Repainting a frame?

March 1, 2022, 11:04 a.m.

Has anyone repainted a frame? I've watched a couple YouTube videos, looks like it's best to get it sandblasted before repainting. If anybody has repainted an aluminum frame, how was the process? What spray paint is the best, that available in North Van? Any tips? Anyone local that does painting/powder coating, that's reasonable priced?

March 1, 2022, 11:56 a.m.

https://www.toxikdesignlab.com/

March 1, 2022, 12:12 p.m.

https://spraybike.us/

Literally what this product is for. And their Instagram is awesome. I'm actually a bit jealous, I would love to spraybike something. Please post a pic of how it turns out. 

I don't know if you have to sandblast. I wonder if you could just sand it so I is smooth and the paint adheres. They probably have a faq on their website.

March 1, 2022, 1:01 p.m.

I've powder coated 3 frames. I was in Victoria at the time so not much use to you, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a vendor in your area. The frames were sand blasted prior to refinishing them. Note that you want to put something in all the threaded areas as well as the head tube or you'll have to clean them out afterwards. The lowest price will be using a common colour and having your frame batched in with a larger job the vendor is doing.

Last edited by: Vikb on March 1, 2022, 1:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 1, 2022, 1:05 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Literally what this product is for. And their Instagram is awesome. I'm actually a bit jealous, I would love to spraybike something. Please post a pic of how it turns out.

I don't know if you have to sandblast. I wonder if you could just sand it so I is smooth and the paint adheres. They probably have a faq on their website.

How is this different then getting a rattle can from Canadian Tire or automotive painter and doing your bike? Im not clear on what separates them from what is already offered, apart from a bunch of fancy marketing. It also doesn't appear to be available in Canada.

Last edited by: shoreboy on March 1, 2022, 1:08 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 1, 2022, 4:37 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: RAHrider

How is this different then getting a rattle can from Canadian Tire or automotive painter and doing your bike? Im not clear on what separates them from what is already offered, apart from a bunch of fancy marketing. It also doesn't appear to be available in Canada.

I cannot answer your questions. I'm neither a paint expert nor a spokesperson for the company. I thought it might be a good reference for him as they are selling exactly what he is looking for (bike paint in a spray can). I did take the time to look through the faq and they do answer his question with regards to stripping the original paint.

As for their product, I heard that it doesn't come off as easily as regular spray paint but of course I cannot speak to the validity of this claim.

March 1, 2022, 7:21 p.m.

powder coating caked into the threads you forgot to cover looks not so fun\

unless the frame was REALLY bad I don't think i would bother painting a frame

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 1, 2022, 7:24 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 1, 2022, 8:35 p.m.

I've had a couple of frames powdercoated. The finish is pretty bombproof but it does cost a few bucks ($300 for the last one I had done) 

I've used 2 different painters. Both were familiar with bike frames and masked everything off that needed to be. I had no issues.

March 2, 2022, 8:09 a.m.

Thanks for the links!

After more research and looking at the frame again, I've decided not to paint it. Plan B, I'll get different coloured decals for the lettering perhaps.

March 2, 2022, 12:32 p.m.

I picked up a steel frame recently and the paint is in great condition apart from a load of gravel rash in the downtube areas which goes through to the metal. I'm thinking that clear nail varnish (or a completely violently different colour) would suffice here ?

March 2, 2022, 4:58 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

I picked up a steel frame recently and the paint is in great condition apart from a load of gravel rash in the downtube areas which goes through to the metal. I'm thinking that clear nail varnish (or a completely violently different colour) would suffice here ?

car touch-up or model paint, i used turquoise nail polish on my yeti and i don't really notice that its not a perfect match down there,

I've also bought dark blue paint in the automotive section at canuck tire to match a Brodie frame

The main thing is that the black carbon isnt showing or on a steel frame the steel underneath is not showing and you don't really notice a scratch if the color is more or less right

but the real saviour is to wrap the frame when you get the bike before it gets scrathed,  I always just use a 25 $ roll of 3m from lordco

but the ride wrap is suposed to be great

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 2, 2022, 8:41 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
March 2, 2022, 10:26 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

I've used clear nail varnish as a rust prevention on scratched steel frames, seems fine.

March 3, 2022, 6:32 a.m.

Don't sandblast aluminum frames! Years ago a buddy did, painted it, built it up and a minute into the ride the whole bike folded LOL. Makes the thin aluminum even thinner. Instead use aircraft paint stripper. The stuff is super aggressive so use it in a ventilated area, then clean the frame in acetone after.

March 3, 2022, 5:56 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Don't sandblast aluminum frames! Years ago a buddy did, painted it, built it up and a minute into the ride the whole bike folded LOL. Makes the thin aluminum even thinner. Instead use aircraft paint stripper. The stuff is super aggressive so use it in a ventilated area, then clean the frame in acetone after.

^ ^ this! I’ve used it and it’s amazing. Brushed it on liberally. Half an hour later hosed it off and 95% striped. One more time in the nooks and crannies and done.

March 3, 2022, 8:23 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Posted by: T-mack

^ ^ this! I’ve used it and it’s amazing. Brushed it on liberally. Half an hour later hosed it off and 95% striped. One more time in the nooks and crannies and done.

Is it really necessary to strip the paint? I've also read that sanding the original paint slightly is all that's required.

That aircraft paint stripper must be nasty stuff to work that well!

Last edited by: Ouch on March 3, 2022, 8:25 p.m., edited 2 times in total.