RM7's - How much play should there be in the rear??

Aug. 4, 2003, 10:19 p.m.

Originally posted by Scarface
Every bike has play….ppl that complain never take care of their bikes thats why theres so much play

Give me a break Cho…That isn't the case at all…. I have a lot of experience with all kinds of fs bikes, and none of them have rear end play….except the RM's.

It has a lot more to do with design than it does maintenance..My point is that you shouldn't have to re and re the rear end of ONE kind of fs bike, when other designs require nothing. It is an obvious weak link in the design with that bike, and I would put money on the RM-X being an attempt to save a suffering design..

I did FAR more maintenance on my RM-6 (even when I ran proto-type bearings before anyone beyond the Fro-Riders did). I have friends riding the new RM's…and they are all the same story. If it was simply "maintenance" like you say, why do, for example, my Team NS, the Giant Teams, the V10's, Bullits, Kona's, Super 8's, etc all have zero play with NO maintenance ? I know why..They use the type of overbuilt cartridge bearing design that the Rocky's are finally switching to.

Aug. 4, 2003, 11:21 p.m.

Every bike has play….ppl that complain never take care of their bikes thats why theres so much play and half the time its their hubs but they are too uninteligent to tighten the cones once in a while..or repack their hubs..and tighten or chekc the tightness of the linkage bolts

Ah haha. Sound like corporate brainwashing to me.

Aug. 5, 2003, 2:13 a.m.

Every bike has play….

My Stiffee FR has zero play. :P

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 5, 2003, 7:57 a.m.

scream has zero play,even the devinci frames have no play

I got a friend whos rocky HT used to bend derailler hangers just landing drops and not hitting anything

IMO rocky should spend some money on design/redesign

they do have a good lineup in the under 1200 categorey …which nobody here rides but its where the $ are for a bike store

Aug. 5, 2003, 10:32 a.m.

A maintained RM has no play either.

Aug. 6, 2003, 12:48 p.m.

I just got off the phone with the tech guys at Rocky - he recommended a new bearing kit, for wait it……$229.95…..wtf!!:eek: …….I can't spend $229.95! What type pf bearings do I need?? I'll do it myself…..

As for the an RMX upgrade for the RM7….nope. Will not happen…..gee thanks, guys!:censored:

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

Aug. 6, 2003, 1:11 p.m.

Originally posted by Mulletron
I did FAR more maintenance on my RM-6 (even when I ran proto-type bearings before anyone beyond the Fro-Riders did). I have friends riding the new RM's…and they are all the same story. If it was simply "maintenance" like you say, why do, for example, my Team NS, the Giant Teams, the V10's, Bullits, Kona's, Super 8's, etc all have zero play with NO maintenance ? I know why..They use the type of overbuilt cartridge bearing design that the Rocky's are finally switching to.

My bullit had tons of play. I guess you just dont ride your bikes enough. I rode my bullit for 4 months striaght and it had so much play, not in the DU but on the main pivot. My friend morgans kona has so much play. Trev's g-spot has so much play in the swingarm .. my friend nick dents Giant Team DH has so much play in the DU .. wait if he maintained the DU it wouldnt have play … ?

Aug. 6, 2003, 2 p.m.

Originally posted by illomatic
**I just got off the phone with the tech guys at Rocky - he recommended a new bearing kit, for wait it……$229.95…..wtf!!:eek: …….I can't spend $229.95! What type pf bearings do I need?? I'll do it myself…..

As for the an RMX upgrade for the RM7….nope. Will not happen…..gee thanks, guys!:censored: **

Try to get the original buyer to get the new stuff for you under his waranty.
btw…incase you missed it….the dogbone bearings are $1 each at a skate shop…3 in the top and 3 in the bottom.

Aug. 6, 2003, 2:06 p.m.

No., I didn't miss it, I just don't know what to ask for…..just ask for some bearings?

~Epictetus

Aug. 6, 2003, 3:09 p.m.

If you take a bearing out it will have a # on the side of it…just take that # and/or the bearing into BC Bearing and they will be able to hook you up with an equivalent replacement…that will probably be stronger than the original…just remember you get what you pay for if they have two different bearings that you could use, the more expensive one will probably be the one to go with…and they should be able to explain that to you there…

For Sale: 2003 Manitou Sherman Breakout 6" - 1.5 w/FSA PIG 1.5 Headset, Med and Firm springs, all in mint condition for 1000$ CDN OBO.

Aug. 6, 2003, 5:46 p.m.

thanks superfreak

~Epictetus

Aug. 6, 2003, 9:49 p.m.

From what I understand….the better, more expensive the skate board bearings is….the longer it lasts at SPINNING. Or the better it spins.
In the RM…the rotation on the bearing is VERY slight….get the $1 each one's…they'll be fine.
The price you got from Rocky is for the MAIN pivot area.
But if you want just the '03 bearings for the dogbone(supposedly longer lasting than the '02 ones…and I heard that direct from a rep)….I can't imagine Rocky wants TOO much for 'em.
Some people also prefer to run the '01 needle bearing style…they will not crush and give up[HTML_REMOVED]down play…BUT, they always have alittle side to side play. I personally prefered changing the ball bearings and having NO play:)

Aug. 7, 2003, 5:56 p.m.

thanks….where did you get the ball bearings and how did you install them?

~Epictetus

Aug. 7, 2003, 7:50 p.m.

It's a standard skate bearing….just walk into a skate shop and ask for wheel bearings….those ones:)…608's I think??
A vise and a socket will do for swapping.