RM Flatline Pro vs Kona Operator vs Devinci Wilson XP

Aug. 22, 2012, 8:55 p.m.

Newbie DH rider here looking at some of the DH bike sales that have been popping up. Looking for something for riding Whistler bike park. Not at all a lot of DH experience/skills yet, very much a newbie.

Anyways a few deals I've seen lately have been for the Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Kona Operator and Devinci Wilson which are fairly similarly priced. Anyone ridden any of these care to offer some advice or opinions on which might be a better choice for me?

Thanks

Aug. 22, 2012, 9:18 p.m.

have a 2011 operator DH. Rides well, I find it predictable and the 2012s have a slightly shorter rear end which should make it easier to hustle through tight trails. I will say invest in some stick-on rubber tape for the chainstay, the area near the main pivot will get chewed up something fierce if you don't.

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 22, 2012, 10:54 p.m.

Wilsons are made in Canada and have had a number of excellent reviews. I ride one and love it in the bike park, but I do find it a bit sluggish riding tight slow tech on the shore.

The Kona's probably your best bang for your buck, looks like over $600 cheaper than the other 2 and spec'd with the best brakes.

Aug. 23, 2012, 2:13 p.m.

The Kona Operator [HTML_REMOVED] RM Flatline Pro are about the same price ($2300). The Wilson Xp is a bit more $3000. So given those prices. What would you advise?

Aug. 23, 2012, 3:08 p.m.

operator's gonna have better brakes with the code r and more durable wheels; I also prefer a shock with a low-speed compression adjust to help balance the bike in corners. the rocky has some flashier bits like the seat and better tires, but the rims I would worry about in the long run. unless you really like the way the wilson fits/feels or the buy canadian aspect is important to you it's an extra $700 for the same parts.

I say operator.

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 23, 2012, 3:29 p.m.

Id say to start off just go to the shops and take it for a little test ride.
Everyones different so try them all out and see what feel comfortable for you. Even if its just around the parking lot you will know right away if the geometry is something you like or hate.

superheros
I like bikes

Aug. 23, 2012, 3:47 p.m.

be careful with the wilson. they really need to be pushed to get the most out of them. As mentioned they can feel sluggish particulary if you arent railing the fuck out of everything and hitting stuff at speed. I have a buddy who is huge and fast and loves the gnar, he loves the bike. i've had other friends try and just not get it (mainly due to lack of riding ability)

Aug. 23, 2012, 9:51 p.m.

Going to demo a RM Flatline @whistler tomorrow. The Kona sounds like it will be good as well. May have to head down to a Kona dealer [HTML_REMOVED] take it for a quick parking lot spin to see how it feels. Some very good info [HTML_REMOVED] advice from everyone so far. Anyone have a chance to ride a Flatline care to comment? Thanks

Aug. 23, 2012, 10:24 p.m.

The stock Kona comes with awful handlebars so it wont feel good. I have a 2012 and love it. Poppy and predictable, lifetime warranty on the frame, cheap and stiff. I am a fan of all the bikes you listed however.

Aug. 23, 2012, 10:30 p.m.

have a 2011 operator DH. Rides well, I find it predictable and the 2012s have a slightly shorter rear end which should make it easier to hustle through tight trails. I will say invest in some stick-on rubber tape for the chainstay, the area near the main pivot will get chewed up something fierce if you don't.

i have a 2011 operator as well, it's sweet if it's set up right, rode it in the park 70 days so far this year it's held up awesome. Just make sure you try out a couple sizes if you are in the fence, for me I'm on a medium at 5'11, feels a little small coming from a medium specialized but i've gotten used to it

Aug. 23, 2012, 11:11 p.m.

i have a 2011 operator as well, it's sweet if it's set up right

how do you mean set up right?

I'll agree on the sizing, the jump from medium to large is pretty big, I'm the same height but I had a medium stab before. anyway, as always try some stuff out.

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 24, 2012, 2:13 p.m.

I cannot say enough good things about the Kona. Rode one last year, and although i'm on something different now (and love it) i think it is the best bike Kona has made in decades.

Well worth the money, good spec and good ride.

Aug. 24, 2012, 10:03 p.m.

how do you mean set up right?

I'll agree on the sizing, the jump from medium to large is pretty big, I'm the same height but I had a medium stab before. anyway, as always try some stuff out.

Set up as in suspension, cockpit, etc. Same for any bike.

Aug. 25, 2012, 9:32 p.m.

Rented a RM Flatline Park edition [HTML_REMOVED] had chance to ride it for the day @whistler.My 1st ride on a full on DH bike, my everyday bike is Slayer. Not sure on the weight of the bike (shop says its something like 45lbs), it definitely felt very heavy [HTML_REMOVED] tank like. Took a couple of runs to get a good feel for it. It just eats up the chunder [HTML_REMOVED] plows through everything. Handles well for big bike. Tracks like it's on rails around the corners. Didnt do any big jumps but feels like it would land almost anything. I was thinking it would be a great bike if it were a bit lighter [HTML_REMOVED] more nimble. Just wish I could demo the Operator or Wilson or other DH bike to compare.

Aug. 25, 2012, 10:06 p.m.

You can rent them both from garbanzo bike high performance centre in the village. The might even let you switch between the Wilson and operator I'd you ask nice