Rigid frame MTB options

June 27, 2007, 9:35 a.m.

Since someone's stole my Fisher and I no longer have a bike to commute with, I was thinking of building up a rigid frame MTB, preferrably single speed (single chainring), rear der only, and with 24 or 26" wheels. Can anyone recommend a good frame to start with, either new or old school? How do you go about putting together all the drivetrain bits and stuff if you get just a frame? That being said, if anyone's got an old clunker they no longer need, please let me know… I'm at a real loss without my old Fisher.

Primary rig: Devinci Ollie
AM rig: Norco Fluid LT2
Brodie Miscreant
'08 Buell XB12Ss Lightning

Thanks for letting me know what poo feels like.

June 27, 2007, 9:50 a.m.

if you hit up places like north shore sports swap you could pick up a complete beater …

June 27, 2007, 5:35 p.m.

This was a good suggestion. They've got an Iron Horse chromo bike that I might be interested in. The issue is that I need this for urban assault style riding… cuz I'm totally jumping stairgaps and flying over stupid stuff downtown. I might have to replace the wheelset and probably install some Avid BB7s to keep it safe. What do you think about using a used frame for this kind of stuff? You think I'll kill myself? :damn:

Brodie Miscreant

June 27, 2007, 10:54 p.m.

Try Sports Junkies too. There's a couple of them around, so they might have something that will fit your need.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 28, 2007, 8:59 a.m.

What do people think about the Surly Instigator frame? It looks like it might make for a decent all around/urban assault rig that won't break the bank. Might attract more thievery, though…

Brodie Miscreant

June 28, 2007, 9:26 a.m.

What do people think about the Surly Instigator frame? It looks like it might make for a decent all around/urban assault rig that won't break the bank. Might attract more thievery, though…

They make a really good urban commuter. Super strong frame and nice geo.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

June 28, 2007, 9:35 a.m.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22271

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

June 28, 2007, 5:58 p.m.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22271

I can't belive this bike comes spec'd with an XO rear der.

June 28, 2007, 8:01 p.m.

That thing doesn't look like it would survive a stair drop. That's what I'm really afraid of because that's what I do ALL THE TIME while riding downtown.

There's a guy on Craiglist who's selling a large Zion 29er which is setup exactly the way I would want it, but he's not returning my emails. :mad:
http://vancouver.craigslist.org/bik/362045528.html Anyone know where you can buy a Zion frame around here?

MightyRiders quoted me like $1600 for a decent build up on a Surly Instigator frame… I was like, uh, NO! I don't wanna be crying after it gets stolen again.

Brodie Miscreant

June 28, 2007, 9:10 p.m.

There's a guy on Craiglist who's selling a large Zion 29er which is setup exactly the way I would want it, but he's not returning my emails. :mad:
http://vancouver.craigslist.org/bik/362045528.html

That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks for the link.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 29, 2007, 12:36 a.m.

Easy now! I'm going to check it out tomorrow or Saturday… and I NEED the bike cuz I don't have an urban assault machine anymore… since mine got STOLEN. I've been walking or riding my motorcycle to work. :cry:

Brodie Miscreant

July 2, 2007, 1:15 a.m.

Alright. here's the real deal… pretty sweet machine, but had a few problems with it right off the bat. The cable mounts weren't done up properly and since the regular sleeves weren't fitting properly, I just zip-tied it in key locations. The headset bearings and steerer tube had NO grease on them whatsoever, so I corrected that. The brakes weren't setup properly either, but after taking care of all this, it rolls quite nicely. It's got a 20T cog in the rear, I'm thinking about running an 18 or 16 instead… the cog's too offroadish to be practical downtown.

Brodie Miscreant

July 2, 2007, 2 a.m.

Sweet!

I like the rigid fork.

Put some commuter slicks on that, and it'll scream.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

July 2, 2007, 11:02 a.m.

Well, the nice thing about using knobbies is that they're nice and wide and protect the wheel from impacts caused by stair drops, curb hopping, and simply jumping stuff. Or is there a good commuter tire that would work for that sort of work too? I used to run DMR Moto tires in 26x2.2 and they were pretty good.

Brodie Miscreant

July 2, 2007, 11:08 a.m.

I so want a Bianchi single speed frame in that celeste green colour for xc rides and such

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.