Riding boots

April 19, 2011, 2:09 p.m.

Ok im kind of off the map with this one .But i shop at value village i always find work clothes,riding apperal.So my latest treasure is a pair of Dainese riding boots(29$ retails for 250 $).
They are for street bikes ,but why not they are gore tex,have lots of support,protection at ankle.I do not think you need shin guard.
Only draw back i see is they will get temp hot,And fashonably may not be acceptable,with riding shorts.
About 2 months ago i hit my inside of toe so hard i wish it was fractured but bruised bone.now i have to ride with steeltoed workboots cause the risk of re hitting that foot is pain on 9 out of 10 scale.
Support on the sole is a big issue for myself cause i ride so much,and take good airs frequently so the bottom of my feet hurt mid season.
Plus being unemployed i cannot afford high dollar new shoes so i tryed putting roofing tar to fix 3 of my old shoes that had lifted soles.
Will these work or should i just sell them to someone who is size 10 that is like, the "Goose" from Mad Max?

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

April 19, 2011, 2:38 p.m.

If you ride with them you'll notice that you have basically zero pedal feel and your ankle is immobilized. Pedaling in them might not be much fun either.

www.vitalmtb.com

April 19, 2011, 5:36 p.m.

Dude,do you really care if your fashionably unacceptable:)

April 19, 2011, 6:19 p.m.

Screw fashion. Good idea but I think Tracer is right, not designed for pedaling at all, quite the opposite.
Make a sheet metal exoskeleton for your hurt foot's shoe?

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

April 19, 2011, 8:36 p.m.

I think you're on the right track with the roofing tar

April 19, 2011, 8:47 p.m.

Dude,do you really care if your fashionably unacceptable:)

you must have met before

April 19, 2011, 8:50 p.m.

If it was good enough for Bender, it shoul be good enough for Wheeldrop.

Pastor of Muppets

April 19, 2011, 11:15 p.m.

Dude, I know. I have the same problem so I looked high and low and found a pair of these:

Now I don't get mega toe pain when I slam into roots and stuff.

lol. I'm just yankin yer chain.

April 20, 2011, 9:12 a.m.

Fashion smashion. We already look funny whether we are lycra warriors or big clothes buffoons. I hear you on the toe thing. It's beyond me why off road shoes don't all come with hard plastic toes. And while I am at it, if you are going to make a shoe with a buckle, reverse it like ski mountaineering boots and place the buckle on top of the foot instead of on the side where it hits shit all the time riding or running up something.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

April 20, 2011, 10:14 a.m.

There is some elastic joints prob for clutch movement .
I could see some discomfort when you are pivoting or pulling tricks.
That is not my game I am a Down hiller \Freerider i only pedal in spurts.
I could always take some tin snips and cut the leather uppers.
I talked to a guy in the gym last night and may just sell them for 100
He got excited when i told him they were Dainese.
I am dying to try them out for off road application,but the clunker work boots are working fine.My feet stay dryer with leather,with a boot insert.(Five tens seem to get waterlogged,and the cardboard lower rots out if you do not take insole out )
I do not need to feel the pedals i would prefer that i could not.They are not Moto it is street bike .

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

April 20, 2011, 10:57 a.m.

I think you should keep looking at the thrift store until you score a pair of moto boots. Hang onto the Dainese boots for road bike rides (better aero than moto boots).

Ride in them before you cut them, you'll only have sweaty feet once if you do that but you can't get them shin protection back if you cut them first, plus you'll probably have a hard time keeping them on your feet if you cut them down too low.

April 20, 2011, 11:26 a.m.

I could see riding in a pair of soft street touring boots, but not a pair of true off-road moto boots.

Most soft street boots won't provide the hard toe protection of a off-road moto boot so no real advantage.

I wore my moto boots as a joke when I did CBC on the kids bike. It was doable, but not something you'd want to do every ride…unless you are Bender hucking.

April 20, 2011, 12:55 p.m.

wheeldrop - ever considered clips? Soles are much stiffer

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 20, 2011, 1:17 p.m.

I rode in my sg10 s last year after I blew my Achilles. It wasn't great but not terrible.

April 20, 2011, 4:40 p.m.

I wore my moto boots as a joke when I did CBC on the kids bike. It was doable, but not something you'd want to do every ride…unless you are Bender hucking.

Or Greg Herbold.

Maybe Wheeldrop is planning some extreme alpine riding… what was the name of the site from Europe?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/