Replace your pedals

Sept. 19, 2015, 10:35 p.m.

ouch that looks rather unpleasant. i've gone to flats after riding clips for most my riding experience of about 8 yrs. mostly i like it now but it was a struggle and i worry about shit like this happening as i still don't have perfect foot control when things get fast and hairy. i gather it develops with time and practice? when i see what is done by guys on flats i think it must be a skill that comes in time. i hope…

Keep your weight on the balls of your feet but more mid-foot and keep your heals down. Keeping your heals down will allow you to stay more connected to the pedal as your ankle can flex and allow you to almost have a bit of suspension on the pedal. Riding clipped in, you tend to get on your toes and this will not give you the control you need.

Sept. 20, 2015, 6:37 a.m.

Keep your weight on the balls of your feet but more mid-foot and keep your heals down. Keeping your heals down will allow you to stay more connected to the pedal as your ankle can flex and allow you to almost have a bit of suspension on the pedal. Riding clipped in, you tend to get on your toes and this will not give you the control you need.

Yep, you nailed it. That`s exactly what happened to me.. funny thing is I ride flats on my DH bike but only get out a few times a year on the big rig. Definitely need to keep heels down as you stated.

Sept. 20, 2015, 11:08 a.m.

definitely working on that and getting better; ie. becoming more automatic, thinking about it less. (but still have to think about it especially when i'm tired). not only does it lead to better control, it leads to less broken toes which i've also had since i've gone to flats. keep those fucking heels down i tells myself!!!!

Sept. 20, 2015, 12:27 p.m.

Riding clipped in, you tend to get on your toes and this will not give you the control you need.

If this is happening to someone they either have their cleats set up incorrectly or they're riding like a bit of a goon.

Sept. 20, 2015, 1:47 p.m.

If this is happening to someone they either have their cleats set up incorrectly or they're riding like a bit of a goon.

Usually the cleat is biased forward compared to your foot position on flats, even with the cleat set all the way back. This leads to the weight biased towards the toes.

Try manualling with your weight biased to your toes vs heals. That is what I mean.

Sept. 20, 2015, 2:55 p.m.

That's all true. I just imagined someone ballerina-ing their feet on their pedals ha ha

Sept. 20, 2015, 7:48 p.m.

its time to come over to the darkside and get a moto! Much safer than those pedally bikes!

Sept. 21, 2015, 1:42 a.m.

I think I really need to replace my SPDs…..been running them for what seems like ages. Guess I should get some DH spds and get rid of my recycled milk-crate cage spds I bought about ten years ago, even longer? Cant remember….

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 23, 2015, 10:56 p.m.

I think I really need to replace my SPDs…..been running them for what seems like ages. Guess I should get some DH spds and get rid of my recycled milk-crate cage spds I bought about ten years ago, even longer? Cant remember….

If they are Shimano you are likely good to go.

Sept. 23, 2015, 11:25 p.m.

I been runnin' the same 747 spuds since the year they were released.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 24, 2015, 8:14 a.m.

FWIW, Chromag is no better than the Shimano, HT or any other brand out there just because they're $150 pedals. You all just want to pay more to have Chromag kit on your bike.

I'm pretty sure this is just an isolated failure where you got a lemon pedal. Sorry to hear about your crash.

Let's not make this a "Chromag is shit" thread. I own some of their stuff and it's been great. I've used Raceface stuff too and it works etc……….

Shed head!

Sept. 24, 2015, 9:15 a.m.

ouch that looks rather unpleasant. i've gone to flats after riding clips for most my riding experience of about 8 yrs. mostly i like it now but it was a struggle and i worry about shit like this happening as i still don't have perfect foot control when things get fast and hairy. i gather it develops with time and practice? when i see what is done by guys on flats i think it must be a skill that comes in time. i hope…

That's funny, I see it the other way around. I think riding clipless through shore tech takes more skill and definitely way more commitment.

Started on pedals with no cleats, cheap crap pedals (not like the good flats we have today), and old runners, resulting in many pedal to shin slams.

Went to clipless VP, Shimano, Victor, all those clipless pedals with large platforms with sharp teeth. Never felt comfortable on them. Went back to flats.

By then flats were good and finally started buying proper shoes for biking, not just some worn out runners I didn't care if they got dirty.

I can't recall the last time I slipped a pedal (knocks on wood) hitting fast rocky crap. I have the very odd pedal slip in climbing tech, usually occurs as a result of being overly tired.

Just for kicks I took my XT trail pedals off my commuter bike and tried them on a few rides on my trail bike on the shore. Way too nervous worrying about being able to unclip if required. I guess it is what you get used to. Ride what works for you.

Sept. 24, 2015, 9:41 a.m.

FWIW, Chromag is no better than the Shimano, HT or any other brand out there just because they're $150 pedals. You all just want to pay more to have Chromag kit on your bike.

I'm pretty sure this is just an isolated failure where you got a lemon pedal. Sorry to hear about your crash.

Let's not make this a "Chromag is shit" thread. I own some of their stuff and it's been great. I've used Raceface stuff too and it works etc……….

I never made this a "Chromag is shit" thread.

I have more than a little of their stuff. Two bikes, five saddles, three stems, bar, 2 (was 3) sets of Scarab pedals, etc….

Sept. 24, 2015, 10:03 a.m.

I have tons chromag stuff too. Don't have a hat yet though.
:idea:

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 24, 2015, 10:31 a.m.

I've gotta say my $30 shimano Deore spd's are pretty awesome considering the whole kit cost the same as one set of short-lived Time cleats.