riding with glasses/goggles

May 23, 2020, 12:45 p.m.

I ride with a pair of clear glasses. I hate it, but I hate dirt in my eyes more.

May 23, 2020, 2:04 p.m.

I always ride with glasses. Depends where you ride I suppose, but I've been stabbed in the glasses hard a few a times. I use the same lightweight style I used to use for running and triathlon, sweat and comfort are not an issue. With the clear lenses I forget they are there.

May 23, 2020, 2:17 p.m.

I sweat a lot when riding so I usually have glasses fog up and/or scratch during inappropriate storage during a ride as well, so I rode with no eye protection for a long time. The dust now forced me to get a pair of basic goggles. Antifog seems to work though, and replacement lenses are available. No fogging up when hanging around my neck on climbs.

May 23, 2020, 2:37 p.m.

I use a lightweight pair of Bliz glasses that I can change the lenses out on. I really decided it was a 'good idea' after a small piece of fast moving mud hit my eye and caused untold pain and loss of depth perception for the ride.  If it's really horrible out then I'll use goggles but I'm still on the hunt for a pair of goggles that don't pinch my nose forcing me to mouth breathe constantly.

I don't put either on for climbing as I create negligible airflow and a lot of heat rendering them useless.

May 23, 2020, 2:42 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

do any of you ride with glasses or goggles routinely?

I had two branches nearly take out my eyes last year and decided I had to get some glasses. Problem is we spend so much time in the forest on Southern Van Isle that I needed very light tint that still worked okay in the sun. Ended up with some Oakely Jawbreakers with photo chromatic lenses. $$$$ but amazing clarity and they get very light in the forest and dark enough out in the sun to be useful. Lost of coverage for dust and branch protection. The only time I don't wear them is night riding. I have two other pairs of Oakleys that are 15 years old so the cost/year is not bad as long as you are the type that frequently loses or damages sunglasses.

May 23, 2020, 3:35 p.m.

Didn't ride with anything for the longest time until the past couple years. I have a pair of Ryder's something or others, very light yellowish tint that's good in dark conditions and helps a little bit in the sun. Bright blue sunny days I'll sometimes wear normal sun glasses though.

Big thing that helps make them not annoying is that I have the Oakley DRT-5 helmet that has little holder clip things. Thought it was a total gimmick at first but use them all the time, climbs if I'm fogging I can put them up one handed while riding and they are held firm and don't fall off (knock on wood).

Used to put glasses in a belt loop of my shorts when I wasn't wearing them, worked okay but not great.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on May 23, 2020, 3:52 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 23, 2020, 4:42 p.m.

Prescription lenses. I use glasses to read and drive now and in low light conditions like today I find myself wishing I had them. They aren’t the kind of glasses I would ride with though. Anyone run prescriptions?

May 23, 2020, 8:10 p.m.

"You got your hair slicked back and those Wayfarers on, baby"

been wearing glasses since age 12 so gotta wear them , contacts don't work & I don't like em

my Rx is such that it won't worked with futuristic wrap around frames

noting fits my face >the ray ban wayfarer which are actualy inexpensive/ good quality/ in style

So I got a bunch in different colors & lenses types

don't bike with goggles but a whole lot of skiing with goggles and fog is a problem

the Smith Turbo fans clear away fog but the wiring to the battery pack always fucks up ... kacked 2 of them & gaveup

under armor has a stretchy head beany that soaks up sweat which evaporates away for the mtn biking app

Last edited by: XXX_er on May 24, 2020, 11:19 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 24, 2020, 2:15 a.m.

Glasses with the half-lid, goggles with the full-face, always. Too many close encounters of the unpleasant kind, and riding without glasses can be damn near impossible on muddy days. Glasses do fog up on days with high humidity, worse when it's humid and cold. So I take them off for climbs. Now in spring, I don't even notice they're there, even when riding for hours. I usually own glasses with changeable lenses. Clear lenses most of the time, tinted for alpine riding or snow&sun, yellow/orange for foggy days, and especially foggy snow days. I've no idea whether more expensive glasses would work better re fogging up, since I keep losing/breaking them and therefore usually go for the cheapest option. Clear lenses on the goggles all the time. A small loop of zip-tie an another zip-tie around your bar makes for an effective glass-holder. Plus, you can see them and remember to put them back on.

May 24, 2020, 8:22 a.m.

Everyone I know fights foggy glasses. I need them to see , but not for riding yet LOL.

May 24, 2020, 12:13 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Prescription lenses. I use glasses to read and drive now and in low light conditions like today I find myself wishing I had them. They aren’t the kind of glasses I would ride with though. Anyone run prescriptions?

I have prescription Adidas riding glasses with a photochromic lens. They are good for road or when it’s dry out but as soon as it’s damp and cool and I’m riding slowly like an off road climb it’s fog city. That’s why contact lenses are great. For most serious sports I wear them. I’ve had a few others too but the big problem with all prescription riding glasses, what do you do when they are too dirty, too fogged or they are fogging because your riding speed doesn’t keep them clear. Non prescription is simple. Take them off and you can still see well.

May 24, 2020, 4:28 p.m.

I always hated riding in glasses. Partially this was because I always chose shit glasses with shit optics. Eyes are delicate things that really deserve to be protected.

So I recently committed and bought a pair of 100% S2s and they're great. Clear and photochromic. When I ride alone they don't fog because I don't stop much (riding with other people however...). Optical quality is outstanding and I'm totally happy to wear them all the time. Feeling really good about this choice.

Last edited by: craw on May 24, 2020, 4:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 24, 2020, 4:54 p.m.

I have yet to find a pair of glasses that don't fog up living here on the wet coast. Was riding up fisherman's this morning at a pretty good clip, my glasses still had to come off because they were fogging. The Shimano ones I have aren't cheap, but I'm apprehensive spending $250+ dollars on a pair of super expensive eyewear if they are going to fog up.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on May 24, 2020, 4:56 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 24, 2020, 9:57 p.m.

I use Ryders (strider frame) with antifog coating - they are the best I've used. having said that, they fog on the climbs during warm/wet weather, but clear up quickly at the top before the down.

May 24, 2020, 9:58 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: JBV

do any of you ride with glasses or goggles routinely?

I had two branches nearly take out my eyes last year and decided I had to get some glasses. Problem is we spend so much time in the forest on Southern Van Isle that I needed very light tint that still worked okay in the sun. Ended up with some Oakely Jawbreakers with photo chromatic lenses. $$$$ but amazing clarity and they get very light in the forest and dark enough out in the sun to be useful. Lost of coverage for dust and branch protection. The only time I don't wear them is night riding. I have two other pairs of Oakleys that are 15 years old so the cost/year is not bad as long as you are the type that frequently loses or damages sunglasses.

THIS

I have the exact same glasses. Always had troubles with fog/sweat, these are the best I've used. I wear a light headband under my helmet and it helps a lot with sweat management. Vikb is right on the money with the photochromic lens. It's almost always just right. The only time I don't use it is night riding.

They look better on vikb than me though :(

The durability is also true. Been using mine every ride for 4 years and both the lens and frame are in excellent shape.

If you  have any reservations about wearing glasses, I used to work with a very competent rider who took a casual spill on a moderate trail, landed the unfortunate way on a branch poking out of a rotten log - long story short, he has a glass eye now. When people used to ask if he recommended eye protection, he used to tap on his eyeball with a spoon while answering in the affirmative.

Last edited by: RAHrider on May 24, 2020, 10:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.