Riding Pants Recommendations

Sept. 20, 2022, 3:33 p.m.

Looking to finally get bike pants now that it's some colder weather riding, looking for something a little more durable than my hiking pants. Currently looking at Chromag Feints or something from Raceface (Indy? Ruxton?) Would just be for everyday riding so don't know if I need the more dh focused ruxton, don't really know the difference between the models. Have discounts for both of them but the chromag is still 20usd more, any other pants that I should look at?

Sept. 20, 2022, 3:44 p.m.

I own the Ruxton pants and ride in them regularly. They don't feel especially "DH" to me and I use them for long pedally rides. I just tried a pair of the RF Indy pants on. Lighter construction, but the sizing was totally off for me. They were way too small for me despite trying the same size as the Ruxton's and checking the sizing chart.

I liked the Ruxtons enough to buy a 2nd pair.

Sept. 20, 2022, 4:10 p.m.

Got some Ruxtons last november at 50% off, they've been great. Just picked up some rapha pants, they are having an up to 50% off end-of-summer sale. Got the turqoise ones, because they were the most discounted. Fit and finish is tops. They are lighter weight than the Ruxtons. I'm enjoying both.

Sept. 20, 2022, 6:49 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I own the Ruxton pants and ride in them regularly. They don't feel especially "DH" to me and I use them for long pedally rides. I just tried a pair of the RF Indy pants on. Lighter construction, but the sizing was totally off for me. They were way too small for me despite trying the same size as the Ruxton's and checking the sizing chart.

I liked the Ruxtons enough to buy a 2nd pair.

so the ruxtons were normal fit but the indys were weird? And yeah, didn't really know how different dh vs trail pants would be, know for ski clothings there's a large difference between lightweight and more heavyweight/durable stuff with breathability etc. Oh yeah and quick question, how well does the ratchet work/you like it? Haven't had a pair with something like that before

Posted by: rnayel

Got some Ruxtons last november at 50% off, they've been great. Just picked up some rapha pants, they are having an up to 50% off end-of-summer sale. Got the turqoise ones, because they were the most discounted. Fit and finish is tops. They are lighter weight than the Ruxtons. I'm enjoying both.

Any comparison/notes between the pairs or what things you like about them?

Sept. 20, 2022, 7:04 p.m.

Posted by: NuclearNachos

so the ruxtons were normal fit but the indys were weird? And yeah, didn't really know how different dh vs trail pants would be, know for ski clothings there's a large difference between lightweight and more heavyweight/durable stuff with breathability etc. Oh yeah and quick question, how well does the ratchet work/you like it? Haven't had a pair with something like that before

So with the Ruxtons I wore the size I am accustomed to in the RF shorts I own, typical pants I wear and the size chart was accurate. They are roomy enough I could wear them all day for riding with pads or hiking or trail running. 

With the same size of Indy's they were so snug I wouldn't want to wear them for long even without pads. I have skinny legs and no butt so usually pants are roomy on me relative to my waist size. The Indy size chart says they should fit, but they feel a full size too small. If I get a chance I'll try on the next size up of the Indys. The fabric seemed nice and they seemed like they'd be a good option if they fit.

The Ruxton ratchet is fine. I wear them a lot and bought a second pair. That said I prefer a normal zipper and belt loops.

Sept. 20, 2022, 7:23 p.m.

Ride NF is generally considered the benchmark, but cost one fresh kidney.

https://www.ridenf.com/collections/pants

I swear there was a thread on winter pants? Maybe I was high. There's a few other relevant ones though:

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/topic/recommendation-most-breathable-lightweight-mtb-pants-for-summer-132396/

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/topic/gear-that-has-improved-my-riding-this-off-season-132277/

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/topic/winter-riding-gear-40860/

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/topic/pants-131741/

Sept. 21, 2022, 10:13 a.m.

I'd love a pair of nf pants but as you said they are certainly pricey. Looked around for some pant reviews on here but didn't see one or two of those links, will read them later for some info.

Sept. 21, 2022, 8:02 p.m.

so with a set of long shorts and Dakine knee sleeves there is not much of my leg uncovered so I'm wondering what else pants would do for me ?

not much riding up here after november

Sept. 21, 2022, 11:19 p.m.

I’ve found the fit on the NF DP3 a bit tricky. I usually wear a medium, but the medium was quite tight. I ended up sizing up to a large and the legs are a bit baggier than I’d like. The quality is unbeatable, though, and they’re made locally and only marginally more expensive than other options made overseas.

I also have some iXS Trigger pants and the fit is better for me. I’m in the (North American) medium and they fit my bum and thighs with more fitted legs. They’re lighter-weight than the NFs and have held up well so far.

Sept. 22, 2022, 7:52 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

so with a set of long shorts and Dakine knee sleeves there is not much of my leg uncovered so I'm wondering what else pants would do for me ?

not much riding up here after november

I don't wear sleeves while riding and ride in the midwest us where we don't get too much snow until late december/january so have plenty of colder riding. Also wanted to pick up a pair for when it's a little windy/rainy/muddy/whatever. Tomorrow morning is already supposed to be 50f with the evening between 60-50f.

Sept. 22, 2022, 8:02 a.m.

I used to ride with shorts and knee/shin pads on Van Isle through the winter. It was fine. I know ride with pants and knee/shin pads for ~8 months of the year. If temps are below 15 deg C I'm happier in pants.

Pant benefits:

• keep my pads in place while riding and during a crash better than shorts
  • keep me warmer and dryer in rain/snow
  • easier to clean as pads stay clean so I just pull off pants and clean them
  • vent well enough to be comfortable in a wide range of temperatures

I like my MTB pants enough I wear them for hiking or trail running as well. I'm wearing my MTB shorts just for the actual hot months of summer.

Sept. 22, 2022, 12:11 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

If temps are below 15 deg C I'm happier in pants.

That's all that matters, right?

I'm happier in shorts and ride in them all year as long as temps don't drop too far below 0 C and I'm in the woods protected from the windchill.

No right or wrong on this one.

Sept. 23, 2022, 7:28 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

No right or wrong on this one.

Of course. XXX_er just asked what benefits he might see for pants vs. shorts so I provided some personal experiences. I don't care what anyone wears while riding a mountain bicycle in the forest.

Sept. 23, 2022, 9:07 a.m.

7Mesh glide path pants are excellent on all but the hottest and wettest days.  They are even super comfortable to wear in the Bike Park on a 25 Celsius degree day.

The placement of the zip pockets are perfect for a phone, wallet, multitool, whatever.  If you can fit it in the pocket it's not going to bother you while you're riding.  Could be a problem if you crash on it though.

I prefer riding in pants because it helps keep the rest of my gear clean, in addition to my legs.

I also have RaceFace Agent pants (now called Conspiracy I think), which are my rain pants.  They are too hot to ride in except on cool rainy days.

Between my 7Mesh waterproof jacket, RaceFace pants, Goretex 5-10 Trailcross shoes, 100% Hydromatic gloves, and most importantly front & rear Mudhugger fenders, I have no excuse for not riding in the rain/wet.

It's super convenient to only have to strip off the outer layer, throw it in the back of the truck, pull on a dry pair of pants/shorts and my slides for the ride home.  I spend more time loading my bike onto my Northshore rack after a muddy rain ride than I do getting changed/cleaned up to drive home.

Sept. 23, 2022, 9:31 a.m.

I bought some Wrangler "joggers" off of amazon last year that I have seen posted on other forums to see if I liked pants...and yes I am sold once things start getting cold and wet for all the reasons the others stated above. My issue is my long legs and most companies only make short inseams, the wranglers are cheap and come in different lengths and seem to do the job! 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07T27KKT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I may give these a go this year:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B096LQ8ZSZ/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A29ONP9FLJ1EJ7&psc=1

I have seen others say they are the same as the commencal pants and a few others

Or...maybe as a gift to myself get some NF's. Sportcheck had the Goretex trailcross shoes on sale a few weeks ago so I picked those up too. The other thing I want to try is the RaceFace Conspiracy jersey and I am set!