Removing broken pedal grip pegs in Shimano MX30 pedals

Aug. 18, 2011, 8:30 p.m.

smacked my pedals a few times and have a couple of broken pedal grip pegs. the allen hole is either totally missing or so badly destroyed i cant remove it that way.

Some of the pegs are broken off almost flat on the pedal.

Whats the best way to remove?

EZ-out?

yes i still ride a bike…rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Aug. 18, 2011, 8:35 p.m.

drill it out, tap a larger one.

Aug. 18, 2011, 8:46 p.m.

i'd like to avoid drilling it out as i dont know where im going to find a larger thread pin

Aug. 18, 2011, 8:56 p.m.

is it still sticking out? are you on stock pins(if i recall stock pins are super short). If it's long enough for you to grip it with vice grip, just vice grip and unscrew

Aug. 18, 2011, 9:10 p.m.

Left Handed Drill bit. Go slow.

Ride BMX
Ride for yourself.

Aug. 18, 2011, 9:17 p.m.

yeah stock pins, just a touch sticking out. will try grips and see where i get to.

Aug. 18, 2011, 9:55 p.m.

try ez-out first, maybe shape the head(with vice grip; squeeze) so you can stick the ez out bit into where hex key is supposed to go in.

Aug. 18, 2011, 10:05 p.m.

try a left handed drill bit first then try an easy out. Left handed drill bits are pretty inexpensive, and almost always work first try. If it doesn't work, at least you have a hole for an easy out.

Ride BMX
Ride for yourself.

Aug. 18, 2011, 10:22 p.m.

I re-pinned mine last fall.

if there is still any pin sticking out above the pedal platform hit it with the vice grips. saves alot of hassle with the drill if at all possible
reverse drill each pin and then ez out the remaining pins. sometimes you get lucky while your drilling and the little bastards come right out.

you will be able to ez out some of the pins that you drill, but not all of them, for the ones that get all bunged up and stuck you will have to drill oversize and thread in bigger pins.

I can't remember the exact size of grub that i tapped up to but i think i nabbed some pins from a set of axiom road gap pedals and if look at the pedals you don't even notice that the pins are bigger in some holes.

two more tips:
file the tops of all of the broken pins level with the pedal platform and CAREFULLY center punch the pin before drilling. It will exponentially increase your success rate.

I haven't personally checked it out but a very reputable source has told me that Canadian Tire usually has an excellent selection of very small hex-head grub screws (see where i'm going with this?)

if not you can order replacement pins through any shop with the big fat Norco catalogue

Aug. 19, 2011, 11 a.m.

CT racing FTW

thanks guys i'll give it a shot tonite

Aug. 19, 2011, 11:23 a.m.

pacific fasteners on near 1st and boundary in burnaby has a wide selection of pins. i've re-pinned mine with beefier sizes.

Because that's just the way I roll…

Aug. 19, 2011, 3:02 p.m.

whats the pedal made of? thinking about throwing a blowtorch into the equation to help loosen things up a little.

Aug. 19, 2011, 3:57 p.m.

And this is why is only buy flats that have their hex/ screw/ allen head on the underside of the pins where they wont get mashed in.

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

Aug. 19, 2011, 6:01 p.m.

whats the pedal made of? thinking about throwing a blowtorch into the equation to help loosen things up a little.

magnesium