Replacing bearings on SRAM MTH746 rear hub

June 1, 2022, 1:20 p.m.

Hello always knowledgeable NSMB brethren, was wanting to tap into your expertise. 

I have a SRAM MTH746 rear hub on my bike and the bearings are shot. I’d love to try to tackle this myself, but I can’t seem to find a service manual. Any know what if there are proprietary tools that I need or can point me to a source? Is there a good place (ideally locally) where I can source the bearings? Any other tips and tricks? Thanks again!

June 1, 2022, 1:55 p.m.

I'm not a good mechanic, MTB or otherwise and I've changed my hub bearings twice in a decade. Hopefully someone competent posts below this.

But aren't those just standard 6903 bearings? I have something like this cheap hub press kit, surprisingly not awful quality:

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Bearing-Installation-Assembly-Tool-25pcs/dp/B09GKG2F88/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=3OWYNOK4JP8KP&keywords=bicycle+hub+bearing+press&qid=1654116076&sprefix=bicycle+hub%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTkRKTlRHM0RKS1ZPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzExMzQ2MVkzNkhKS0ZFRlpWVyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjIxNjkxMkdVRjJERUE4WUpSWiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

-------------

Now if I could only find the weird MRF3041/44LLB  bearing that fits my worn Praxis PF30 BB...

June 3, 2022, 1:07 p.m.

https://cycling.endurobearings.com/products/mrf3041-44llb

Out of stock right now, but looks like they actually have them on their list of orderable bearings.

June 3, 2022, 4:19 p.m.

Legend.

Praxis has them in stock direct, have a feeling their quality might not be terrific...maybe I'll just throw some in as a placeholder.

-------------

@Spandies 

Enduro probably has stock on the hub bearings you need. Verify your bearing numbers first. 

While you're in there could try just popping the seals and cleaning and repack with fresh grease. Dental tool, pry from inside edge of seal. 

Most of the time this is good enough for my bearings. And if I do have to pull out a frame, hub, or bottom bracket bearing I just replace the worn one.

https://cycling.endurobearings.com/products/6903llb

June 3, 2022, 5:52 p.m.

Thank you so much for all the great advice. This is why I love forums. 

Another stupid question. Old me used to use a 2x4 and a mallet to carefully set them in; I was young and had no money. Would this be ill advised with today’s tight tolerances? 

Thanks again!

June 3, 2022, 6:43 p.m.

Posted by: Spandies

Another stupid question. Old me used to use a 2x4 and a mallet to carefully set them in; I was young and had no money. Would this be ill advised with today’s tight tolerances?

Thanks again!

Id advise against the brute force method, but you can make your own bearing press with some threaded rod, nuts, washers and a set of sockets.

Last edited by: shoreboy on June 3, 2022, 6:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 3, 2022, 7:38 p.m.

Posted by: Spandies

Thanks again!

So easy to get a little crooked. I've done it with hubs and got away with it, barely. Took forever to do a worse job though.

Kit in link above is only like $50. /\ I'm sure there's others too. Or could just do like Shoreboy says, works fine.

Back in the day hammered BB and even frame bearings too, don't know what I was thinking. I would never risk replacing a frame now.

Last edited by: Hepcat on June 3, 2022, 7:52 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 4, 2022, 7:41 a.m.

I'll let you figure out how to do it.....but my one comment is that the drive side locknut is reverse thread. It's normally highlighted but not everyone looks.... And when you re-install it I would use threadlock as they have a habit of working loose.

Bike shops sell bearings. They may not be SKF, FAG, NSK etc or $1 for a 'mystery mix' bearing from Ali-Express, but you can be in and out of the store in 5 minutes rather than waiting around for an on-line order.

June 4, 2022, 9:37 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

I'll let you figure out how to do it.....but my one comment is that the drive side locknut is reverse thread. It's normally highlighted but not everyone looks.... And when you re-install it I would use threadlock as they have a habit of working loose.

Bike shops sell bearings. They may not be SKF, FAG, NSK etc or $1 for a 'mystery mix' bearing from Ali-Express, but you can be in and out of the store in 5 minutes rather than waiting around for an on-line order.

I've seen on other forums, Enduro bearings getting bad reviews and many suggest SKF, FAG, NSK..etc. I know I get about 6 month to 1 year out of the Enduro max bearings, North Shore climate isn't easy on them. Do the other brand last longer? Best place to buy other bearings (listed above).

Last edited by: Ouch on June 4, 2022, 9:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.