Ride Wrap Installation

Sept. 1, 2020, 1:03 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

Posted by: Endur-Bro

I’m going to put some DYED Bro on my future frame.

I did this on my cross bike. Looks awesome and is super tough but the coverage is very limited.

Sweet. It’ll go on a metal frame. More for steeze and the lulz. I hack jobbed 3M tape onto my Chromag almost a decade ago and the amount of protection that has offered the paint has been good.

Sept. 1, 2020, 1:35 p.m.

I put the 4" wide 3M from Lordco on a yeti 5.5 so fat tubes with a lot of curves, it all went on the main triangle pretty well with just the soapy water, I used the 25% alcohol/water on the swingarm where I had more problems but that was only on the very bottom which doesn't show anyhow. 4" wide doesnt cover the whole tube but it covers most of the tube that is liable to take a scratch so top & sides of top tube, bottom and sides of down tube, 3 yrs later it looks pretty good ... defintley worth the 23$

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 1, 2020, 1:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 2, 2020, 7:43 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

I’m going to put some DYED Bro on my future frame.

I did this on my cross bike. Looks awesome and is super tough but the coverage is very limited.

Sweet. It’ll go on a metal frame. More for steeze and the lulz. I hack jobbed 3M tape onto my Chromag almost a decade ago and the amount of protection that has offered the paint has been good.

Here is the best picture I could find of the wrap.

Sept. 9, 2020, 8:26 p.m.

If one were to put custom down tube decals on do they go under or over the wrap? 

Cam’s article says under looks good but with some bubbles around the edges. 

What say ye?!

Sept. 10, 2020, 7 a.m.

Posted by: Poz

If one were to put custom down tube decals on do they go under or over the wrap?

Cam’s article says under looks good but with some bubbles around the edges.

What say ye?!

I would put them over. I put them under and they leave a liny air gap line around the decal. I did that with the custom purple decals on my optic. Dirt got in some spots as well.

Last edited by: heathen on Sept. 10, 2020, 7:08 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 10, 2020, 9:43 a.m.

Thanks!

Dirt got in the air lines? That would suck.

Getting this professionally done next week. They’ll do the decals too as I always mess these things up and am neurotic.

Last edited by: Poz on Sept. 10, 2020, 9:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 10, 2020, 2:11 p.m.

I installed the generic WW kit on my Fugitive. It was far easier than expected, a 2-beer job at most and it looks great. I would never consider paying someone to do it for me, but that's just me.

Sept. 10, 2020, 2:12 p.m.

I put some small decals under the WW and they look great.

Sept. 10, 2020, 2:37 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

I installed the generic WW kit on my Fugitive. It was far easier than expected, a 2-beer job at most and it looks great. I would never consider paying someone to do it for me, but that's just me.

I’ve done a self kit in the past and it worked ok. Right now I’m so busy with work, my kids, and finishing a masters I don’t think I can emotionally sit still long enough to not mess it up.

Sept. 12, 2020, 9:10 a.m.

So, did the install myself. In hindsight, I do kinda wish I had the pros do it. I got the job done - took a few slightly stressful hours. I felt like I was being super careful, but still ended up with tiny bubbles of solution under the wrap. If this stuff is like the 3M tape, I think these bubbles tend to disappear over time(?) You get better at it as you go through the job - becoming quite proficient just as you're installing the last piece, haha! One thing that is not overly obvious is how to tell when the install solution is the proper mix strength. The instructions include mix amounts (4 drops of concentrate to 1 litre water), but the concentrate doesn't really come out in neat "drops", so there was a bit of guessing and I did adjust it a bit after a couple pieces. Still not sure if I had the mixture quite right. I found that you really have to be patient with the larger pieces - place them with lots of solution, slide them around, and then slowly and gradually squeegee them into place, making sure not to miss any air or solution bubbles. I am curious how the job would go if you used alcohol solution (as per 3M tape instructions) as opposed to the Ride Wrap solution (which I believe is similar to baby shampoo). But I'm sure the Ride Wrap folks have their reasons for the solution.

Some thoughts:

-You really need a very BRIGHT working area to see the bubbles you're trying to squeegee out. But apparently direct sunlight is a big no-no during installation.
-The instructions "suggest" using a bike stand if possible. I wouldn't dare try doing this without a bike stand. It would be almost impossible to do a decent job.

My frame has a lot of weird surfaces, so other frames might be a bit easier. But yeah, If I were to do this over again - I'd probably have the pros do it.

Sept. 12, 2020, 9:34 a.m.

With 3m film I pricked the bubbles with a  pin and squeezed out the air or excess water, the Yeti 5.5 has some  pretty curvy bits, so I used soap solution for the easy stuff like the top & down tubes and  the 25% alcohol & water for the really  curvy stuff on the swing arm, I assume the alcohol softens the film to make it conform more easily to wierd surfaces? Other than the  part  at the bottom of swingarm which doesnt show unless you turn the bike over, the 3M looks fine

Sept. 28, 2020, 5:05 p.m.

I just picked up my frame from a ride wrap certified shop local to me. It is a beautiful install and something I never could have done myself without countless hours and cursing. They even put on my custom decals for no extra. 

Super pleased.