sag.

I've switched quite a few parts from stock. Tires are Maxxis HR2 front and DHR2 rear, both EXO, 3C and tubeless. 30t NW ring with BBG bash and 40t Hope rear cog, Zee derailleur and XT brakes (203/180). Chromag bars and 40mm Ranger stem with Squarewave grips. KS Lev Integra 150mm with custom iSpec shifter as lever and Chromag saddle.

May 4, 2015, 9:25 p.m.

Another giant reign owner here. Add 2 air tokens to the pike and drop the air pressure a bit. Still haven't figured out the rear shock, but a bike shop guy told me that I need to replace the shock sleeve on the monarch to a low volume one and or put in some kind of spacers. I gotta look into it more. I was just considering replacing the crappy shock anyways.

May 5, 2015, 1:22 p.m.

I'm 185 on a large SX. When I have time I'll check my settings.

I swapped out the stock bar, but that was just preference. I like the Race Face sweep, so I put on a 6c.

For tires I swapped out sgock for a '15 Nobby Nick SS Trail Star front and a Rocket Ron SS Pace Star rear, mostly because that's what the shop had to trade. Been happy with these tires. I'll put a Rock Razor on when the Ron wears out, or maybe just another Ron.

Blackspire Bruiser is on order for a bash.

Edit:
105psi fork, 210psi shock.
7 clicks out from full slow on rebound. Shock and fork.

Spent a few months trying different things and then a whole day at Whistler fucking with my settings to get these settings.

Put the bruiser on this afternoon. Added 74g, took 5 min. 8mm non-drive side to remove crank, takes serious oomph to loosen bolt. Install Bruiser, use every spacer plus extras if you got 'em. Reinstall crank tighten to 54 Nm.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/