Riding Pants Recommendations

Sept. 23, 2022, 9:45 a.m.

NF....  local and they support trail builders.

Sept. 23, 2022, 10:11 a.m.

though i already have a couple pairs of NF's (DP3 & berzerker), i find even the 3's on the warm / heavy side for shoulder season pedalling, so i picked up a pair of the aforementioned $89 amazon special FORBEMK's on a whim. initial impression - surprisingly good? lighter fabric with strategic perforated and/or stretchy panels make for a relatively cool & quite comfy fit. build quality seems good. more inseam length than the NF's makes for a perfect fit (for my tallish, slim physiology). will see how they hold up, but so far I like em.

Sept. 23, 2022, 10:50 a.m.

Big fan of the NF pants, have the DP3 and wear them when it's below 15C as well as for all shuttle/park riding. Find they protect your skin marginally more than shorts as well in crashes. 

rnayel thanks for the tip on Rapha sale (assume you bought off their website?) I need some roadie stuff and refuse to pay retail, some decent deals on there now.

Sept. 23, 2022, 1:59 p.m.

I like my Endura SingleTrack Trouser II. Fit reasonably well. Keep me reasonably dry in the rain (with Mudhuggers) and fit my knee pads fine. The only issue I have is that the cuffs are pretty narrow, so I can't pull my pads out so I actually have to drop trow to de-knee pad.

Sept. 23, 2022, 2:34 p.m.

Posted by: yardrec

I like my Endura SingleTrack Trouser II. 

+1 - great MTB pants.

Sept. 23, 2022, 4:57 p.m.

If you're tall I recommend the NF. They come in different length inseams. My buddy who is 6'5" got the medium long and says they are the first riding pant he's ever had that fit his waist and cover his ankle.

But as someone mentioned they cost about as much as a kidney so prepare for that.  I think they were like $70 CDN more than my 7Mesh Glidepath pants which are already not inexpensive.

Sept. 25, 2022, 2:50 p.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

I bought some Wrangler "joggers" off of amazon last year that I have seen posted on other forums to see if I liked pants...and yes I am sold once things start getting cold and wet for all the reasons the others stated above. My issue is my long legs and most companies only make short inseams, the wranglers are cheap and come in different lengths and seem to do the job!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07T27KKT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I may give these a go this year:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B096LQ8ZSZ/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A29ONP9FLJ1EJ7&psc=1

I have seen others say they are the same as the commencal pants and a few others

Or...maybe as a gift to myself get some NF's. Sportcheck had the Goretex trailcross shoes on sale a few weeks ago so I picked those up too. The other thing I want to try is the RaceFace Conspiracy jersey and I am set!

I've been meaning to grab a pair of the wranglers (believe I've tried a different model on from them), but hear their durability isn't as great as the nicer stuff. Obviously makes sense for the price they seem great, and I've also seen some recommendations for those amazon pants. They're the same price as the chromag pants and more than the rf ones I was looking at though, and would probably rather support them if possible.
I hear a lot of recommendations for nf, but sadly out of my price range, would consider if I was richer and lived in vancouver haha. Might see if I can on the endura ones or watch out if they have any sales soon.
Also have pretty normal proportions (just a little short), so finding something that fits inseam wise shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited by: NuclearNachos on Sept. 25, 2022, 2:51 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Sept. 26, 2022, 6:47 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Big fan of the NF pants, have the DP3 and wear them when it's below 15C as well as for all shuttle/park riding. Find they protect your skin marginally more than shorts as well in crashes. 

rnayel thanks for the tip on Rapha sale (assume you bought off their website?) I need some roadie stuff and refuse to pay retail, some decent deals on there now.

Rapha is quality kit. I picked up their Bum bag on sale (couldn't justify the price premium for the regularly priced black version) 

4.8⭐️/5 

Knocked off some points as your phone either needs to go in the main tool pocket or the key pocket if it doesn't fit properly in your shorts. Front pocket has a lanyard and waterproof zipper so good for keys/cards that you don't need during a ride. Also a water bottle spout lanyard would've been nice but not needed. 

Have black DP3 and DP4 that was "delivered" today. Their Hemp blend shirts are the hype though. Copped them in every colour

Sept. 26, 2022, 11:17 p.m.

How's the fit on the shirts?

Sept. 26, 2022, 11:43 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

How's the fit on the shirts?

Good. Very appropriate length for shirts. Somehow I'm a large now at 1.75m and 85kg but okay. I don't have the body for the medium shirts. Dope casual shirts to wear where ever one wants (on the trail, in the discotech

If it wasn't so difficult to upload photos on here I'd have many to add for tools, long pantaloons, squish forks, knee pads etc. 🙄

Last edited by: Endur-Bro on Sept. 26, 2022, 11:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 30, 2022, 10:33 a.m.

I do most things without pants.  But seriously when the weather gets crap I wear 3/4 length smartwool tights under my shorts.  They are comfortable in a wide range of temperatures.  Do you guys get sweaty in those pants?  Are there ventilation zippers and/or breathable fabric?

Sept. 30, 2022, 12:09 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

I do most things without pants.  

Sept. 30, 2022, 2:54 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Do you guys get sweaty in those pants?  Are there ventilation zippers and/or breathable fabric?

I don't get sweaty in my MTB pants at least up to ~15 deg C. I have some with vent zippers and some without. I rarely use the zippers. If I was keen to use the zippers frequently I'd switch to shorts.