RM7's - How much play should there be in the rear??

Aug. 3, 2003, 9:19 p.m.

I have a '02 RM7 that has hella play….I've heard that for post '01 7's there shouldn't be any play….but here I am. It's always been loose….sorta tough to tell whether I'm just getting increasingly more aware of it or whether it's gotten worse. How much play is too much. The only Rocky delaer in town is telling me there's nothing they can do!! HELP!!:( :scream: :flame:

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

Aug. 3, 2003, 9:24 p.m.

welcome to the rocky world of 4-way travel.i could go on with the puns but that wouldn't be fair.your dealer is giving you the run around. a new bushing/bearing kit should fix the play, but expect to replace it on a more regular basis then alot of suspension designs.good luck.

Aug. 3, 2003, 9:25 p.m.

This bushing kit….it's availible from who, Rocky directly….will it eliminate all play?

~Epictetus

Aug. 3, 2003, 9:28 p.m.

your rocky dealer should be able to get the bushing/bearings for you.if not phone rocky directly.it should make it like new,inless there is other problems????.i'm not rocky expert, but a few friends ride them and the rear pivot is a source of alot of issues.

Aug. 3, 2003, 9:30 p.m.

Yeah, but it came with some play…is that "brand new"…is that the best it will get, or is it possible that I was given crappy bushings in the first place?

~Epictetus

Aug. 3, 2003, 10:07 p.m.

Originally posted by illomatic
Yeah, but it came with some play…is that "brand new"…is that the best it will get, or is it possible that I was given crappy bushings in the first place?

If it came with play there is something wrong with it but i guess its to late for that .. you need a new bearing (or bushing) kit

all you rm7 haters .. shut up and ride

or learn how to maintain the bearings of a bike and you'll have no problems with this fine frame ..

Aug. 3, 2003, 10:09 p.m.

another poor biker becomes victim to the dreaded ThrustLink play…. :lol:

i had play on my stab and i got new bushings..that fixed it up completely.

good luck man:)

Aug. 3, 2003, 11:26 p.m.

Originally posted by bullit_kid

Thanks….now how much does a bearing/bushing kit cost?

~Epictetus

Aug. 3, 2003, 11:47 p.m.

Originally posted by illomatic
Thanks….now how much does a bearing/bushing kit cost?

dont know man, havent had to replace mine :P

Aug. 4, 2003, 12:07 a.m.

There should be NO play!
Where are you? Your local Rocky dealer…by the sounds of it…is 100% inadequate:( …it blows my mind, cuz you're not the first to come on here and say that their Rocky dealer told them there was nothing that could be done about the play…and that's just BS:mad:

Your RM7 has a ride like no other!:D be happy about it:thepimp:
Now…if you're not under warranty…go to any skate shop and get some bearings, cheap ones, like $1 each…you need six to do the upper and lower ends of the dogbone. Rocky does have '03 bearings for this application that are supposed to be better btw….maybe check into it???
As for the main bearing area…..mine were fine and so I never got into it…just contact Rocky directly. You might want to relay to Rocky what your piss-poor experience has been with your local RM dealer btw.

Maintain it…have fun! RM's are awesome bikes:thepimp:

Aug. 4, 2003, 12:11 a.m.

Originally posted by bullit_kid

I KNOW MAN! I CAN'T STAND ALL THE NON EXSISTENT RM BASHING IN THIS THREAD. ARG I'M JUST SO MAD.

Aug. 4, 2003, 12:20 a.m.

you gotta learn to relax phlegm:lol:
The bashing was a lot worse in the past.
At least us RM die hards have educated most so that they'll regulate there bashing to just saying "it needs more maintainence than most" :lol:
:D

Aug. 4, 2003, 1:21 a.m.

It is a $6000 bike. There should be NO PLAY whatsoever. ANy one who tells you otherwise is wrong. NO other bike that sells for that much has play develop as quickly. There is a reason why the new RM-X has a completely refined linkae pivot system.

They ride very well and feel great. BUT, they fall apart. There is nothing to "maintain" my friend…Bikes in that price range should all have sealed bearings, a NON SERVICEABLE item…it isn't about maintenance, its about making a design that can hold up to our riding here.

If it was strictly a maintenance item,, I highly doubt that RM would have invested the R[HTML_REMOVED]D, time and money into a completely re-vamped design that FINALLY uses sealed oversize cartridge bearings like every other successful $$$ chassis. Don't be upset and defensive about it. You will blow yours and maybe the new one will be available to you as an upgrade. They look killer!

Aug. 4, 2003, 1:40 a.m.

I want a RMX

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

Aug. 4, 2003, 1:59 a.m.

"r[HTML_REMOVED]d" also has a lot to do with change and marketing…whether it was needed or not.

Just had to add that Mulletron:)