riding with glasses/goggles

June 7, 2020, 1:12 p.m.

I only scratch goggles when wiping mud off, especially muddy bike park laps. Glasses I'm not covering them with mud all that often so they last longer

March 6, 2021, 11:34 a.m.

Reviving this thread since my old glasses are too scratched to be worth using. 

Anyone have any current suggestions of glasses that aren't ultra nerd and won't break the bank? I like some of the stuff like the POC, Smith and 100% but I just can't drop 200 bucks on them lol

March 6, 2021, 9:56 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Anyone have any current suggestions of glasses that aren't ultra nerd and won't break the bank? I like some of the stuff like the POC, Smith and 100% but I just can't drop 200 bucks on them lol

My buddy likes his pit vipers. They have retro charm and are supposedly actually not bad quality. And the colours....

March 7, 2021, 1:30 p.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

I only scratch goggles when wiping mud off, especially muddy bike park laps. Glasses I'm not covering them with mud all that often so they last longer

Rinse before wiping. A good sluice means you're only wiping water.

March 7, 2021, 1:32 p.m.

Still happy with my aliexpress POC fakes. Cheaper than a set of grips, multiple lenses and the optics seem good.

March 7, 2021, 1:41 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Still happy with my aliexpress POC fakes. Cheaper than a set of grips, multiple lenses and the optics seem good.

Any chance you have a link? :D

Edit - I've also heard stories that the poc fakes from Ali are super huge, any input on that? I'm a bit of a skinny guy..

Edit 2 - Fuck it they're 15 bucks, I ordered them lol

Last edited by: thaaad on March 7, 2021, 4:24 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 7, 2021, 2:32 p.m.

https://www.ryderseyewear.com/ca-en/

I have a couple of pairs of clear anti-fog ones. They often go on sale (up to 60% off) so its worth signing up for their newsletter. I think I have a pair of the Caliber in clear that work well.

https://www.ryderseyewear.com/ca-en/caliber-antifog#

The come with all kinds of different lenses and colors, so you can choose whatever you like. I think I got mine for ~$40 for the pair on sale.

March 8, 2021, 12:50 p.m.

Any chance you have a link? :D

Edit - I've also heard stories that the poc fakes from Ali are super huge, any input on that? I'm a bit of a skinny guy..

Edit 2 - Fuck it they're 15 bucks, I ordered them lol

Glad you found some. When I followed my old link it went to some very different looking specs.

March 9, 2021, 12:53 a.m.

Holy! Just checked them...and I guess I just order a few for that price.

March 9, 2021, 11:44 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

I used to work with a guy who lost his eye to a branch during a crash. He always told everyone who would listen to wear eye protection while riding.

My oakley's have a shatter proof lens. Anyone take one of the spare lenses and try to smash it to see if it would be better or worse in a crash? I figure a lens that shatters may be worse than no lens.

March 10, 2021, 4:16 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: Mic

I used to work with a guy who lost his eye to a branch during a crash. He always told everyone who would listen to wear eye protection while riding.

My oakley's have a shatter proof lens. Anyone take one of the spare lenses and try to smash it to see if it would be better or worse in a crash? I figure a lens that shatters may be worse than no lens.

Hmmm...yes, that is a more than great idea - sort of how you forget certain basics because you have not had a decent crash in quite some time. Thanks for reminding me.

March 11, 2021, 12:34 a.m.

Which POC fakes did you get for MTB? I got a set for road (from Amazon of all places) that are great, but don't have a clear lens. Would like some MTB style ones i.e. bigger, sit farther off face and come with a clear lens...

March 11, 2021, 1:27 p.m.

Got  these. Well, similar - Ali does love to change what's at the end of a link. 

Bent the arms near a soldering iron to hook better behind my ears. Will buy again when these die.

March 11, 2021, 11:51 p.m.

Got  these. Well, similar - Ali does love to change what's at the end of a link. 

Bent the arms near a soldering iron to hook better behind my ears. Will buy again when these die.

Ah yeah those are the ones I got from Amazon, but they didn't come with a clear lens... so cheap I'll just grab another for mtb for eye protection.