Road Bikes.

June 27, 2006, 10:53 a.m.

No one mentioned Campione?

http://www.campionecycles.com/uc.html

June 27, 2006, 11:25 a.m.

For your first road bike be careful not to get to aggressive (areo dynamic position). Unless you're pretty flexible your lower back and neck will not be very happy after a few hours of ridding.

As far as your weight; not to many manufactures have rider weight restrictions and if they do is only on there 'top of the line' ultra light frames.

I agree with everyone about getting fitted, but if you're curious about size and fit take a look at Wrench Science's web site. They have a great fit calculator (http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Secure/Fitting/Height.asp) that will get you pretty damn close to your 'ideal' fit.

June 27, 2006, 1:43 p.m.

ross go for a specialized allez beautiful bieks built well
reasonable prices.

I have an Allez Elite. Fantastic bike. The only thing I've changed has been the wheels (now Kings laced to Mavic OpenPro CD's) and switched to Shimano compact. If you ride lots of hills I'd look into a compact set-up - it provides a much wider range of gears. From a super low 36/23 to a massive 50/11.

Unlike in mountain bikes the MOST important thing is fit! Don't even worry about components or frame material. Just get something that feels right for you, but for sure give the Allez series a spin. Also take a look at Cannondale - they have a few bikes that come standard with compact gearing and ride very well.

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

June 27, 2006, 4:52 p.m.

Just bought the 06 size small Opus Allegro

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

June 27, 2006, 4:55 p.m.

pic's needed.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

June 27, 2006, 4:56 p.m.

Holy that was quick…. Good old Quebec Bicycle right?

Nice enjoy, if you have people to ride with it is fun… you can got very fast… very fast.

Cheers!

www.steedcycles.com

June 27, 2006, 6:09 p.m.

Solid choice…and it has a compact drivetrain.

Only thing I'd change ASAP is the saddle. Go Fizik Arione Ti - lightest, comfortable saddle made.

http://www.fizik.it/catalog.aspx?subid=Arione_Wing_Flex_Black

What you've got on there right now will turn into a brick about 40kms into your first long ride.

~Epictetus

June 27, 2006, 6:40 p.m.

well got a few things planned.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

June 27, 2006, 6:50 p.m.

well got a few things planned.

If you're gonna upgrade wheels DON'T buy prefab's like Ksyriums. They might look purtty, but if you break a spoke 50kms from home you have to walk back. Plus the cost of replacing spokes on that kind of wheel is just stupid and you may have to wait weeks for your shop to get some in.

Instead, get a REPUTABLE shop like La Bicycletta to build you some custom wheels. It's cheeper and will suit you better as a heavier rider. They'll also look waaaay sicker.

Wheels are really the only part of road bike that you can upgrade that make an appreciable difference in the way the bike rides. They're also the only real place where you have to worry about rider weight.

I'm thinking navy CK Classics, laced to black DT RR1.1 rims with white Sapim CX ray spokes. It'll still come in lighter than ANY prefab set you can buy that's rated for your weight.

~Epictetus

June 27, 2006, 8:11 p.m.

Opus makes one of the most comfortable bikes. Nice work!

June 27, 2006, 8:24 p.m.

Well, illomatic has some idea's. I dont agree with any of them thou.

Road bike wheels in general, the Pre fab ones are more than strong/light enough for 80% of most users. Unlike mountain bike wheels Pre fab are generally considered better than one, that can be built by a shop, Ie Mavic Open Pro's are generally used as a winter wheel set.
My advice to you Ross is enjoy your new ride, and upgrade parts when you have at least a couple of hundred kms on it, if not a thousand. (that's 2 rides a week, and a couple of Saturday club rides). Miles add up fast.
A computer with a cadence function on it, would be my first purchase, followed closely by a heart rate monitor.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

June 27, 2006, 10:27 p.m.

anybody know how the flight deck computers work?

brokezors

June 27, 2006, 10:55 p.m.

Well, illomatic has some idea's. I dont agree with any of them thou.

Road bike wheels in general, the Pre fab ones are more than strong/light enough for 80% of most users. Unlike mountain bike wheels Pre fab are generally considered better than one, that can be built by a shop, Ie Mavic Open Pro's are generally used as a winter wheel set.

I agree - the R550's that come stock on his bike will be more than strong enough; however, I'm just passing along some advice from things I've learned the hard way in terms of wheel choice. Ross said he was looking to upgrade - I'm only giving advice on what to do in terms of wheels if that's where he's looking to spend cash.

Hand built wheels are the more economical choice - plain and simple. For instance, $800 got me a set of CK's laced to OP CD's w/ Revolution 14/17's and Salsa Ti skewers, including build. At just a hair over 1400 grams they're lighter than Ksyrium SL's and upwards of $400 cheaper. You do the math. At 32 spokes per wheel if I do break a spoke 50km's out I can still limp home without destroying my rims.

I'm just trying to prevent Ross, who seems to be someone who buys the best at any cost, from wasting more money on hype. Sorry you didn't get the same advice early enough - you should really try a set of nice handbuilts some time.

~Epictetus

June 27, 2006, 10:55 p.m.

I can get COSMOS to Ksy ES cheep and very quick. Aksyums also and Kyr SL's ect any mavic i can get very quicky and build quicky. so i have no worries there. first thing is good pedals mayb Carbon Opus Cranks. but I do like CK hubs. so mayb my whole bike steed can have CK's

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

June 27, 2006, 11 p.m.

I went CK and couldn't be happier.

Don't worry so much about carbon cranks. There are NO performance benefits. I'd concentrate on better wheels, a better saddle and then just pit some miles on it.

Either way congrats - you're gonna be in wicked shape and have a tonne of fun!

~Epictetus