Rimpact Tyre Inserts - first impressions

Sept. 8, 2020, 8:37 a.m.

Been running increasingly lower tyre pressures for a while (about 22/20 PSI) and just really wanted something to counter the squish of the tyre, so inserts have been on my curious list for a while, but been hanging back. The Tanus inserts looked good and I almost purchased them, but balked at the shipping cost. Then Google fed me a link to the rimpact inserts.  (It's getting creepy how much google knows about us.)

https://www.rimpactmtb.com/product-page/rimpact-pro-original-mix-with-valves

Two sets ordered, 10 days to my doorstep, total cost ~ $214. 

Installation was not quite the "breeze" as they explained, but 90 minutes, one broken Park plastic tyre lever and they were installed on both my bikes  (hardtail Cotic SolarisMax and RocketMax). I'd really like to get the Cushcore Bead dropper, this would make it easier I think, but postage is the same cost at the dropper. Is there a local distributor? 

With the inserts, I found it difficult to judge the tyre pressure by hand, resorted to the digital gauge. Now running 19 rear, 17 front. (hardtail) (Minion rear, Assegai front). The insert certainly takes the chatter out of the feedback, but still a positive feedback from the trail. 

Still need to ride the dual suspension more to get a better sense of the overall effect, but its not quite as marked as on the Hardtail.

Sept. 8, 2020, 9:33 a.m.

I’ll bet one could replicate that Cushcore bead dropper with an old polyethylene cutting board. I may try that for giggles.

I decided that I didn’t get a lot of benefit from the Tannus inserts. My cost on those from Tannus directly was only around $150 though. Just exchange, taxes and shipping for a pair. No duty on most bike stuff as I understand it. But more than those rimpacts.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on Sept. 8, 2020, 9:34 a.m., edited 1 time in total.