RM7's - How much play should there be in the rear??

Aug. 4, 2003, 5:07 a.m.

go to cove, they know the RM's inside out. they'll set you up with stock bushings, an upgrade, or any new bolts that may be worn.

Aug. 4, 2003, 5:10 a.m.

when you are done it should have zero play.

Aug. 4, 2003, 9:37 a.m.

is its up and down play uor side to side play?

when i had my rocky's i got rid of the sealed cartige berings because they couldnt handle drops, the berings would break, i switched to the old style needle bearing ones put up wiht a little bit of play but were alot stronger.

Aug. 4, 2003, 10 a.m.

rms are pimp man i wana get one

Aug. 4, 2003, 11:45 a.m.

Originally posted by Film
**is its up and down play uor side to side play?

It's up and down play and seems to be coming from the dogbone….I'd like to take it to cove but I live in vic and taking the ferry over is expensive….I'll give Rocky a call and see what they recommend….

Does anyone know if the link upgrades to the RMX will be availible to upgrade the RM7?? I talked to Rocky a couple months back about whther or not they had a 20mm dropout option that could bolt on as a replaceable droput and they said it might become availible in the next few months…..I assume they were reffering to the RMX, but could that mean there will be an RMX hop-up kit for RM7 owners coming…hmmmmmm….I hope so!!:idea:

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

Aug. 4, 2003, 12:07 p.m.

i know for a fact that vanderam is running a 03 rm7 main frame with rmx linkage (i was in his group at the gravity camps and he told me) so that means you should be able ot put rmx linkage on rm7s unless hes done something special

Aug. 4, 2003, 12:11 p.m.

:thepimp: :thepimp: :thepimp: …..next year is gonna be nice:D

~Epictetus

Aug. 4, 2003, 3:04 p.m.

replace the bearings…but get them from bc bearing.,..WAAAAY cheaper than buying the oficiall rocky ones….and they last longer cause theyre made for heavy machinery

Aug. 4, 2003, 3:46 p.m.

Originally posted by Mulletron
**It is a $6000 bike. There should be NO PLAY whatsoever. ANy one who tells you otherwise is wrong. NO other bike that sells for that much has play develop as quickly. There is a reason why the new RM-X has a completely refined linkae pivot system.

They ride very well and feel great. BUT, they fall apart. There is nothing to "maintain" my friend…Bikes in that price range should all have sealed bearings, a NON SERVICEABLE item…it isn't about maintenance, its about making a design that can hold up to our riding here.

If it was strictly a maintenance item,, I highly doubt that RM would have invested the R[HTML_REMOVED]D, time and money into a completely re-vamped design that FINALLY uses sealed oversize cartridge bearings like every other successful $$$ chassis. Don't be upset and defensive about it. You will blow yours and maybe the new one will be available to you as an upgrade. They look killer! **

Every bike has play….ppl that complain never take care of their bikes thats why theres so much play and half the time its their hubs but they are too uninteligent to tighten the cones once in a while..or repack their hubs..and tighten or chekc the tightness of the linkage bolts

Andrew Cho

GT Bikes
http://www.gtbicycles.com

Aug. 4, 2003, 3:48 p.m.

Originally posted by illomatic
**It's up and down play and seems to be coming from the dogbone….I'd like to take it to cove but I live in vic and taking the ferry over is expensive….I'll give Rocky a call and see what they recommend….

Does anyone know if the link upgrades to the RMX will be availible to upgrade the RM7?? I talked to Rocky a couple months back about whther or not they had a 20mm dropout option that could bolt on as a replaceable droput and they said it might become availible in the next few months…..I assume they were reffering to the RMX, but could that mean there will be an RMX hop-up kit for RM7 owners coming…hmmmmmm….I hope so!!:idea: **

oh its the dog bone! you can get a warranty dog bone. they changed something on them or somthin i duno

Andrew Cho

GT Bikes
http://www.gtbicycles.com

Aug. 4, 2003, 5:14 p.m.

Yeah, all the play seems to be coming from the pivot b/w the upper "4 bar link" and the dogbone……Will replacing the dogbone fix the play?

~Epictetus

Aug. 4, 2003, 9:22 p.m.

rockymountain has terrified me with the rm6

and now i think buying a rockymountain oyster would be a better purchase than a rockymountain bike

KERR

oh ya there should be NO play in any bike

When you use a feather - its erotic
but when you use the whole chicken - its kinkey

Aug. 4, 2003, 9:25 p.m.

Originally posted by crazyguy
i know for a fact that vanderam is running a 03 rm7 main frame with rmx linkage (i was in his group at the gravity camps and he told me) so that means you should be able ot put rmx linkage on rm7s unless hes done something special

Yes he has done something special. The swingarm where the dogbone mounts is twice as wide.

Aug. 4, 2003, 9:28 p.m.

Replace the dogbone for sure, check all bearings and make sure they are tight. My 03' RM7 has NO Play at all, best ride I've ever had, and…

i'm heavy

I jump

I do drops

I am generally fairly hard on the bike, but try to be as smooth as possible. Also, imo Rm7's cannot be beat for suspension feel and the little maintenance that is required is quite acceptable due to the amazing feel of the bike…. hence Rocky keeping the thrustlink design and simply changing the linkage design to replace the dogbone with a larger link.

My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch. :scream:

Aug. 4, 2003, 9:29 p.m.

as for the new rmx, the main frame is different. where the dogbone currently is on the Rm7's, the linkage there is almost as wide as the the swingarm itself.

My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch. :scream: