Road bike advice

Aug. 4, 2005, 4:33 p.m.

I'm looking at either the 2005 Allez Elite Double: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9356

or the 2005 Cannondale R700:
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5RR7D.html

I've ridden both but don't really feel confident picking one over the other. The spec of the Specialized is better and an all-around better looking package, but the frame of the Cannondale is much lighter and more lively.

For those of you on the board with some road-riding experience, which should I go for?

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

Aug. 4, 2005, 5:29 p.m.

what are those bikes going for?
What sort of riding are you planning on doing?

iforonewelcome.com

Aug. 4, 2005, 5:34 p.m.

well everytime you ride it you are gona feel the lighter lively bike so why not the cannnodale?

they are both 105 which is kinda a good basic parts spec for a road bike IMO except the rear D on the c-dale is up spec ultegra

I was looking at the 700 with triple chain ring myself but 2 new bikes in 1 seasion was overdoing it

the c-dale is around 1500$ I think,It seems like you pay about 1500$ for a well equiped 105 bike.Also try the trek 1500 its comparable and is …1500$

Aug. 4, 2005, 5:36 p.m.

how much are those im looking at roadbikes too i was thinking of the trek 1200 im looking for somthingaround 1000

brokezors

Aug. 4, 2005, 5:49 p.m.

I've ridden both but don't really feel confident picking one over the other. The spec of the Specialized is better and an all-around better looking package, but the frame of the Cannondale is much lighter and more lively.

If you can detect a difference in the frame and prefer the lighter, livelier fee, then go for that.

However, your absolute first priority on a bike is to get the sizing right. The LBS should at least do a basic fitting with measurements.

IMO, individual components should be your least concern. You can always swap out components but you can't easily swap out a frame.

Getting back to the sizing thing, if your LBS is doing a proper fitting, you should almost expect that the stem will be swapped out for your riding style and body measurements. Honestly, it sounds like you should make the decision with an open-minded, experienced roadie in tow.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 4, 2005, 5:57 p.m.

for $848 you can get a 105 equipped scanttante off supergo.

:werd: :france:

Aug. 4, 2005, 7:40 p.m.

for $848 you can get a 105 equipped scanttante off supergo.

whatever that is … landed in vancover?

how is it gona fit/ride/ect?

also check out the devinci road bikes

Aug. 4, 2005, 7:53 p.m.

whatever that is … landed in vancover?

how is it gona fit/ride/ect?

also check out the devinci road bikes

but look at the price.

:werd: :france:

Aug. 4, 2005, 8:12 p.m.

read sanrensho carefully post ,the part about fit,its very key

I have a 56cm Vitus I got very cheap ,beautiful old bike,love to look at it but I could have really done with a 54cm (I'm 5'8" and shrinking )

pretty much all you got with a road bike is how it feels and they will all feel a little different …IMO ride several and buy the one that moves you

Aug. 4, 2005, 8:16 p.m.

I could say a lot but I won't give you the wet blanket.

Take the time to get your fit figured out and be prepared to by a few more bikes as your body changes and adapts. Trust me, if you get serious you can expect to be riding a longer, lower bike in a couple years.

Grab a look at gvhbikes.com for some really decent deals on nice race grade frames. The Bike Barn in Penticton usual has a few used gems lying around due to the demographic and terrain of the area.

Heh, I've got a 105 equipped 59cm Quattro Assi AluCarbino I'd consider selling if the fit's there for you. Send a PM if you're interested; note I will be off the grid for a week and a bit.

Ride More Bitch Less

Aug. 4, 2005, 10:27 p.m.

Thanks for all the advice - keep it coming!

I guess I forgot some details. I am 5' 7" and will be riding for fitness two or three times a week for a couple hours at a time. I may get competative in the future, but I'm just starting out. I just don't want the bike to limit my progression.

I took the time today to try a number of frame sizes and was fitted for a 52cm in both bikes. Both the Cannondale and the Specialized retail for about $1600. Slightly nicer component spec on the Allez Elite.

Of the two, the Cannondale had the best feel at slow speeds, but is slightly lazier at speed (more stable?) and harsher than the Specialized.

The major problems for me with the 'Dale are that it looks so much cheaper than the Specialized and the shop that sells 'Dales in my area are a bunch of twats whom I don't really want to deal with much.

Thoughts?

~Epictetus

Aug. 4, 2005, 11:41 p.m.

First of all, I don't think you have to worry about the bike limiting your progression. Unless you're a Cat 1/2 racer, there's always more room for your fitness to grow versus fancier/lighter equipment.

I hope the LBS measured out your inner seam length when they put you on a 52 cm frame, because it's an important factor in determining frame size. (Two guys with the same height can have dramatically different inner seam lengths.)

If you have a couple of minutes and a measuring tape, do some measurements and punch them into a fit calculator like the one below. That will give you some things to think about when it comes to sizing.

http://www.zinncycles.com/FitIntro.aspx

Don't buy from a dealer you're not comfortable with. I don't know your mechanical aptitude, but you might be going in to the LBS quite a bit as a beginning road rider. Something to think about.

I know nothing about the geography in your area, but is the gearing going to be low enough? If not, consider asking the LBS to swap for a bigger cassette until you build up your power. A smooth spin is good, mashing is not great for your knees. Low gears are your friend.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 5, 2005, 6:47 a.m.

Another question:

The slope of the TT is different on both bikes. The Cannondale looks like a standard road bike and slopes down towards the headtube, but the Specialized slopes in the opposite way - towards the seatube - like a mountainbike.

What does this difference mean other than increased standover height on the Specialized?

~Epictetus

Aug. 5, 2005, 10:04 a.m.

Of the two, the Cannondale had the best feel at slow speeds, but is slightly lazier at speed (more stable?) and harsher than the Specialized.

After several hours in the saddle, the "lively" feel of the cannondale might not be such a positive thing. I'd prefer the more supple ride of the Specialized for grinding out the miles. After fit, wheels and shifters would be my main concern. Both are quite expensive to replace or upgrade.
I recently got an older Trek 2200, and it is great fun. Now if I could just understand the bizarre roadie fashion sense….

Aug. 5, 2005, 10:28 a.m.

Oh, one other thing. You may want to check out the Rocky Mountain Solo. I was pretty impressed with the handling (way better than the Norco road bike offering, IMO) and I think they knocked the price down recently to make it more competitive.