Roadie gear appreciation thread

March 12, 2021, 8:40 p.m.

Whenever I read a review of the MTB jackets on here, I think "sounds OK but it's still not as great as my Castelli I bet." I have 3 different alpha ROS (Rain or Shine) getups. One short sleeve, one long sleeve jersey and their full on jacket. They use different materials on all the different parts depending on how much insulation it needs. Parts that get a lot of wind are built with more insulation whereas areas protected from wind are made for breathability. The fit is funny if you are standing in line for your coffee but perfect if hunched over a set of bars. There is no bunching of material in the front. The back is long enough that it doesn't ride up. The stuff in your three handy back pockets never flies out and they seem to be bottomless at times.

Anyone else on here use roadie gear?

I would love to see a head to head by the editors of NSMB (hint hint). It would be neat to see some crossover between disciplines sometimes.

March 12, 2021, 10 p.m.

7Mesh'es roadie and gravel jackets are like that too.  Great fit when you are in bike position.

I also don't like hoods that can't be rolled up and tucked into the collar, which is where the roadie jackets are better than the jackets featured by NSMB

March 13, 2021, 7:47 a.m.

No I cleaned out my sausage casing gear over the last few years and sold/donated/recycled it as appropriate. While I still had a drop bar road bike I was that weirdo that rode it in plaid shirts and flat pedals with MTB shoes. My go-to MTB riding wind vest was made for trail running and I use it and a bunch of my MTB gear when hiking/skateboarding/etc... So I get the cross-sport-gear pollination, but I don't drink the roadie nectar in particular.

March 13, 2021, 9:04 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

No I cleaned out my sausage casing gear over the last few years and sold/donated/recycled it as appropriate. While I still had a drop bar road bike I was that weirdo that rode it in plaid shirts and flat pedals with MTB shoes. My go-to MTB riding wind vest was made for trail running and I use it and a bunch of my MTB gear when hiking/skateboarding/etc... So I get the cross-sport-gear pollination, but I don't drink the roadie nectar in particular.

It's true about the sausage casing. I order one to two sizes larger than usual as well as the more "relaxed fit" and they are still fairly snug. 

That said, there is nothing more annoying than having material flap away while enjoying a quiet country road on my road bike, so I get why they limit extra material. Also, it motivates me to skip the chip isle.

March 13, 2021, 9:17 a.m.

That Castelli stuff is the shit. Love it. Part of what makes good cycling clothes is how badly they fit while standing bolt upright and how well they fit while riding. Castelli, Assos and 7Mesh to name a few know this. Endura do not.

Bikes with super steep seat tube angles though encourage a very upright and inefficient stance. So if a person prefers that then some road oriented clothes may not be to their liking.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on March 13, 2021, 9:21 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 15, 2021, 1:09 p.m.

I recycle my roadie bib knickers to wear under my MTB shorts in cold weather. Also a Craft road windbreaker without a hood to go over my jersey w/pockets. 

Full disclosure, I am a closet XC geek so sausage gear is a way of life at times.

Last edited by: joseph-crabtree on March 15, 2021, 1:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 16, 2021, 7:11 a.m.

I've got some jackets in multiple warmths from Zinn (for all the taller riders out there needing a jacket option) and they've been awesome. I never use a hood but I do love a tall collar which these provide. They're definitely cut roadie style though (very slim through the arms and shoulders) so if you've been doing your deadlifts and presses through the winter these might be a bit snug through the arms.

March 16, 2021, 7:47 p.m.

I’m only baggy on the outside, underneath its bibs, jersey with pockets, tight socks, hard shoes. 

It’s bikin.  You wear tight pants for Bikin.

This is the way.