Ride Wrap Wash or Brush?

March 10, 2021, 8:30 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

I dont even ride my bike, i just pull it out of the shed every once in a while and pressure wash it out of spite.

Will ride wrap or some other type of clear tape keep the paint from peeling and the bearings from rusting solid?

Is there a product i could find at napa?

if you bought it at costco you you could just drive over with yer truck and take it back

March 10, 2021, 8:30 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Posted by: syncro

being an asshole

i'm not mad either

holy fuck dude it was just a funny moment. seems like a couple other people agreed. don't take it personally.

well ok I'm sorry your an asshole

You're

March 10, 2021, 8:34 p.m.

being an asshole

i'm not mad either

holy fuck dude it was just a funny moment. seems like a couple other people agreed. don't take it personally.

well ok I'm sorry your an asshole

I'm sorry my mom says you have a tiny penis

March 10, 2021, 8:38 p.m.

http://www.laughfactory.com/jokes/yo-momma-jokes

55 your momma  jokes and there are other sites when you finish those

March 11, 2021, 6:47 a.m.

Just letting the bike dry on it's own is the faster way to cause wear and tear. 

That ^^ doesn't make any sense to me. Other than the chain water on the outside of your bike is not going to cause any extra damage drying vs. hitting it with hose and then drying the bike. It's not the water on the surface that is causing issues it's the water that gets pushed past seals because of the hose that's the issue.

March 11, 2021, 11:39 a.m.

I destroyed all my pivot bearing mud riding 2020. Hardtail in 2021 is going to save my squishy bike for the dry times. I don't wrap but I both spray and dry brush based on feelings. I am a terribly un-disciplined human.

March 11, 2021, 11:46 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Just letting the bike dry on it's own is the faster way to cause wear and tear. 

That ^^ doesn't make any sense to me. Other than the chain water on the outside of your bike is not going to cause any extra damage drying vs. hitting it with hose and then drying the bike. It's not the water on the surface that is causing issues it's the water that gets pushed past seals because of the hose that's the issue.

I hear ya, that’s why I say gentle stream. Think like pouring out a glass of water. It’s definitely not turn the pressure on full blast. It’s really no different than say riding through a puddle and having water splash on your bike. For around the forks I’ll stand the bike up on it’s back wheel so the water is running over top of the seals and not into them. 

This allows the fine dirt to flow off the bike. Over time all that fine dirt  builds up and get trapped in lube and builds a paste that grinds away at the surfaces it sits on. The key thing is not having the hose on full blast and spraying it directly at sealed components. That will definitely create more problems. 

As I keep my bikes inside my home the rinse is also about not tracking mud inside. IME a gentle stream of water won’t cause any extra wear compared to riding in rain, and that letting mud dry on the bike is the worse option.

March 11, 2021, 1:55 p.m.

Hosing the main frame and wheels after a real muddy ride keeps everyone in my home happy and my car cleaner! I mostly clean the tires and pedals to get most of the dirt off between putting it my car. I think that a hose or any not-too-harsh water source is also good for getting the dirt out of places where fine dirt can get trapped or accumulated and do damage if left there. Obviously, spraying it straight on the bearings or seals isn't the best idea to achieve this but if done cautiously it can be better than leaving the bike dirty. I thoroughly dry the bike when getting home and clean around the pivots with a rag so dirt/water doesn't stay or get in there.

It seems to work well for me as when rebuilding my bike this winter, I didn't find any dirt inside the bearings and everything was rust/corrosion-free. Buying well-sealed parts and making sure that bearings are well packed is a prerequisite for those who clean their bikes often though. I probably washed my bike like 5-6 times last season but last summer was really dry around here.

Meanwhile I can hear the dirt grind between surfaces on my friend's never-washed bike and it doesn't seem to bother any of us haha! It makes me happy to start a ride with a clean bike and I am always tinkering on my bike in my free time so I prefer to wrench on it when it's clean. But I totally understand and respect why other people find this absolutely futile.

To each their own really!

Last edited by: martin on March 11, 2021, 2:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 15, 2021, 10:01 p.m.

No wrap but a few bits of 3M tape anywhere cables touch frame or I have straps for CO2 cartridges etc.

Wash after every dusty or wet ride; if there is dirt/sand/grit on the drivetrain I wash it off with a hose + bucket and re-lube as required. Keep bikes for 5-7 years, ride 5-6 days per week, and have never yet had to replace a bottom bracket, headset or suspension bearing as I make sure they are always clean and then serviced regularly. 

Re-sale value is always “bugger all” by the time I come to sell a bike, compared to what $$ have gone into it. So if I am going to part with cash I just spend it on parts that I am going to enjoy using rather than worrying about frame wraps and cosmetic blemishes.

March 16, 2021, 10:03 a.m.

I had my last mountain bike Ride Wrapped.

As someone up there mentioned, some edges have started to lift, it's got a few rips/scratches from crashes and rock impacts, it's got a bad rip on the head tube from putting it on a NS Rack, and another one from a supposed "no touch" rack where the adjacent bikes brake lever scratched the other side of the headtube.

The bikes about 18 months old and looks a mess. I'm hoping that the wrap has actually worked though, and I'll remove it prior to selling the bike and it should be pristine 🤞😁

Not sure I'd bother getting another bike ride wrapped but I've used the Lordco 3M tape in the past and would (probably) just use that again.

Oh, and I usually give both my mountain and road bikes a quick hose down after every muddy ride. Takes about 60 seconds! Then quickly dry it off with an old tee-shirt and wipe the drive train over with a shop towel.

Makes it a lot more pleasant to handle if I need to do some work or even just handle from locker to car.

(I generally just hose off the road bike in winter as road grime is much harder to remove that dirt, and I'm not sure what long term damage road salt does to carbon or Di2)

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on March 16, 2021, 10:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 16, 2021, 1:45 p.m.

I do not recommend Ride Wrap, at least for a fork.

I have cut up many rolls of 3M tape for my frames in the past with good results. I spent close to an hour trying to get one lower leg piece to fit properly. With so many ridges around the arch and dropouts, the curvature of the leg matched with the seemingly intensely precise cut-out I found it impossible to install. The sheet finally became unusable and I threw that thing in the garbage.

If any one wants the rest of my kit for like $40 let me know so I can buy another roll of 3M tape.

2019-present 27.5 Z1 ( missing one leg )

April 17, 2021, 10:02 a.m.

i didn't do the fox 36 it looked like too many corners and i think the fork is a Matte finish while the film is shinny ?

But i did put some on most of solid fork on the FAT bike , not everywhere just where its most liable to take a hit  

I used a 25% solution of alcohol in water in  a spray bottle and IME the film curves and bends a little better

Last edited by: XXX_er on April 17, 2021, 10:05 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 18, 2021, 9:31 p.m.

so i was swapping tires/putting the roof racks back on my truck for the season and it reminded me that a great app for the protective film is to put it on the roof to protect the paint of the vehical where ever you will be putting the roof rack pads of your thule or Yakima rack.

I put the film on my roof about a year ago as an extra layer of protection for the paint

April 19, 2021, 11:16 a.m.

i didn't do the fox 36 it looked like too many corners and i think the fork is a Matte finish while the film is shinny ?

But i did put some on most of solid fork on the FAT bike , not everywhere just where its most liable to take a hit  

I used a 25% solution of alcohol in water in  a spray bottle and IME the film curves and bends a little better

The RideWrap kits come in matte or gloss, your choice.

April 19, 2021, 11:27 a.m.

I think I heard that ^^ but what what if the fork is matte and the bike is gloss,

does what they sell you differentiate by model or how does that work ?